“Can't say they didn't try”
Review of Astoria

Astoria
Haifa, Israel
“Can't say they didn't try”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Me and my wife stayed in Astoria for 8 days during our fall vacation. Our overall impression is mixed, so I'll stick to the list of the things we liked and did not.

Pros:
The hotel is well situated - 2 minutes walking from the lake itself and extra 10 minutes to the ferry stop. Good access to Milano-Venice highway.
It has a big enough parking lot - it always had space for our car.
The stuff (the owners) are very friendly and sincerely caring, speak good english. They were extremely nice to give us two free GardaLand tickets.
The room had free Wi-Fi (very convinient for those who not yet switched to 3G+WiFi tethering).
The room had 20' LCD with RGB connector, so we projected movies from our netbook.
The top floor has an open terrace with a view to the lake and tables to sit around.
The breakfast was very tasty.

Cons:
The elevator was broken for two days. The stuff was quite upset by this and apologized all the time. They even gave us a teapot with tea for free. The day after the elevator was fixed, evening tea costed us 2 euro.
The shampoo and the soap were the worst I ever saw in hotels - had to buy our own.
The furniture was primitive and outdated.
AC was old and noisy, however cooled well.
The door wasn't soundproof at all, and we were disturbed by other guests going through the hall.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DimaDD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I spent four nights at the Astoria last week and it was truly delightful! I walked from the station with one bag on good wheels...all downhill and it took me about 20 mins. (I did take a taxi back to the station uphill!)

The owner, Gisberto, and his family were as helpful as anyone could be. At check in, I was provided timetables for the lake boats and a map of the lake with the most desirable cities circled as he told me about each one. The room was not modern, but spotlessly clean! But the bathroom was very modern. Breakfast was very nice...much better than average. A good selection and very fresh.

I had no problem with noise, but I always have earplugs with me when I travel!

I can't say enough about the staff. Every day they patiently spoke to me in Italian when I am sure English would have been easier for them. They became my Italian teachers during my stay.

This hotel was very good value for the money. It's location for exploring this magnificent lake was perfect. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sherrypalmbeach
Egham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My partner and I stayed in Astoria Hotel for 7 nights in September 2011. This was our second visit to this hotel in past 3 years.

The hotel is ideally located for attractions and is low cost with always helpful and very friendly staff. Rooms are clean and bathrooms have been recently upgraded although showers are a little small.

Rooms are air conditioned which is essential in this climate!!

The hotel offers a perfect base for an extremely relaxing stay on beautiful Lake Garda.Venice and Verona are an easy train journey away (although the train station is a 25 minute uphill walk from the Hotel).

Overall a very pleasant hotel which we will be using again the f
uture. Excellent value for money!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
kfar vradim
Reviewed April 24, 2011

if you want a modest hotel with a very good location and service, this your number 1 choice!
The owner is very helpful and polite and will give you tips about all that is happning in the Garda lake area.
Breakfast is very European, without vegetables.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mkl1963
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I took my partner to Lake Garda for his 30th birthday and had to choose a different and more affordable hotel at the last minute and went for the Astoria based on reviews on another site. The hotel itself is old and the decor very traditional but the room we stayed in was very clean as was the hotel overall. We both particularly loved the vintage lift, it was a joy to use. The owner of the hotel was absolutely delightful and as helpful as can be, we spent quite some time talking about our mutual interests, music, holiday destinations etc. The hotel is non smoking in reception and rooms but the roof terrace did the trick and also had great views of the lake. Location wise it was perfect as it was only a short stroll to the center of Desenzano, right beside the ruins of a roman villa but still enough out of the way to be very quiet and peaceful. Breakfast was included in the price and offered a great selection to cater to all tastes. The rooms all come with a safe and ensuite bathroom. Overall, we had a great experience and where value for money is concerned we were perfectly satisfied.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tomroths18
Southampton, England
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I travel independantly every year and use Trip advisor to research the Hotels i stay in. Prior to my trip i had read some mixed reports about this hotel on this site. We arrived at Hotel Astoria after catching a plane to Bergamo, we then used to a train to transport us from there to Desenzano del Garda, the taxi from the train station to the hotel cost 10 euros, which for the distance i found quite excessive. if you don't have lots of luggage its a 15 minute walk downhill.

When we arrived i was hot and sweaty and just needed a shower. The book in was painless and quick. The lift in the hotel was very small so only the luggage was able to be transported up to the second floor whilst we had to walk. Not really an issue.

The room was of a reasonable size or it would have been if i did not have my teenage son and two year old with me, but we expected this and it was not a shock. The room was clean and tidy and did have a/c, thank god. The room was also very dark which i found out was due to the shutters which were pulled down. I pulled them up, later i realised why they were pulled down. After a quick shower we escaped to explore our surroundings. Seeing as this was my first visit to Lake Garda i was keen to explore.

The Lake was no more than 50 meters away although you cannot see the lake from the Hotel and they have no rooms with a view. You can go onto the roof terrace and just about see the Lake.

After possible the worst Pizza i have ever tasted we returned to the hotel.

This is where i found my first fault with the Hotel. As i had a young child the days of me staying out late in the bars etc are over and one of the reasons i chose this hotel was because it stated it had satellite TV with english speaking channels.

Well i suppose it didn't lie!! If you are German, French or Italian you are well catered for, as for my fellow brits unless you are bi-
lingual prepare to be dissapointed. CNN was the only english speaking channel or if you were lucky which i wasn't maybe BBC news, after one day of the US Presidential campaign i was a bit peeved off.

We woke up very early and i now know why those shutters were there, the sunlight in the morning was intense and i had to get up about 4am to close them.

Breakfast was between 7 and 10.30 and was an above average continental choice(see Photo). Exactly what i expected except for the frozen hard boiled eggs which i had to heat in a cup of hot water, to become edible.

By the time we returned to our room to prepare for the days ahead they had been cleaned, beds and towels changed. Excellent!!

The front desk were always helpful and the free internet was very useful. The boat & Bus terminal was only 5 minutes away, next to a very good little park which we visited every day as it had electric trains and cars 1 euro a go.

From this hotel we visited Garda, Sirmione, Lazise, Gardaland, Peschiera.

I would rate this hotel as above average and except for the TV enjoyed my time here. Not too expensive and very clean

• Liked — Free Internet, Good Breakfast, Clean rooms
  • Disliked — No english speaking TV except CNN
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank peter023
LIVERPOOL UK
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed her for three nights in August. Good location...just a few minutes walk from the ferry-port and town centre. Nice clean hotel. No satellite TV or pool but it does have a roof garden. Staff speak good English and very friendly. Our only problem was staying on a Saturday night. Desenzano is the ‘capital’ of Lake Garda, which means that it is much larger than other towns on the lake with more bars and clubs. Many people seem to come here for a party weekend. As we came back on Saturday evening (about 10.45pm) lots of others were just going out. That wasn’t so bad until they started returning! From 2AM right through to 7AM we were kept awake by young Italians coming back (not necessarily drunk but just very, very noisy....shouting, arguing banging on doors etc. We just didn’t sleep at all. They all checked out next day and the Sunday and Monday nights were great.

If you are one of the ones that may like to drink and party all night this is ideal ..for everyone else I would suggest just avoid Saturdays.

Breakfast is great and very usefully there is free internet in lobby.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no English TV channels and saturday nights
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank PAULKILLEN