See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 13, 2014

Volterra is a beautiful medieval town in Tuscany, & is definitely one of my favourite towns in Italy. It is not far from San Gimignano, but evidently lacks the tourism draw of that (also beautiful) town. This B&B is located very close to the city walls, just a couple of hundred metres from an Etruscan gateway into the town. The B&B is family run, with Antonella as the front person; her dad, Carmine, is your genial host for breakfast. Everything is done well, & with a smile. A great place to stay, in a fascinating small city.

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard H
Reviewed November 5, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located, just outside the walls of this beautiful Tuscan town. The rooms are spacious, nicely furnished, and clean. It only takes a few minutes to walk into the wonderful old city, though it's uphill. The hosts are lovely people and eager to help you with logistics or just to chat at breakfast. You do need to be aware of the traffic as you leave the hotel and head into town. The cars can race by and it helps if you're either patient or quick on your feet. I would definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Marion S
Reviewed September 1, 2014

We stayed in a three-person room. The room was beautifully decorated, which made me feel comfortable instantly. Also good size, lovely view and very friendly owners. Wi-fi worked without a problem and the room was clean. Downsides were that the third person was on a fold-out-chair-bed instead of an actual bed, so not as comfortable. Also I dearly missed insect-screens on the windows, I was stung about twenty times in three nights, and this was despite using mosquitorepellant. Also would have appreciated a safebox in the room.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2014

We stayed here 2 nights,the first night (14th August)was with just my wife and I,the second night with the rest of my family.
I must admit I was a bit surprised by the lack of Customer Care when we arrived.The reception desk was supposed to be open at 3:00pm but no one turned up until 10 past.Then the elderly lady(the mother of the daughter?)took our details pointed to the room(41) and left us to find the room and work out how things worked.She just left us outside and went back to her friends.We thought we was in for a dodgy time but the other family members improved their performance as the day went on and were a lot happier.The next day(15th) we wanted to buy a cake for my eldest daughters birthday which was Saturday the 16th August.
We mentioned to the owners that we wanted to buy a cake and at breakfast they had some excellent cakes amongst the super buffet breakfast on offer.We asked them if they could provide a lemon flavoured cake and bless them they had one ready for us the morning we checked out,for a small cost.Well impressed after a shaky start.
The rooms are great and the car park will take all the guests cars,they will find a way!!
The hotel is what it is,a very good 3 star establishment,the owners are not the greatest experts in Hotel Customer Service,but they do try hard to please.If your Italian is not very good then you may struggle as their English is a bit lacking,but it all adds to the charm of the place.
It is certainly worth the rate charged and is in a good position,just be careful when you walk up the hill into town there is no path,keep in single file and use the crossing,don't worry the cars will stop!!!

Room tip: room 41 the views are great out of the back window
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Located about a 10 minute walk below the Volterra town walls, it is located in a 19th century Italian villa. Our room was nice enough for 3 people. The owner is welcoming though I had to rely on my memory of high-school Spanish to communicate with him in Italian (sic) - he does not speak any English.

My only complaint is that given the staffs' lack of English and the frequency of English speaking guests since they are being featured on English web-sites such as this one, they could resolve misunderstandings (which we had a few) with a simple one pager of basic facts about the hotel such as what time is breakfast.

Other than that, we enjoyed the stay.

Date of stay: June 2014