Agriturismo Podere San Lorenzo
Park Hotel le Fonti(Volterra)(Great Value!)
$107
  • Pool
Villa Porta all'Arco(Volterra)(Great Value!)
$86
$82
Agrihotel Il Palagetto(Volterra)(Great Value!)
$115
San Lino(Volterra)
$121
$85
  • Breakfast included
Hotel La Locanda(Volterra)(Great Value!)
$84
Hotel Etruria(Volterra)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscooking classolive treesrecipe booknatural swimming poolother guestsspaghettiapple cakefresh pastanightly dinnerspring poolprivate terrace overlookingpork loinfollow the signsstayed for nightssitting areatuscan countrysidesmall kitchen
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is the most wonderful place to stay and enjoy Tuscany. I have been no less than 3 times, and my parents have been as well. The owner (Mai) is the most wonderful, most hospitable person you could hope to find. She has directed me on many great adventures to towns all over the region, from Pienza, to the seaside and many more. The best is coming "home" to the delicious dinners she prepares nightly. Another treat is taking one of her cooking classes. Who knew how to make fresh pasta noodles before?!
Kate V

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We, (two canadien and me, german) found this beautyfull place in the lonely planet, tip from tripadvisor. Our plan was, to stay for one night and than move on to new pastures green. However, the wonderfull rooms, the amazing view on to volterra and the warm and friendly hospitality, the good breakfast and the georgeous dinner convinced us to stay three nights. Thank you very much for everything. I am dreaming to come back soon!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed for just one night in late Oct. 2013. Chose it based on a good write-up in Lonely Planet (was surprised when I found the picture in the LP review was the same room we got) and for its convenience to the hilltop towns we wanted to stay. Wish it could've been longer than a night. We were there for olive oil production season, which was a plus. Bought a couple of fresh tins to take home. Marinella was a gracious host and gave us the history of the place and nice advice. It's unbelievably close to Volterra, a hilltop time definitely worth the visit. One minor bummer was we had a little miscommunication about dinner at the farm, so when we got there we found the weren't doing dinner that evening. No huge deal, as we made the 2-minute drive up the rest of the mountain to Volterra for a lovely dinner. And the price is quite fair for the cleanliness and beauty of the place. Made a nice base for our next day's journey to San Gimignano, a must-see spot in the area. (Steve, Oct, 2013)

Room Tip: We only had a choice between 2 rooms (Marinella divvies up the spaces into 'apartments' and 'rooms') but as mentioned in my review, we ended up getting the room shown in the Lonely Planet review of the place. I think all the rooms/apts. would be quite satisfactory, but you may want one of the units that opens up onto the shared back porch that has an unbelievably beautiful view of the surrounding Tuscan countryside.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is a nice place with breathtaking views of Tuscany and nice places to sit outside. The rooms are basic but the outside location is lovely and the people working here are friendly, cheerful and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Where do I begin? I will start with our host, Marinella. She is absolutely wonderful. She and her staff and the kindest and most caring people I've met in all of my visits to Italy.

And the agriturismo is stunning. The view from the back yard is one of the finest views in all of Tuscany. It's jaw-dropping.

The rooms are very comfortable as well. We had 5 family members travelling together. We stayed in apartments 1 and 3, both ground floor. I have also stayed in apartment 2 on a previous visit in 2009.

Be sure to eat dinner with Marinella every night you are there. The food is out-of-this-world! And if you have the opportunity, sign up for a cooking class with her! Included with the class is a Podere San Lorenzo apron and a copy of Marinella's cookbook. My favorite dish - spaghetti carbonara! She really knows how to cook it better than anyone!

If you are into wine tasting, Marinella has some friends on the other side of Volterra that will treat you well and will be happy to package and deliver any wine you decide to buy.

As you can see, nearly every review is 5-star. Anyone who rates this place low is the one with a problem, not the agriturismo. You will not find a better and more hospitable place!

Room Tip: Want a helpful tip? Go with apartment #1. It comes with a private terraces with amazing sweeping views of the Tuscan countryside. Be sure to buy a few bottles of Marinella's olive oil, which is produced from the olives on her farm. Also, you will not regret joining in for dinner with Marinella. The dining area is a 12th century Franciscan chapel! And if you have the time and desire, sign up for the cooking class! Try to stay for at least 3-4 nights. You are within easy driving distance from Volterra, Pisa, Siena, Monteriggioni, and San Gimignano.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family