“Wonderful dinner”
Review of La Vecchia Lira

La Vecchia Lira
Ranked #8 of 94 Restaurants in Volterra
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2020

This was recommended to us by a friend, and we were not disappointed. Great service. The food was delicious and well prepared. We would definitely go here again on another visit.

Date of visit: June 2020
2  Thank mikecY5403UX

Reviewed December 11, 2019 via mobile

I will preface this by saying I have been here twice. Once in the summer of 2014 and another in the summer of 2016. I am planning to visit Volterra again coming up and came across this restaurant I remembered so fondly!

Both times I have been to this place we had a bit of an earlier dinner by Italian standards so it was very easy to get a table. As the night went on the place be some very packed. So I recommend to plan ahead or get there a bit earlier during tourist season!

I remember the service to be very good. Our waiter recommended us wine and different dishes, all of which were outstanding. The most memorable dish was a rectangular pasta filled with pecorino in a browned butter and sage sauce. It was impeccable and I still dream about it to this day! I have tried to recreate it and have come close with the sauce but it’s still not quite the same. Everything we had was fresh, local, and extremely good.

I would highly recommend this place for a bite to eat in Volterra!

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank alkatperry
Reviewed October 19, 2019 via mobile

We ate dinner here on the recommendation of our B&B and really enjoyed it. The staff was friendly and translated several menu items for us, as well as recommended a great local red wine. Service was excellent. One of the favorites we ate was the wild boar with homemade pasta. We made a reservation, as this restaurant gets filled quickly. During the day it is a self-serve style eatery. We were told this place is a favorite of local Italians and we know why. Highly recommended for a nice dinner spot in Volterra.

Date of visit: September 2019
3  Thank Basinman
Reviewed October 16, 2019 via mobile

We ate here two nights in a row. The food was excellent - very tasty and well presented. We had an excellent fish dish with prawns, mussels, squid and clams, a delicious stew with wild boar and two tasty pasta dishes. The desserts were great, too. The staff were very welcoming.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed September 28, 2019 via mobile

We were doing our walking tour of Volterra and only wanted to stop quickly (by Italian definition) for lunch but wanted a good qualify local place. This place was perfect. It was cafeteria style, in that you ordered what you wanted and then sat down and ate. It clearly was a popular local eateries as there were not a ton of tourists. I ordered an appetizer of their seasonal vegetables with the handmade ravioli for my main meal—it was delicious. My husband has the beef special which was tasty but not over sauced or salted. I had their cappuccino for desert and left very satisfied. In addition, the entire lunch was under 20 Euro for both of us!

Date of visit: September 2019