“a real treat”

Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Viareggio
Cork, Ireland
“a real treat”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

we had 1 night in a standard room and ,.2 in a junior suite as they were booked out on our first night.this was a return visit for us as it would rank as one of our most loved hotels. the extra cost of a suite is well worth it. the roof top pool is a big plus but we did find the cost of the bar to be too much even for a great hotel..

Room Tip: suites well worth the cost
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

A disappointing establishment after a week of 5 star hotels across Italy. Our room was OK but well short of the luxury suggested in promotional photos.

While the outdoor temperature was below 20 degress C, the room temperature was north of 26 degrees and the aircon failed to do more than knock a couple of degrees off that. Woke the next morning to a yet again hot room and airconditioning not working at all. Everyone in our group complained of the same.

No turn-down service on first evening. Normally that wouldn't concern me (I am capable of pulling back a bedspread!) but also meant that wet towels that needed replacing weren't.

Room safe failed from a flat battery (OK, those sorts of things happen) but the half hour wait to get someone to come to the room to get our things out of the safe was unacceptable. So breakfast was reduced to a 5 minute gulping down of a pastry and coffee lest we missed our tour pick up.

Hotel hosts a reportedly excellent restaurant (Michelin star). Enquired about booking at reception on first evening to be told that they didn't know whether it would be open next evening and we were told we would have to ask again in morning. Did so next day to be told the restaurant is only open for dinner Friday and Saturday night.

Dinner in-house was a buffet of only average quality. Braised beef and chicken dishes so overcooked that the meat was left uneaten on my plate. My wife similarly left half her meal uneaten.

Brought a wonderful bottle of Tuscany Chianti back to the room to discover that we only had a single wine glass in the room.

A wonderful building in a great location let down by sloppy, 3 star service.

• Stayed October 2012
Daiana F, Direttore at Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

referring to your review,
I'm m really sorry to read that your stay did not realize your expectations.
About the rooms, I'd like to explain to you, having 106 rooms available, on five different floors with 5 differents styles, we can not load 106 pictures on the brochure or website.

Regarding the air conditioning, I remember that when the group came in the hotel, unfortunately, we had a problem on the system that controls the air coditioning in the hotel. The day after, the technicians solved the problem.

The hotel provides the turn-down service: if the chambermaid finds the room busy, she left a flyer at the door, to let you know she was at your disposal. She came two times but the light on system was always "red" (guest inside the room).

I'm sorry that you had to wait to long just to have the possibility to take off your stuff from the safe, but when a group is checking out, the time to have a service, unfortunately, becomes longer, just because all staff is busy with the group.

Being part of a group, the dinner is "as per contract " at the Regina Restaurant on the ground floor;
in any case the restaurant Piccolo Principe (one star Michelin Reastaurant), on the top floor, during the low season opens only on the weekend.

Always at your disposal, I remain.
Best regards.
Daiana Ferretti - Hotel Manager
Florence, Italy
Reviewed October 21, 2012

And we actually went back! It was a gorgeously warm October weekend. The plan was to ride our bikes, walk on the almost empty beach etc... But we ended up spending almost the entire time on the rooftop, sunbathing, reading and super relaxing while the kids enjoyed the pool (shallow enough not to continuously watch them). Viareggio in the off season is probably at its best if you don't like the crowds! Prices are also nicer, as you may imagine. We just changed our baby sitter at home and we did not want to introduce a new one to the kids, so we missed the Piccolo Principe, their Michelin rated restaurant, also this time... We opted for a nice buffet dinner at the Regina, good food and selection, perfect if you have kids with you. Bed was so comfortable I fell asleep reading the pillow menu!
A big thanks to the nice and smiling staff!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Took a taxi from pisa airport to Viareggio (90 Euro's)
We arrived at the hotel around 9pm on a saturday and were welcomed with a smile from the receptionist.

During check the receptionist went to give us a room on the 2nd floor & I pointed out pleasantly that I had requested a room on a higher floor. she did a quick check and as it was late I told her not to worry it was fine.

After a few more minutes she kindly told us we had been upgraded to a suite & handed us our room key to a suite (418) on the fourth floor!! :-D
The concierge behind her joined in grinning & said it was the best room in the hotel - I have to agree it was stunning!!!

From the parquet flooring, walk in lit closet, HUGE bathroom, Beautifully comfy bed, un-interupted views of the sea & promenade from 4 balconies.
The mini bar was extortionate (as most hotel mini bars are) but we tucked into the drinks regardless :-D

The concierge was extremely helpful, the restaurant was full & we were peckish after our journey so he called through to a beach club (a few minutes walk away) to book us a table.

Our stay coincided with a polo event that was being held on the beach opposite the hotel, we joined the locals on the sandbanks to watch for a while in the afternoon (we could have used the piemonte beach club but decided to go back to our room, chill with some vino rosso & watch from our selection of balconies :-)

Breakfast was just ok, nothing special & the breakfast room with its grand chandeliers lacks a little atmosphere - Saying this, the staff during breakfast were attentive and very friendly.. oh and the fresh orange juice was lush!

We used the spa during our stay, robes & slippers were in the room & you pop them on, leave your room & use the private spa lift - Simple! (The spa is chargable at £25 euro's each)

We took a stroll to the train station (took about 20 mins) as we wanted to visit Lucca (medieval walled city) - The train was only 3 euro's each (bargain!!!) If you do have the time I'd say that Lucca is definitely worth a visit, although people were milling around the whole place had a sense of calm...

Ooooh & finally we sat & had a few drinks at the bar before heading up to our room one night, The bartender/mixologist was really lovely! My cocktail Vespa martini was delicious & the complimentary plate filled with dainty sweets for me to sample was a fab touch!

If you are looking for minimalistic this is not the hotel for you but if you're after classy with character go for it!
The Grand principe would definitely be my choice of hotel in Viareggio.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 418 - Corner Suite with 4 half balconies
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heidipops
Lucca
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed at the Pricipe Piemonte with my family this past July. It was a wonderful respite from the heat of summer. The bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was large, and well kept. Only problem was the shower head which kept moving for some reason. Must have been loose. Also, one thing I did not like was that I got woken up in the morning by a staff member who knocked on my door but did not wait for my reply, but flung open the door. That part was not so great. But the comfort of the room made up for it.

The pool area was amazing. It was so hot down at the beach, I didn't want to go there, but at the roof top with the breeze, it was wonderful. The views you get are fantastic. Only improvement I would suggest would be to do a more rounded food service pool side. I would have liked more choices than a caprese salad or a ham sandwich for my snacking. We arrived after lunch hours, when the restaurant was closed, and just wanted a nice bite to eat to hold us over until dinner, but all they could offer at the bar was caprese and ham sandwich. Somewhat disappointing for a hotel of that level. Oh, one more improvement, my father and I took a swim, but weirdly, the water was cold. I thought it was just me, but my father, who is always hot and regularly swims in the chilly Atlantic said the same thing. He didn't even stay in the water. I would recommend they keep it heated .

I really loved the moisturizers, shampoos, and body soap they left in the bathroom for you. They smelled great. I'm still using them.

The breakfast in the morning was really, really good. They had a great variety, kept refilling it, and the space was large enough for breakfast to feel quiet even though there were a lot of people. Really well done.

We ate at the pool side Michelin starred restaurant one night. Have to say, the starters were good, but I got as a main a dish that had a shellfish reduction drizzled on it and it was so bitter, I couldn't eat it. Too bad, as I'm sure the other dishes looked good. I was hoping someone from the staff would ask me why I left all my food, but no one did. So my suggestion to the restaurant would be to better train their staff. If someone leaves food, you should definitely ask why.

All in all, I liked my stay at the Principe and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gina-lucca
w
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel is nice, and in a great location, but it is a little too old. After staying in many hotels over a 14 day vacation, this was the one with the most physical issues. The door to the bathroom locked and would not re-open we had to call maintenance to come up and fix it, and then oil it until it worked properly. The shower head had very little water pressure and the entire tub shook as the pipes rattled. The bedroom was quaint and spacious, and the view from the roof was great. The view from our room was lacking, we were guaranteed water view, and it technically was, it faced buildings that faced the water and if you craned your neck all the way to the right you could see the sea. The shutters were also an issue as they got stuck open, and it took 3 people to close the door to the terrace. This hotel just needs tlc, there is no excuse for why these items are not working. Also if you are promised water view, then you shouldnt have to seach for water out your window.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floors, so if you are given "water view" the buildings across...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Spent a romantic weekend in the hotel with my wife in July 2011. Hotel location is great, on the beach stretch of Viareggio. Fantastic view from our balcony over the beach to the Mediterranean sea. We witnessed lovely sunsets from there. Lots of shops and restaurants on the beach right in front of the hotel. Used the hotel bikes for a lovely ride along the beach promenade. Hotel rooftop pool is very nice. Michelin star restaurant at rooftop is fine, but nothing extraordinary for a Michelin restaurant. What impressed us most was the friendly service of the staff; whenever we asked for assistance we received it, and in a warm manner. Would go there again!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Viareggio
Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection
#12 of 53 in Viareggio
UNA Hotel Versilia
UNA Hotel Versilia
#1 of 52 in Lido Di Camaiore

Been to Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte? Share your experiences!