“Nice day ride for the area.”

Tunnel of Trees - M119
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Okay, I started this ride with somewhat of a great outlook based on all the rave. The colors are just barely changing in this part of Michigan, so the tunnel is still overly green, not a big deal for me. It's all about the road, not the color for me.

Speed limit is a posted 45mph, with driveways exiting onto the M119 everywhere! Be careful, homeowners pulling out often. If you like to ride, or drive 20mph's below the speed limit because of all the lookie loos, this is your road. As far as those who dare compare or rate the tunnel above the "Tail of the Dragon" in NC, I question those if they have actually ridden it. The "Tunnel" is NOWHERE close to the excitement and adrenilin rush of the "Dragon." If you like the lake, then this could be your ride, it is nice.

Aside from the slow traffic, on a Tuesday, be very careful of the loose gravel, and sand in some of the curves. Where there are any of a fun factor value, which are few and very far between. Mostly meanduring slow sweeping curves on this roadway, but as a stated, it is an enjoyable ride. No pullouts as the "Dragon" has for slower traffic, or photo opportunity areas, but the town prior to the roadway, Harbor Springs, is a nice place to stop and visit.

Overall, a nice ride if in the area.

Ridden on a full dresser, FLTRi.

1  Thank hdslam

Reviewed September 23, 2013

take your time and snjoy the drive stop in good heart get chicken pot pie and a cup of tea anytime is a good time to go the fall would be the best

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that I currently live in western PA and will be moving to northern Michigan in about 6 months. I was there in mid-September to tour the area and to see what my new home would look like. We drove the Tunnel of Trees (M-119 from Harbor Springs to Cross Village) around noon on a weekday. Traffic was very light which was nice because we could take our time. Although the drive was scenic, I have to say that it could have been one of a thousand roads in western PA. Nearly every one of our "back roads" are twisty, windy and tree covered. There were glimpses and peaks of the beautiful blue waters of the bay, but nearly all of the land along the bay is privately owned so there is nowhere to pull over to enjoy the view. You must stop at Legs Inn, though, in Cross Village at the end of the Tunnel of Trees. What a unique place for a meal and a beer. We will definitely be back to visit Legs Inn!

1  Thank abk1234
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Michigan State Route M-119, in the section between Harbor Springs and Cross Village is known as the Tunnel of trees. This 20 mile stretch of road winds along the Lake Michigan shoreline through twists and turns, hills and dales.

This stretch of road is narrow, the narrowest State Route in Michigan. For much of the ride you will be surrounded by trees of every kind. The trees are occasionally interrupted by horse farms along the way. And, it is almost expected that you will see some deer if you are traveling near dawn or dusk.

My wife and I have traveled this stretch in each of the last two summers. We took our time and enjoyed the ride, so the twenty miles ended up taking about forty minutes. In some areas the tree canopy completely engulfs the road, shading the way on the most sunny of days.

We are working on our plans to come back to this beautiful road during the Fall Color season.

This year we made a stop at the Good Hart Post Office and General Store. There we bought our desserts for the next couple of nights on our trip. We enjoyed he friendly banter of the locals, and shopped the store.

Right next to the General Store you will find Primitive Images Rustics. This quaint shop offers crafts from local artists, a selection of books, and teas from around the world. Occasionally they host afternoon tea, and all are welcome. This shop is only open from Memorial Day weekend until October 31, then it shuts down for the long winter.

If you find yourself looking for a way to enjoy some fantastic Northern Michigan scenery, and you are in the Petoskey or Harbor Springs Area, I strongly recommend a trip up the Tunnel Of Trees.

Read my full review at my blog here:

1  Thank Bobby-C-Blog
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Having been countless times down this scenic road, I don't have much to add that previous reviews haven't already stated. It is simply a fun, winding, beautiful drive, with a wonderful canopy of trees overhead the majority of the time. Great during any season, but Fall and Summer would be the best times. I have never been in the Spring, so cannot comment. We almost always head north to south and it usually has less traffic in that direction. I wish there were some pullouts, but that would be difficult. If you want a picture, you will have to pull into a driveway, most likely, or off to the side, if there is a side! However, people that do not like heights, you do not have to fear this road. There are no "drop-off" type areas-though it is on a bluff-but that bluff isn't really visible, in a sense, and woods surround you. Many beautiful homes, but most are hard to see.

WE always stop at the historic Good Hart General Store. Sometimes we purchase nothing-and sometimes we purchase food items or souvenirs. Always a friendly place.