“Beautiful views, at a low price.”
Review of Albergo Nazionale

Albergo Nazionale
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Volterra
“Beautiful views, at a low price.”
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Overall a very well priced hotel with panoramic views, from the balcony, of the Tuscan hills. Staff were pleasant, the lady who checked us out was very helpful, although the man who checked us in didn't explain very much (wifi, breakfast, and taking of passports). The rooms were nice but a little dated, and the double bed was actually two singles pushed together which became quite irritating. However overall a good experience and we would definitely come back. We would also recommend 'Don Beta' restaurant which is just round the corner.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Went with my husband as part of a walking group and really loved the town,interesting,historic but lively. The Albergo Nazionale is perfectly placed very central and convenient for the restaurants,bars ,museums churches and the bus station. A short walk from the hotel entrance is a wonderful viewing area and I would recommend going out at sunset.

Our room was fine and it was clean with new towels every day. The woman on reception is charming and friendly.

With a few changes this could be a delightful hotel. I would suggest that there is a bowl of fresh fruit on the breakfast buffet and that the coffee is hot. Likewise the chips for supper.

Thank you for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: One at the back would ensure absolute peace and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The hotel is in a brilliant position to explore beautiful Volterra....... however, having spent three nights in the Nazionale, we dont expect to return there again. Had an amazing view of the valley from the balcony which was so spectacular but very noisy as it overlooks a bar. The room was so hot - no air conditioning and in temperatures of plus 30 degrees no fan in the room - unbearable! The bathroom is tiny. Staff not very friendly. Breakfast only one choice of cereal and left over cake from previous days. So much could be done to improve this hotel.
Volterra - FANTASTIC!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Casagrande12
Bournemouth
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is in a great position in the centre of Volterra.

The hotel is historic and very grand, even if it could maybe be upgraded slightly. It is very comfortable but was extremely hot when we stayed. A fan on the ceiling would be a welcome addition to the rooms.

We will come back again though because of location.

Please note there is no parking with this hotel, some booking sites say it does. There is a public car park just near by, 11 euros for 24 hours.

Room Tip: The central location means rooms are a little noisy, but you cannot have everything.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights as part of a group walking holiday. The location is fantastic. Near where coaches/buses have to stop, and right in the centre of things. Good for exploring, then taking back shopping, having a quick break and then back out again. There are things to see and do all day and evening in Volterra.
The lady on reception in the mornings was really helpful and friendly.
The room was clean and tidy. It was on the fourth floor, so I had a view over the nearby rooftops. Bathroom was small but functional with plenty of room for toiletries. I slept well and found the room quiet (it overlooked a small walkway at the back of the hotel).
However, the food really lets is down. Breakfast is ok, but if I went again, I'd pay for room only and eat breakfast in local bars/cafes. Dinner is a real disappointment. As this was a group holiday, there was a set menu for the group. One day we had pasta we were assured was spinach and ricotta ravioli. The filling was brown and nothing like the spinach and ricotta ravioli we did have a couple of days later. The rest of the group concluded it was mushrooms, which I cannot eat, and which the hotel had been advised of prior to travelling. So I left it. Another evening, I didn't eat dinner, and didn't feel I'd missed out. I didn't finish a single course in 5 days. People with special dietary requirements really struggled to find something to eat, even though advance notice had been given. It seemed to be a surprise each evening when one guest refused the pasta because of a previously advised wheat intolerance. They were also offered tinned fruit salad on quite a few occasions as they were unable to eat cake.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a chance of a good view, or a room at the front (probably noisi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Berwyn Heights
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in May 2012. We paid a little more for the view, which was well worth it as it gave the full effect of the town and the valley below. Parking was easy, if you were willing to pay. Hotel staff were available (if inattentive) and fine (high maintenance guests should probably go upscale for better service). The bathrooms were small but serviceable. Generally, the place was worn and you can see the remnants of a nicer hotel (it certainly could stand to upgrade the bedding). There was a little noise, and the low price (I think that we paid euro 78 cash) likely attracted some younger, louder guests. The key point here, however, is location. The hotel is perfectly situated to explore one of the best Tuscan hilltowns. The town is made for exploring dawn, day, and night -- and walking out of the front door puts you right there. It was difficult to get too far from the hotel in case we wanted to run to the restroom (always a challenge in Italy) or grab or unload something. We skipped breakfast at the hotel for a little cafe around the corner, ate a lunch of a couple slices of pizza perched on a bench in the piazza by town hall a couple blocks away. Every time that I walked out the hotel door, I felt right in the middle of things, which I what I wanted. I am sure that several places down the mountain were nicer, but we got what we wanted out of Albergo Nazionale for a single night at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucharest
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel Nazionale is very conveniently located in an old palace, at the entrance of the city walls of Volterra, two steps away from the bus terminal and the Piazza dei Priori.
I was pleasantly surprised by the amiability of the staff: I wrote them to confirm my reservation and asked for a room with balcony (I am a smoker) and for an early check-in, and I got a positive answer on both in only a couple of hours.
I had room 310, at the 3rd floor (with elevator), the only floor were rooms had balconies. The view was magnificent; I could see from my balcony both the Palazzo dei Priori and the entire valley (Volterra is on top of a hill). The room was a spacious double that I had in single occupancy for 1 night, October 17/18, for 50 eur. Personnel was always nice, breakfast was standard continental.
I think the hotel was very nice, I recommend it to fellow travellers and I will go back for sure if visiting Volterra again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Giulio G, Proprietario at Albergo Nazionale, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank You so much for Your positive comment. My staff and me hope to welcome you again soon.