“Some good, a few could do better”

Hotel Acquaviva del Garda
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in September.
Overall I would recommend the hotel.
We had a "panorama" room, but on the first floor. The panorama view of the car park was brilliant. In fairnees to the hotel staff, they were not able ot offer us an alternative room on the first day but did offer a change of room, on day two, which we did not take. Morale of the story is, if you book a room with "' a view" make sure you are on floors 2 or above.
Wifi in the bedrooms. at least ours, was lousy. We could not connect.
I do not know why people rave about the breakfast. Limited choice and no fresh juice. 4 out of 10 at best.
Lunch time restaurant was good.
Liked the access to the lake.
Swimming pool needs to be 10 degrees warmer.

Would return.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Acquaviva del Garda

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had a beautiful experience at this hotel.
First of all, the structure is modern and well mantained in all its different areas: lobby, rooms, SPA, breakfast room etc..
It is located a few kilometres from Desenzano center.
We were given a free upgrade upon our arrival that we really appreciated: we were placed in a big room with a balcony overlooking the garden.
The bed was incredibly big.
Bathroom was big as well, with a huge bathtube that suited both of us.
Prices for the minibar were fair.
Breakfast was OK, with a good selection of food.
Our rate included the access to the the SPA, which was nice with its comfortable swimming pool, and a separate area with sauna, whirlpool and a tub with cold water.
There is also a small relax area where you can have some hot tea and fruits.
According to their rules,kids are allowed in the swimming pool area while they shouldn't access the other area.
Unfortunately, I found some of them playing loudly outside the sauna and I had to ask for help at the reception. I think staff should improve this aspect, supervising the area and also considering that the spa is a different concept from a swimming pool, and people pay for relax not for kids playing and shouting and running around.
Finally, bikes are rented for 2,50€ and small dogs pay 15 € per day, which for me it is too pricey.
A special mention for the staff whom were warm and kind at any time!
Overall, I had a nice stay at this hotel and I do recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Excellent hotel.

The good:
Excellent breakfast, excellent rooms, excellent service, excellent indoor pool (29 degrees), very easy underground access to the lake (private beach)...

The bad:
Water in outdoor pool was cold, heating in all jacuzzis by the lake didn't work, food in restaurants for lunch and dinner is so so and expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Slavik N
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel has everything, despite a slightly faded 1970's exterior inside it is spacious and efficient, it has two swimming pools, a gym, health spa and more massage therapies than you can shake a stick at, it even has a secret underground tunnel under the road which brings you to a private beach with 3 jacuzzi's, sunbeds and a cabin bar (closed when we were there). The room was large and airy with a comfortable bed and stunning views over the lake (optional extra), the bathroom was well equipped and the bath was immense, the air conditioning was almost silent and the level of maintenance was very high. The receptionists were helpful and smiley as were all the staff, although in some cases it did seem a little forced and over the top. It also caters heavily for the corporate client and this shows in the one negative aspect, the hotel has no atmosphere, it is clean, formal, efficient and expertly run, but soulless, the restaurant menu was also somewhat restricted and a little unimaginative, it didn't invite me back in. Overall this is an excellent hotel and you would be pushed to find better for the money.

Room Tip: The lake views are stunning and worth paying a bit extra for.
1  Thank mike_withinshaw
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Drive in may underwhelm you but as soon as you get inside you'll start to feel the quality. Stayed for 3 nights as part of 3 week honeymoon. Rooms were clean and a good size with the bathroom being well stocked for products and a powerful shower.

Breakfast was excellent; fresh juices and fruit and the bacon and eggs were cooked as well as you can hope to expect from a hote buffet. If yo're s inclined there's a good array of cakes/biscuits.

Hotel ameneties are what you come here for. The spa is lovely (albeit full of middle-aged men when we were there between 6-7pm). Pool is cold (if that's your preference, which it is mine) and the sauna/steam room were large and comfortable. Free fruit in the spa area was welcome but avoid the warm liquid in the pot. Tastes like nothing I've had before and reminiscent of dentists' wash. The outdoor pool is great but heavily populated by children. If yhou want more peace, hole-up at the 'beach' area - great place to relax and more adult atmosphere.

It's a brisk 30 minute walk from Desenzano centre which is a bit of a pain on the walk back after dinner a few drinks ,but tbh, Desenzano is not all that it might be.

I'd receommend visiting Sirmione (by bike or by boat) which is a great little town about 10k away. Garda market was pretty big but full ofthe usual fayre.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was there for a quick holidays.. Just 3 days over the weekend.

Very modern rooms and hotel, perfectly clean with awesome services like private beach on the lake with iacuzzi pools, beautiful and free Spa and internal pool over the roof.. Inside a pleasant garden.

Nothing to remarks, just wonderful stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

The second part of my holiday at Lake Garda I was staying at Acquaviva in Desenzano del Garda. I was quite enthusiastic about this place due to the reviews and pictures I have read/seen about this place.

These are my experiences about this place:
Our welcome was quite ok. Little formal, little distant, but the lady spoke English and explained clearly the services in the hotel. Piccolo was of great help and service! The hotel has a big, cool lobby.

We had a panoramic room. That was a little bit of a disappointment. I brought my tripod to make some nice time lapse sunset movies/pictures, but it was neglected during my stay :( mostly we saw the Acquaviva complex, a terrace, the path to the swimming pool and a littlebit of the lake far far away...

The room is modern, very spacious, with lots of cabinets/closets and to big chairs.
It has a very good bed, good airconditioning, balcony (hot and lots of mosquitos!), small minibar (not free and already missing a drink, I wonder if we have to pay for it), small LCD screen with mostly Italian channels.

Room service (cleaning) is indeed on different times. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes late in the afternoon. Cleaners are pretty rough too, hence the noise they made in the room next to us (after the guests have checked out)... You will get clean towels every day. Shampoo and stuff only when they feel like it. Toot brushes e.g. Only when you ask for it (brochure). Pretty clean, though we found a bug (dead for awhile) between the sheets.

Breakfast... Hmmm... How should I put this... I am a lad of almost 90kg. I only ate 1 slice of bread and some fruit and drink an espresso. Not much huh, it just wasn't a decent breakfast. Some waiters are very friendly, ask the waiter for a (way better) cup of coffee. Don't get it from the coffee pot. I was quite disappointed about the breakfast. Not a lot of choice (in bread or fresh fruit) and usually not very tasty (scrambled eggs, sausages, chocolate pane).

Big plus is earned by the beach terrace. Good location (south), enough beds to sunbathe, umbrellas, tubs and showers, bar, it's cosy and has enough privacy. The path to the sea is nice too. Bartender is very friendly too. Haven't tried the swimming pool which is on a differen location.

Wellness is good, had a good sport massage. Ladies are friendly too.

Parking is a disaster. A lot of people not staying at the hotel park here (especially on Saturdays or during fireworks event), so you have to wait or park your car elsewhere. Sometimes they let you park in the garage (usually 5 euro a time).

Wifi is free. Only available in the rooms. It's annoying you get disconnected every time after a few minutes even when data is transferred.

I also find it disturbing people of the hotel let outsiders in to use the pool late in the evening/night (I witnessed a locked door near the garage was opened from the inside to let them in) (Guests may not use it after 8 or 9.) People who has no business here wander in the hotel. The hotel personnel didn't take any actions...

+ Location of the hotel
+ Great beach terrace
+ Modern looking hotel, big rooms

- Different service levels of the employees, some don't speak English at all
- Breakfast
- Panoramic view from the room is disappointing (in our situation)
- Quite expensive for what you get
- Not enough parking spaces (especially in the evening)

In my opinion not a recommendation to others. My first hotel was of absolute class (especially in comparison with this hotel). Staying in a luxurious, comfortable, intimate hotel (Villa dei Cedri, gave it 4 stars, but with a renewed review I gave it a 5) and leaving that for Acquaviva, that is a game Acquaviva could never win...

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank WLL1976
LUCIA S, General Manager at Hotel Acquaviva del Garda, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

I'm really sorry to note that we were not able to meet Your expectations.

We believe that the chance caused those inconveniences: the effects of the interventions against insects might have been cancelled by the excessively hot weather; the cleaning staff is usually really silent and starts to work quite late; it’s hard to understand how, but if an insect was in the sheets, it might be because the window was left opened … Our service is always accurate so to satisfy at the best Clients.
We are glad you appreciated our rooms furniture; the 26’’ screen TV shows different channels, and not only Italian ones (French, English, German); connecting to the WiFi in all indoor Hotel areas has never given problems; and the courtesy service in the rooms is replaced or supplemented every day.
Breakfast is usually appreciated for the variety and completeness of our buffet: fresh and canned fruit, different kinds of cakes, different types of pastries, breads, italian and international cheese, ham, salami, fruit juice, freshly squeezed orange, and espresso, cappuccino, or coffee are served at the table.

I would also like to reassure our Guests about strangers: it is not possible that someone entered the gate, we have a night security service that takes place when the hotel staff on duty is reduced; moreover, no one was found using the pool after 8.00 p.m..

We hope, maybe after some time, You will remember hotel Acquaviva for his positive aspects, and maybe You will give us the chance to show our quality and our professionalism during a next stay.

Lucia Sacchini

Admiral Hotel Villa Erme
Admiral Hotel Villa Erme
#18 of 41 in Desenzano Del Garda
Hotel Parchi del Garda

Been to Hotel Acquaviva del Garda? Share your experiences!