“Hidden gem :)”

Torcroft Lodges
Edinburgh
“Hidden gem :)”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place is amazing - it is such a little hidden gem... not far from Loch Ness only about 5-10 mins drive!

The owner Simon was great, he was such a nice host greeting us when we arrived, showing us the lodge and all the information we required to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible! We were a family of 4 with a 5 months old baby and stayed at lodge 5 - the lodge itself was lovely and clean, I paid extra for a travel cot and high chair which were all set up when we arrived. There were also milk, tea, coffee and a packet of biscuits provided in the kitchen with a little note which was really thoughtful - a little bit of a personal touch :) They also provide you with DVDS, games, CD, books in the lodge which I thought it was very thoughtful too!!

The scenery was great, although the weather wasn't great but when you looked out the window, the view took my breaths away...

How the electric works is that you put money in the meter - Simon the host/owner has already put some money in for us to get started and over the weekend we did turn the heating on as it was quite cold however it didn't cost us a lot of money at all...

Overall I am really happy to have found this lodge as this wasn't the original lodge I was going to stay - as the other lodge was full I was then referred/recommended to this lodge and I have to say not disappointing at all!! In fact we drove past the lodge we were going to stay and I have to say this lodge looks far better!! Also the value of money is excellent!!

Thank you Simon for making our stay so special and wonderful - we will definitely come back again soon, hopefully nicer weather next time :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Pangster81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Excellent location, we were huge group with lots of kids, kids were busy in the front garden, away from noice of motor vehicle,Simon was very freindly, didnt find any fault except water pressure on shower, we have booked 3 cottages for 4 days even though we had our own utensils cottages were well equiped, bit of suggestion pls fix extractor fan on all kitchen! I would recommend any families and group to stay there, less trouble and you will have a good holiday also quality time, I am planing to visit again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mazoomy M
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My brother booked 3 lodges for a family weekend away,14 people in total,cannot fault anything,If I were to be picky then a wee bit more pressure in the shower would be good,but not essential. We had lodges 3 and 4 as well as the" Meiklie" lodge where my sister inlaw made a full sunday roast dinner for all!!,very well equiped indeed,we all fitted in the kitchen,surroundings were well kept,some deer came and visited,we saw buzzards,finches and a lot in between,toured the area and ate out at the local CAMRA award winning hotel,all in all,a fantastic few days,we will go back.The owners Lucy and Simon only took over about a year ago and are working very hard to improve what is already a great place,They are nice people and biker friendly

Room Tip: Meiklie lodge sleeps 8 and is very spacious
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank John G
Somerset
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Torcroft and happy to say that we were very pleased with our little break despite the horrendous weather ! The lodge is nicely situated a few mins away from the nearest town and the LochNess visitor centre. Very peaceful, well maintained and warm. Simon and Lucy were very accomodating and all in all very good value for money. The only issue I had was that I neglected to read the part where it said to bring your own towels but Lucy supplied a bale at £5 rental so ok, and i would expect toilet rolls to be provided too to be honest, especially for 3 day stays.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PonyToes
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We spent a week in the Highlands and booked Loch Ness Retreats as our base and I am so glad that we did.

When we arrived, our lodge was unlocked for us, the heater was on and there was a note on the table, telling us that there was coffee, tea and milk in the fridge!

The lodge itself was very comfortable and homely, warm and very well looked after. everything was clean and tidy.

The lodges give excellent access to the local area including Loch Ness, Glen affric, Inverness etc

Waking up in the Highlands and seeing a deer stood outside your lodge is a wonderful experience and gives you some idea of the area in which these lodges are nestled.

We had a fantastic week in the Highlands which was made all the better by our stay in the lodge.

As I have titled this review I really do wish I could give this more stars, the lodges and the level of customer service are second to none and we cannot wait to revisit.

5 out of 5

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank smee193
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Wow, what can I say? I loved Torcroft Lodges, I stayed there for a week in October with my wife and 2 year old daughter. The lodge was fantastic and had everything you'd need for your stay, they were really spacious, very clean and well maintained. The owners, Simon and Lucy, live onsite and were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. It's the perfect place to stay while you explore the stunning surrounding area. I was even greeted one chilli morning when I opened the door by a pair of Roe deer running around the large green area infront of the lodges, so no need to go looking for the local wildlife, they come to you! (bad pic attached, sorry camera fogged up and it didn't like the cold!)
I'll definitely be returning to Torcroft in the future and I can't recommend it enough if you're looking to visit the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Chad D
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I really cant say enough positive things about this place, we found this place 4 years ago by chance (me and my girlfriend) and have just recently return simple because i could not see any reason to go anywhere else. It is a perfect location just outside of Drum. you really feel you have just gone back in time. on both occasions we have not wanted to leave (the highlands or Torcroft). these lodges are perfect for families of for couples, it is like being home from home, if you have not got it in your lodge or available to you then to be honest you dont need it. This is the best value for money you will get ( that does not mean Simon you can put the prices up). drive down the road and look at what the hotels charge per night and compare it to what these guys give you, no contest. These lodges are spotless well catered for and equipted i could not say one thing that i was not happy with (well maybe arguing with the better half each morning about who was getting out of bed to put the heating on)

it it perfectly place to explore some of the most beautifil parts of the area and i would recommend Plodda falls in Glen Affric absolutley amazing.

I am just disappointed that i left it 4 years to return, i will be returning sooner that you think

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jay_jay4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balnain
The Lovat, Loch Ness
#1 of 5 in Balmaha
Camping Pod Heaven
Camping Pod Heaven
#2 of 4 in Abriachan

Been to Torcroft Lodges? Share your experiences!