“First night in Volterra”
Review of Don Beta

Don Beta
Ranked #29 of 92 Restaurants in Volterra
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The meal in general was OK, but not great. I did like the tripe soup, it was excellent. I also had a pasta with Pheasant sauce for my first course and Jagged wild boar for my second; neither of these were bad, I have just had better.

1  Thank Steve N N

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Delicious food, good value and service, great wine, lots to choose from, I had the Boar in Chianti sauce.

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We ate there both yesterday Nd today - both very good meal.

first experience got off to a bad start - we were a large group but called ahead for a table. No problem except that the previous occupants of the table lingered, and we waited - and waited. The food was very good, the service was excellent, and the proprietor offered some complimentary extras to make up for the inconvenience,

The mushroom risotto is especially nice. And for something exotic, try one of the wild boar (chingali) dishes. The risotto is fabulous, and while the boar is a bit bony and gristly, it's something you won't find at home.

1  Thank Monophoto-1
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We walked out! That should sum it up but I'll explain why. We arrived having asked our hotel to make a reservation for 7pm only to find (at five to seven) that all the staff were eating themselves at the back and nobody wanted to come to greet us!!! Eventually after a couple minutes standing (with our seven month baby!) a woman came to advise us that they were busy eating. I explained that we had a reservation for seven and gave our name and said we were happy to wait if she showed us which table to sit at. She said she had no idea as there were lots of reservations she said we would just have to wait so we stood a bit longer until I decided to just sit at a table. Then it was a case of her storming out to us to point to a different table and slamming down two menus on the table. No 'this is our specials today' or even 'do you want a drink of water' etc! Shocking. There were child seats available but did not even ask if we wanted one. We were that disgusted that after waiting another five minutes with no show of service at all - again even to see if we needed drinks - we said to each other that we were not prepared to stay. Why sit and order and spend money on food and on an establishment given how rude the staff already were towards us? The place had great reviews on here and always seems to be busy so I guess they could afford to lose our business just a shame we had such a poor experience. I don't understand what we did wrong if they don't want bookings at seven o clock why take them and it wasn't as though we were really early in arriving.

3  Thank GigglingGirl
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have been served quickly and by the boss himself !!
The age range of our table was from 7 to 83 years old and we all took different dishes.All were very testy and people enjoyed them as real Italian.
When came the bill we realized that it costed us only 25 euros each including :