“GREAT LOCATION ---- PAULO THE MANGER - GREAT GUY”

Hotel Lido International
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Great views from balcony rooms at back of hotel,very clean / tidy..
We also found the rooms a good size and all amenities provided.
Breakfast / dinner are good value and well presented to table by friendly staff but found ,as did others, wine and drinks a touch expensive - lots of places ,pubs, cafes,restaurants in the short 5 min walk to Desenzano .
Overall, a pleasent hotel with great location on the lake with a very friendy and helpfull manager ,Paulo .
Would go back again soon

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 30, 2009

We arrived with some large reservations!! After reading the most awful reviews we were prepared for the worst. thankfully none of these came to fruit.
We had a wonderful time. The rooms and the views were supberb. Resturant and service first class. All the staff were polite, understanding and did have limited english which you would expect in Italy.
The location itself was ideal if you wanted to get to places either by bus or ferry or just pop local.
We all had a totally relaxing time in this hotel whether it was by the pool or on the lake-side.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2009

The reason for booking this hotel was based on the recent reviews on this site. We booked via Crystal, flying from Cardiff. All flights and transfers were on time. The location of the hotel is, as described right on the side of the lake and the view is superb. You must opt for a balcony room as this enables you to gain the full benefit from the great views. The balconies are in shade which is just right as the temperatures can get quite high and the shade makes a welcome break. The air conditioning worked well and the room and servicing of the room were spot on. What made our holiday was the service of the staff of particular note is the resturaunt manager, Paulo, (Hope i spelt it right) who went out of his way to make you feel welcome and always had time to look after you and remember your names and took an interest in everything you were doing throughout the week, for this we thank him. The waiting staff were very courtious and came from various locations, italy, austria. Claearly the training given by Paulo reflects in the quality of service.

The food in the resturaunt is of a very good standard. You do order your evening meal at brakfast but this is not a problem. In the week were there we had two gala dinners which again were of a good standard.

The pool is warm with sun loungers, some could do with replacing but they were all fully functional. We found the lake to be warmer than the pool and as it is only 10 metres from the hotel (privat enterance) we tended to use this.

Ignore any previous comments about unfriendly reception staff, this is not the case. it may be that their command of the english language is not as good as the resturaunt staff but they are very helpfull.

I would recommend hiring the cycles on offer at the hotel 4 euros for 1/2 day, 6 euros for full day. You can cycle to simione in about 20 minutes and you see a lot more.

A supermarket is located 5 mins walk away prices are cheap with good italian wine being under 2 euros.

There is no kettle in the room so take one if you wish a coffee in the room.

Desenzano is a lovely base and very friendly in the town centre. It is very cosmipolitan with lots of cafe's and resturaunts. Dont expect signs for english breakfasts and macdonalds. As with the hotel the english are in the minority which I think is an advantage. The hotel was mainly occupied by german tourists and because of the friendly nature of the hotel we all got on well and made some friends.

The only trip we undertook was to venice on an organised trip. Again transfers spot on. Plenty of free time when you are there would recommend the additional lagoon trip and to get lost in the back streets. You cant really do venice justice in a day and would look to go back for three or four days.

To sum it up a great hotel in a great location with great staff. Dont expect burgers and chips you are going to italy enjoy the italian food, We cant wait to go back.

Steve and Chis Parker

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2009

After reading some of the reviews here I was expecting not to be impressed by this hotel but I was in for a surprise! When we first arrived at the hotel we went onto the terrace to look at the view and it's outstanding.
Yes I agree with most people about reception. Although we found just one of the reception ladies was a bit miserable but there were two others that were more friendly.
The food on most nights was good and the waiters were absolutely excellent! Very friendly and charming - just brilliant!
The rooms were very clean and yes definitely get a room with a lakeview. To wake up to that view is amazing!
Loved Lake Garda and will definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank IzzyKent
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I'd looked at this hotel for quite a few years and this year managed to get a really good last minute deal, so despite knowing that I would be getting a room facing the busy road (and it is busy!) with no balcony I decided to give it a go. Afterall your room is only somewhere to sleep! The first night I was aware of the traffic which does go by all through the night but after that became less aware of it. There is air con in the room which didn't seem that effective, possibly being more subtle rather than blasting out (room 47) but considering the heat it obviously had some effect as I did manage to stay relatively cool. Lovely double bed which is a real treat as most single rooms have the smallest of beds, so that was nice. Minibar as well to keep your drinks cool and lovely sized bathroom with good shower.

I enjoyed the food very much, both at breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was the same every day with both hot and cold food on offer. Evening meal was ordered at breakfast with a choice of four starters and three main courses. On reflection the wine is very expensive per bottle averaging around €13 to €16. Spirits with mixer were around €4.80. Not much happening at the hotel on a night, drinks served outside overlooking the lake which is very pleasant or you could take the short walk into town where there are lots of choices of bar and places to sit out.

The pool area is very comfortable and yes there are a few beds around which are broken but even when the pool area was busy (but it didn't feel busy) no-one was looking around for a bed. I spent all my days round the pool and it was lovely and relaxing watching the activity on the lake.

Now we get to the ladies on reception and yes, they can come across as being unhelpful and because of a previous review stating this I tended to have little to do with them, but generally they are okay and some do have a limited knowledge of English. On the last day I had to leave my room at 11 am and wasn't being picked up until 3 pm so I asked to keep my room on. No. So I asked if there was a room I could use. No. Basically I think the hotel was not full and yes I could have kept the room but on asking two different receptionists and getting the same answers ended up showering at the pool and then using the downstairs toilet to change and dry my hair - not ideal but manageable! Also I wasn't allowed to pay my bar bill using both euros and credit card, was told it would have to be either one or the other. Strange because I've always been allowed to do that in other hotels!!

So to sum up, great little hotel, great food, lovely pool area and not too far from the town or supermarkets and yes I would definitely go back. Great hassle free holiday at an excellent spot on the lake.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank windymiller
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Booked late with Thompson and wasn't expectng very much but were astounded with the room and the view when we arrived. Has obviously just had a refurb as everything looked new/recently decorated.

Make sure you get a room with a lakeview - probably the best view on the whole lake looking North towards the mountains. Had air-conditioning, a balcony and a big double bed although it was 2 singles pushed together!

The food is fantastic! We were Half-board and there was plenty on offer for breakfast although it is typically continental. The evening food is out of this world with 4 courses every night. The service was fantastic and Paulo the manager deserves a medal due to his friendliness and customer care is like nothing I've experienced in this country! It lacked atmosphere slightly but that's mostly down to the clients rather than the staff.

Pool was great to sunbathe by and perfect to have a quick dip in. The town is really close with great transport links and was the best place we saw on the lake. Also, the Thompson Rep was really helpful. True, Reception staff aren't great but I'd put that down to their lack of English rather than a lack of manners.

Overall, fantastic holiday, easily 4*.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davidcross100
Reviewed July 11, 2009

we had a wonderful stay, we booked (& got) a lake view which was truly stunning & the room was lovely, very clean & comfortable. Location is excellent, just a few minutes (less than 5!) from the centre of Desenzano. Food (evening meals) was delicious with excellent service, Paulo is the head waiter & nothing was too much trouble (as a vegeterian I was offered more choice than many restaurants offer!). No internet access but internet cafe along the road in Desenzano (you need your passport or driving licence on your 1st visit). Swimming pool not huge but ideal for a refreshing dip after a day of sightseeing. Overall a great holiday :-)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple