“Tired from New Years Eve?”
Review of Osteria dei Poeti

Osteria dei Poeti
Ranked #8 of 89 Restaurants in Volterra
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tired from New Years Eve?”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Maybe the night before, New Years Eve, made them tired, but the service was not good or attentive or friendly at all. And the food, uninspired, did not make up for it. Dessert looked wonderful but I was so frustrated I gave up on it. (Which is quite the statement, because I love chocolate.)

• Visited January 2013

Florence, Italy
“New Year's Day find”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We escaped from Firenze and our noisy piazza to lovely Volterra for New Year's Eve. But New Year's day we were stranded without a bus or a train home. So we wandered and discovered this traditional trattoria. We were the first ones in and had to wait while they collected themselves but the walls were covered with old photos and souveniers so we were entertained. The waitress who took our order for truly traditional dishes had the face of a greek goddess. As we were half way through our meal other diners, older, local, obviously regulars began to arrive. The conversation was rather an inclusive general interaction. We ate lovely food and drank nice wine and enjoyed being part of a traditional holiday long lingering lunch. Don't be in a hurry, talk to the wait staff and enjoy the ambiance. We are going back again.

• Visited January 2012
sarasota, florida
“Pretty setting, bad food”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Pretty setting and the presentation of the food would rival any magazine cover--just don't eat it ! Why couldn't it have tasted as great as it looked? Salads looked so fresh and colorful, but were worse than the most ordinary salads of any greasy spoon diner. Entrees were absolutely inedible ! I would have been very embarassed to have served the bread they put on the table-you could have used it to hammer a nail into any sort of wall, including brick. Service was very slow and almost surly. Fled to a gelato shop afterwards to keep from being hungry.......

• Visited October 2012
Marianna
“A great placefor dinner in Volterra”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had dinner here on my second night in Volterra. I t was great! I ordered an antipasti of cold meats and brochette; when it came, I was glad I hadn't ordered anything else at that point. It was a meal in itself. The salami and prosciutto were fresh, not dry like I have seen in so many other places. There was brochette with a pete that was superb. The plate was so good, I had to try one of the entrees. I had the Rabbit with sauce, unfortunately I cannot report the Italian name of the dish, but it was so good; I am glad I tried it. All in all an excellent choice for dinner.

• Visited September 2012
Stuttgart, Germany
“great restaurant with kids”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We were tired of walking around in the rain with small children and the restaurant did not open for another hour--we asked if we could just sit in the dining room, use the wifi, and have a drink while we waited for dinner and they were so accommodating. Turns out the food was delicious. Highly recommend the grilled steak and roasted potatoes. The house wine was fine.

Visited September 2012