Me and my husband stayed at Cala Caterina for three nights on their last week end open (so early in September!).
Overall we would not go back, as it's not our kind of hotel - we prefer more upscale, secluded, contemporary concepts and we like good food - but it has certainly some good points.
- The grounds. This part of Sardinia has really beautiful beaches, I mean: Caribean style. So the frist hotels arriving here I assume in the 80's got the best areas, including Cala Caterina. The hotel is directly on the beach, and this is the main reason why we have chosen it. The beach is nice even if you can find more breathtaking and wild areas going north towards Costa Rei. But if you are in the mood for total laziness this is perfect.
The garden is very well designed and mantained.
- Some of the staff members. They're professional and make you feel 'at home'. But not all have the same level and remember this is not a five stars hotel, so don't assume there's top service.
- The room size (not the style and amenities).
- Hotel architecure and details. Quite old fashioned, a bit tired here and there. The rooms don't have direct seaview and most of them opens to public grounds and areas, so not so much privacy. The room has really old furniture, but the Superior type is quite big with huge bathroom (didn't see a standard).
- Food. The lowest point. Really bad experience: low quality in all what we had, from breakfast to lunch to the depressing dinner. It's really like the old hotels in the 80's when you stayed there every night and got a fixed menu (no à la carte..). The second night we escaped to 'Da Barbara', 10km away and I'm afraid it's the only good alternative in the area.
- Service and hotel concept. Very strange strict rules and no flexibility: breakfast closes at 10am, lunch is only available at the bar with very limited choice, no 24h room service, dinner only until 9:30pm (we had a late check-in at 10pm and we only got a poor cold dish in our room as the restaurant closes at 9:30pm!). Had more 'sorry, no' than 'yes', and we were not pretending a 5 stars treatment. But as I said some staff members are very professional and sometimes compensate the overall old style approach.
- No real value for money. A bit too expensive for what we got.
MY SUGGESTION: if you are accustomed to the latest generation of hotels (smart, chic, refined, good service and good value) and are gourmet-sensitive this is not your place. But if all what you care about is a easy access to the beach in a idillic place, go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LOCATION The hotel is situated in one of the most delightful corners of Sardinia's South East coast, a few minutes from the holiday village of Villasimius (5 km) and close to its well equipped tourist marina (1 km). Surrounded by Mediterranean greenery and facing a crystal blue sea, the hotel offers its guests all the charm and magic of the island. Its secluded position makes the hotel an oasis of peace and tranquillity. Distance from Cagliari: 56 km. Distance from Olbia: 270 km. BEACH A pleasant walk (100 m) through the lovely garden with shady pine trees and well kept lawns, leads to the delightful Cala Caterina beach - a small sandy bay edged by smooth granite rocks. The hotel provides free sun-beds and umbrellas at the beach, as well as on the adjacent lawn. Beach towels are also complimentary. THE HOTEL AND ITS FACILITIES Built in a traditional Mediterranean style with long shady colonnades, the hotel blends in perfectly with the surrounding natural environment. It boasts a wide lobby, an elegant restaurant, a bar with a charming terrace overlooking the swimming pool and the surrounding garden, which provides ample space for taking the sun or lying in the shade. Services: reception open 24 hours a day, porter service, lift, unattended car park, during some evenings piano bar entertainment. There is an extra charge for mountain bikes, scooters and cars hire and for taxi service to Villasimius, where shops, restaurants and various services are available. ACCOMMODATION Situated on either the ground (patio) or first floor (balcony), the 48 rooms are all tastefully furnished in elegant pastel shades, with painted wooden furniture and marble topped tables. The rooms all have private facilities with bath or shower, hair-dryer and are equipped with satellite TV, air-conditioning, direct dial telephone, minibar and safe. There are 5 room types: - Classic (2/3 beds, about 25/30 sqm.): Double room with additional 3rd bed if required. - Comfort (2/3 beds, about 25/30 sqm.): Double room with additional 3rd bed if required, total renovated bathroom. - Prestige (2/3 beds, about 25/30 sqm.): Double room with additional 3rd bed if required, sea side. - Junior Suite (4 beds, about 40 sqm.): Double room with sofa bed, sea side, ground floor, totally renovated; - Sea View Suite (4/5 bedso, about 65 sqm.): Double room, living room and sofa bed and single bed, first floor with balcony, 2 bathrooms, private steam room. RESTAURANT The hotel restaurant offers both local and international cuisine with a wide selection of wines to match. Half board basis includes buffet style breakfast and waiter service dinner (drinks not included). Lunch is on request and with an extra cost: guests may enjoy a light lunch or a snack at the bar. Guests booked on half board enjoy a Gourmet Menu which consists of four courses each with two or three different 'taster' dishes and a seasonal fruits and vegetables buffet. SPA Protected with full privacy, laying out under the gazebo, the wellness treatments, massages, aromatic baths and the steam room will give you a complete relaxation, for body and soul. SPORTING ACTIVITIES There are plenty of sporting activities available nearby, in Porto Giunco (1 km), including water sports (windsurfing, waterskiing, canoeing, sailing) and boat rental. Only 3 km away: tennis, golf, diving and horse-riding. EXCURSIONS At the hotel reception it is possible to book nature and archaeological excursions by jeep and boat excursions with refreshments on board to the Islands of Serpentara and Cavoli, both protected marine reserves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Cala Caterina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cala Caterina Hotel
- Cala Caterina Villasimius
- Hotel Cala Caterina Villasimius, Sardinia