“Beautiful View!”

Aquila d'Oro
Whitestone, New York
“Beautiful View!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The view of Lake Garda was breathtaking, the food in the restaurant was delicious as was breakfast and the staff was very helpful and friendly. There is ample free parking and Wi-Fi throughout the building. The pool was delightful after a day of sightseeing and an attendant was there to accommodate any needs we had. It is a PERFECT venue for a wedding! The only minor downside is that our room was a bit small for three people but certainly would stop us from returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Aquila d'Oro Hotel, Golden Eagle, itself it's nice; it’s located between Sirmione and Desenzano, in a great location for visiting the Garda Lake by car. It has a wonderful view of the lake and the structure is quite modern. The general comfort is adequate enough, and there’s a very useful parking. It has wi-fi, room cleaning and sleeping comfort of the bed are ok. The lake side rooms are nice. Very good value for money, definitely convenient. Looking at these matters, I may suggest it. The hotel also has a park and a restaurant overlooking the lake, but I have not tried. The breakfast it's served in a very nice glassed room and is quite large, although it offers more packaged products instead of fresh ones. For an Anglo-Saxon tourist, on the buffet are missing many dishes, but you may demand a La Carte. That said, there are several aspects that I didn’t appreciate. Firstly, the quality of room's comforts, in my opinion not at the same level of the international standards for a 4 stars hotel. Although it offers a lot, I didn't notice the finishes typical of this category, I've found everything basic in some way. For example, the bathroom dated and not so refined, the bed sides lack the courtesy lights, the walls are very thin and you can hear the sounds from the other rooms. The Hotel it’s sometimes a little bit kitsch. Eg, the decorations inspired by Klimt, which are pointing to the artist's stay on the lake, but they are too heavy and needlessly burdening the interiors. Instead I recognize that someone else may like this. So, just don't expect a great luxury, average and not too fancy, but good. I must say that I have noticed this in all the Garda region, it seems that in the area they haven't known how to reinvent themselves: everything from restaurant menus to the hotels has stagnated at 20, 30 years ago, which sends back to a kind of approach to the tourism tipycal of the 80's, an era of German and Italian tourists that has completely disappeared. I think that they haven’t well understood the needs of the modern tourists and I must say that the hotel staff gave me the same impression, not too friendly, with some behaviors that I found exceedingly confidential, but these are subjective issues. This does detract anything from the beauty and importance of the place: overall, the Lake Garda absolutely worth a visit and the Aquila d'Oro hotel can be a good place as HQ.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WillyHotelInsider
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We spent several nights in the hotel with the rain coming down all around us and found this hotel to be wonderful. Each morning, we looked out on our terrace and thought - it must be gorgeous beyond when the fog lifts and the sun shines. By the third day we could see the mountains. You´ll enjoy wildlife even in the rain.

This little gem reminds me of going to the lake with my family in America. You can hear conversations on your balcony- these conversations will be in German, Italian, French and more. You´ll hear children in the hall so do anticipate that you are on holiday with others.

Breakfast in a big open glassed in room is like dining in a Klimt painting. You´ll enjoy watching the ducks and other wildlife gather for breakfast also.

The surrounding area is lovely with lots to see and do - even in the pouring rain. The hotel has a terrific pool, I wish it had been warm enough to try it out,

The rooms are plain and I loved that we could stack our tons of travel gear and suitcases all at eye level. We took over the room having been on the road for a long period of time and unsure what was in which bag. The teapot in the room was used for afternoon tea while watching the lake fill up with rain.

I personally loved that there are two chairs in the room and two on the balcony. I enjoyed having my own chair.

I would return and have a family reunion or event as the hotel is large and comfortable.
The restaurant was not open for the season when were there, so the front desk directed us to some local spots that were very good.

Room Tip: The restaurant was not open for the season when were there.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in Aquila d'Oro for one night only in a lake view room.
The room was exactly what we saw in the pictures of the hotel, it had a good size balcony with 2 chairs and a table and the view was just gorgeous!
The rooms are clean but could have little improvements done having in mind this is a 4 star hotel, the common areas were in very good condition and to my suprise the decor of the hotel is inspired by the work of Klimt, which is one of my favourite artists, and that was a treat.
There was no breakfast included however we bought things the day before and enjoyed an amazing breakfast with lake and sirmione views.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rita A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I chose to get married at L'Aquila d'Oro. We considered venues in the UK, France and Italy, mostly villas. We chose this venue for two reasons: this place was able to handle a plan B in case of rain; a marquee would have cost a several thousand Euros. The other reason was the restaurant: our guests did not eat re-heated food.

We visited the venue on an original scouting trip in October 2011, then met the chef in February 2012 and finally the day before our wedding in May 2012. The organisers were very accommodating. For example we requested a cake of cheese (as in a tower of cheeses) and they agreed. They offered a discount to wedding guests who wanted to stay on site (most of our guests stayed elsewhere)

Following from the meeting in February where we chose the food, we had not finalised the menu. After the aperitif, we wanted one antipasto, two starters and a main (then cheese and cake) Most of the starters on offer were rissotto or pasta. We didn't want to serve two carb dishes and invited the chef, Fabio, to propose some alternatives, but he was rather resistant to this so in the end we went for two antipasti and one starter.

The venue's restaurant is one level down from the entrance and leads out to a balcony overlooking the lake. Above this is the bar and there is an Annexe outside where the ceremony and dancing were to be held. When we visited L'Aquila on the eve of our wedding the manager, Sonia asked us to bring all our music on a USB stick. When I arrived she said she has told us to bring the music for the ceremony on a CD the rest on USB (my wife subsequently confirmed that she had said a USB stick) I asked about the possibility of burning the music to a CD, and then started to panic. One of my guests speaks Italian, another is a sound engineer, so I delegated to them whilst I was dealing with the other 101 things that needed sorting before the bride arrived. In the end, I heard the Windows XP USB noise and started to relax!

The weather had been looking ominous: the wind was strong and there were clouds rolling in. Only 20 chairs had been set out for 100 guests. I assume the staff had been waiting to see what happened with the weather. While my friends were sorting out the sound, I was asked if we were to have the aperitif in the bar or outside on the balcony. Based on the weather, I agreed with their recommendation (indoors). During the ceremony, the older relatives were able to sit, but the rest of the guests had to stand. In the end I was not upset about this as it meant they ended up standing around us in a semi-circle, allowing them to move about to get a better view. The ceremony wasn't too long anyway.

Immediately after the ceremony, as we were walking back from the annexe, the maitre d' approached us and asked if we wanted to have the aperitif outside again, given that the weather had improved substantially. We agreed and as we walked in by the front, we saw the staff moving glasses and bottles downstairs. We are very grateful for all the extra work that was carried out!

After the meal, we adjourned to the bar upstairs (we had originally intended for the dancing to be outside where the ceremony had been, but it had gotten quite cold by then) for the first dance. Recall that Sonia had said that only the ceremony music needed to be on CD, but the dancing was supposed to be at the same place, so this doesn't make sense. We were told to wait for a bit as there was a problem with the sound (oh no!). Anyway, the sound engineer got back in there. We had our first dance but the volume was really not loud enough, in fact the volume was far to low for the first half hour of the dancing before my friend fixed it. We never found out why this was the case. Perhaps they didn't want hotel guests disturbed? (As far as I could tell the only hotel guests who weren't also wedding guests had gatecrashed the party at this point)

In February we had discussed menu and I had asked about alcohol (they had some sort of after dinner "open bar" for a fixed price, I never really understood what exactly this was). I was assured there would be enough alcohol included in the per person price. Needless to say they weren't expecting British wedding guests. The next day we went back to settle the bar tab; apparently we had consumed double the wine allowance and a bunch of other drinks on top of this. Oh well.

Finally we had to leave at about half past midnight, but we had known about this before hand and the party resumed elsewhere.

I will summarise the negatives: the chef was not flexible on his menu; there were not enough chairs during the ceremony; twin debacle with the music; insufficient alcohol included as part of the package; the closing time.

Despite all this, I'm still giving L'Aquila 5 stars. I'm hoping they will read this and try to improve. The negatives listed above aren't that bad, I've seen worse at other weddings. The service was exemplary. The food was delicious. They moved the aperitif outdoors at short notice. The venue is well situated with a breathtaking view.

Recommended for weddings!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Noobab
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Spent one week in August in this hotel. The hotel is located around 3km from Desenzano so you do need a car, but the setting is perfect. The hotel is set in gardens on the lake of Garda. The decor may be a little garish for some, but it does have it's charm. The room was great, of good size, clean and looked out onto the lake. The swimming pool area was very relaxing and perfect after a day sightseeing. Breakfast is catered more to the European, but fried eggs, bacon and omlettes were available on request. The lady serving breakfast was extremely friendly and attentive. The only downside was that after 6 there was no place to have a drink as the bar closed. However we bought drinks from the local supermarket and used the hotel fridge. The hotel is serves as a great base for touring lake Garda.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Metravel
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Been there for years, get worse and worse rooms despite being a regular. Still no WiFi in the rooms, Ethernet cables at reception. Quality of rooms and service still high, but only in the rooms with Lakeview, avoid the others.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business