The hotel is small and attracts families with young children as well as singles and wrinklies like us; but few teenagers. They are mainly Italian, Swiss German or Austrian with a few Francophones. The hotel is well run with a manager, possibly the owner, always moving quietly around: no fuss.
The hotel is in a small wooded valley about 120 metres from the sea; some of the first floor rooms have a glimpse of the sea but none has a real sea view.Our room was one of the smaller ones, on the ground floor, looking to the garden. There was a covered patio in front stepping straight into the garden. Because the patio was covered, the room never needed the air conditioning. The furnishings were painted pine, made to look antique. The bed very comfortable and hopusekeeping first class. My only criticism of the room was that the shower cabinet was small. If you dropped the soap, picking it up was tricky; perhaps it is my age!
Breakfast buffet was very good with fresh fruit very much to our taste. If you want eggs, get there early. By 9.30 the scrambled eggs were dire.
We don't bother with lunch but there seems to be a barbecue with fish, squid and, some days, langouste. It is taken in the bar area and looked good.
Dinner is included in the price and served as a tasting menue with three antipasti, two pasti/risotti two main courses and three deserts. If you prefer you can substitute a salad or fruit for one of the courses. We did not. If there is something you don't like, they will double up the portion to compensate. We never deviated, the selection was very good.
Wines were all Sardinian and were excellent with a good price range. The reds were better.
We usually managed three swims per day. Some days there was a stiff onshore wind which made the swimming harsh. No problem, the hotel is on a peninsular: a twent minute walk and you are sheltered!
A tip. If you want to be able to shop, you needa car or taxi. The nearest, very limited, shops are at the Porto Turistico; not a nice walk and all is closed in the afternoon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LOCATION The hotel is situated in one of the most delightful corners of Sardinia's South East coast, a few minutes from the holiday village of Villasimius (5 km) and close to its well equipped tourist marina (1 km). Surrounded by Mediterranean greenery and facing a crystal blue sea, the hotel offers its guests all the charm and magic of the island. Its secluded position makes the hotel an oasis of peace and tranquillity. Distance from Cagliari: 56 km. Distance from Olbia: 270 km. BEACH A pleasant walk (100 m) through the lovely garden with shady pine trees and well kept lawns, leads to the delightful Cala Caterina beach - a small sandy bay edged by smooth granite rocks. The hotel provides free sun-beds and umbrellas at the beach, as well as on the adjacent lawn. Beach towels are also complimentary. THE HOTEL AND ITS FACILITIES Built in a traditional Mediterranean style with long shady colonnades, the hotel blends in perfectly with the surrounding natural environment. It boasts a wide lobby, an elegant restaurant, a bar with a charming terrace overlooking the swimming pool and the surrounding garden, which provides ample space for taking the sun or lying in the shade. Services: reception open 24 hours a day, porter service, lift, unattended car park, during some evenings piano bar entertainment. There is an extra charge for mountain bikes, scooters and cars hire and for taxi service to Villasimius, where shops, restaurants and various services are available. ACCOMMODATION Situated on either the ground (patio) or first floor (balcony), the 48 rooms are all tastefully furnished in elegant pastel shades, with painted wooden furniture and marble topped tables. The rooms all have private facilities with bath or shower, hair-dryer and are equipped with satellite TV, air-conditioning, direct dial telephone, minibar and safe. There are 5 room types: - Classic (2/3 beds, about 25/30 sqm.): Double room with additional 3rd bed if required. - Comfort (2/3 beds, about 25/30 sqm.): Double room with additional 3rd bed if required, total renovated bathroom. - Prestige (2/3 beds, about 25/30 sqm.): Double room with additional 3rd bed if required, sea side. - Junior Suite (4 beds, about 40 sqm.): Double room with sofa bed, sea side, ground floor, totally renovated; - Sea View Suite (4/5 bedso, about 65 sqm.): Double room, living room and sofa bed and single bed, first floor with balcony, 2 bathrooms, private steam room. RESTAURANT The hotel restaurant offers both local and international cuisine with a wide selection of wines to match. Half board basis includes buffet style breakfast and waiter service dinner (drinks not included). Lunch is on request and with an extra cost: guests may enjoy a light lunch or a snack at the bar. Guests booked on half board enjoy a Gourmet Menu which consists of four courses each with two or three different 'taster' dishes and a seasonal fruits and vegetables buffet. SPA Protected with full privacy, laying out under the gazebo, the wellness treatments, massages, aromatic baths and the steam room will give you a complete relaxation, for body and soul. SPORTING ACTIVITIES There are plenty of sporting activities available nearby, in Porto Giunco (1 km), including water sports (windsurfing, waterskiing, canoeing, sailing) and boat rental. Only 3 km away: tennis, golf, diving and horse-riding. EXCURSIONS At the hotel reception it is possible to book nature and archaeological excursions by jeep and boat excursions with refreshments on board to the Islands of Serpentara and Cavoli, both protected marine reserves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Cala Caterina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cala Caterina Hotel
- Cala Caterina Villasimius
- Hotel Cala Caterina Villasimius, Sardinia