“Good hotel and location”

Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Viareggio
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Royal in May for a week, a Thomson A La Carte holiday.
On arrival we were upgraded to a large front room with balcony overlooking the ocean. The room was very grand and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small and just adequate.
The staff were all wonderful and we enjoyed our stay. The food was good and for us, plenty of choice for breakfast.
The hotel is conveniently located and the area is a good base for visiting Pisa, Florence and Lucca.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel
We would like to thank you for your comments
Hope to welcome you soon at the Grand
Best Wishes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We only stayed one night in Viareggio and this hotel was fine for our purpose, but is one of the few hotels that we used during our holiday that I would choose not to stay in again whilst on a touring holiday. Check in, always important but especially so when you are touring and moving from place to place, was friendly and efficient. However, as is the custom in Italy, we had to hand over our passports and these were not offered back until we checked out the next morning. When I commented on this, during check out the next day, I was told it was, apparently, my own fault as I did not go back to reception and ask for them. Car parking was also available, at an additional cost of 11 euros overnight, and bearing in mind that this is in the hotel's own grounds, this does seem to be a little over the top. The alternative of risking roadside parking and having to carry cases to and from the car leaves guests with little option. The hotel does have a "Grand" aura, with the rooms and common areas reminiscent of a byegone age and is well worth a stay to appreciate this. The restaurant also reflected this grand feeling in appearance, but the food was not outstanding, and when my wife requested strawberries for dessert, clearly shown on the menu, she was informed that they were not available, and an attempt was made to persuade her to order a chocolate dessert, which the waiter assured her was a speciality of the chef and came highly recommended. She declined, but I, stupidly, followed the advice, and was presented, after a long wait, with an extremely disappointing, somewhat dry, piece of chocolate sponge cake. The feeling of being manipulated to eat what the waiters wanted to get rid of was confirmed the next morning, when bowls of strawberries were to be seen on the breakfast buffet table. Service was rather slow, but as this hotel is used by package tour operators, and there was a large group in the restaurant which did seem to receive a lot of attention, I guess this was a contributory factor. As an independent traveller I expect to be treated as well as every other guest. I would suggest that this hotel is best visited having been booked through a tour operator, rather than for the more adventurous of us that like to be independent.

Room Tip: Book on a bed and breakfast basis, and find somewhere else to eat other meals.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ted_and_Celia
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused, particularly for the Rstaurant experience, The personalised service and the food quality is in fact what most of our regular guests love about our hotel, and this has won us many fans and regular guests over the years that The Royal has opened its doors as a hotel.
Stay only one night cannot give the right impression, and beleave me all gest are treat on the same way.
Hope to welcome you again

Reviewed June 27, 2013

we have just come back from a week at the grand hotel royal we went to celebrate my 50th birthday. As soon as we entered the hotel i knew it was going to be wonderful!! I cant understand people moaning about having a sea view room we would have loved that noise or not.!!!!! This was the only thing i was disappointed about as although the room was lovely when we first went in and looked out of the window i was very disappointed as we looked out on to a roof and air con unit!!!! Cant fault anything else the food was fab the hotel was lovely ive never stayed anywhere like it. We got the local buses to lucca and pisa which were very cheap i might add.We went on an excursion to florence and that was a lovely place to visit. The only thing i was a bit disappointed about was that i wasnt given a birthday gesture like a bottle of bubbly or something as my fiance did email the hotel before we went to tell them about my 50th birthday but all they did was to email back a list of things he could get for me but with a price.The promemade was lovely to walk along and there are many shops and ice cream parlours which we did indulge in the best one we felt was gelato prati and very nice people who ran the place too we often went there for a drink or two!! As for the person who wrote about the reviews being fake doesnt know what they are talking about the whole place was fab and we cant wait to return hopefully with a sea view that would top it off..

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback which certainly helps us to monitor and improve our service. I was pleased to read how much you enjoy staying at our hotel and that the service provided by the team .I understand when you talk about the views from the room in fact Classic room are positioned on the rear of the Hotel without wiew, and this is the difference between reserve a sea view room.
Please accept our apologize for disappointing you during your stay, your birthday deserve a gesture from our side and despite not having obligation we could think about it; very sorry!!!We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
P.s
I did not comment the rewiewer think we make fake rewiew, your personal rewiew is the right answer

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here as a party of four couples. The facade of the hotel was an interesting well maintained Edwardian masterpiece. The reception was quick, efficient, courteous and friendly. Our rooms were initially on first and third floors sea facing. One room, however, was very small and when the wardrobe was open it was impossible to pass or get into bed. The management were very helpful and changed it for a side facing very large room as soon as a vacancy occurred.We stayed on half board and found the food excellent with plenty of choice. There was an antipasto buffet of mainly vegetable and fish dishes, followed by a first course of a choice of melon and prosciutto, or soup or rice or pasta dishes. The main course usually contained a good choice of fish, meat and vegetarian options. There were then four or five sweets. The wine list was varied and offered good value for money. Breakfasts were buffet style and again offered excellent choice. The hotel is very family friendly. There is a large outdoor pool, overseen by a very friendly lifeguard. It is unseated and was on the cool side as the weather the previous weeks had been cool, though it was lovely during our stay. I would happily recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: A side facing room may be a better option than a sea facing room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments and I am very pleased you had a good time during your stay with us. I hope you will visit again.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

In crisis hit Italy its service industry has to be aware it needs to 'up its game' in order to stay ahead of its rivals and attract tourists at the right price and to the hotels that are improving. To sit on your laurels and think the business will just keep rolling in is arrogant and will see the business ether go down hill or fold. This hotel is resting on its laurels and the management needs to wake up. As a USA visitor we were horrified to see the poor state of the rooms. Our room had draws that fell apart, the floor was dirty and needed a good clean and a bathroom that had signs of previous guests. The hotel clearly needs refurbishing and needs double glazing throughout. The staff are clearly losing their flair and enthusiasm and compared with my last visit the hotel reception staff need to realize the customer is very important and there experience of the stay at any hotel is formulated at the first point of contact i.e. reception/check in. In general this hotel needs to wake up before its too late.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank LondonHolidaybuff
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Gest,
thank you for your feed back, apologize for the inconvenient caused.
All Best Western hotels are independently run, offering the highest standards and immediate attention to any problem. Sometimes clients, however, do not recognise the assistance and care given to such issue.
Italy passed a very important crisis like you said and your critics to our country is certainly allowed from everybody.
Hope you will return to Italy once again

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a tough one. This hotel has many things going for it but it also falls down in some categories. It's big and it's grand - the outside is impressive as it takes up an entire block facing the sea. The inside was impressive with a small reception desk, comfortable couches in the reception area, a room off on the right where you can relax or play cards/games on the tables, a smallish bar with seating inside and outside, a sizeable breakfast room and a large dining room. The grounds outside are well kept, with a sizable garden, swimming pool with about 30 sun loungers and a pool bar that serves drinks and light meals for lunches. It's lovely but sometimes lovely just doesn't cut it.
We reserved a room overlooking the garden but were "upgraded" to a partial sea view. Lovely and appreciated. However we didnt realize that this came with a "price". The hotel is on a main, fast road and cars speed down it at all hours of the night. The windows and shutters did not screen out the noise and I spent 7 nights listening to traffic. To be fair, it probably wasn't too much better in the back as it sits on a road that has a bit less traffic, but traffic nontheless. Our room was in a pretty bad position. We were in room 119, positioned right off the stairway. The stairway is open and grand and the noise from the reception area travelled right up. The floors are not carpeted and you could hear every sound made in the hall, including the children running up and down the halls at midnight and their parents reprimanding them for doing so. We knew when the people across from us had gone in or out as the door made a heavy slam that echoed down the hall. The worse possibly is that the walls were so thin that when the people next door flushed their toliet or ran their water in the night, it sounded like it was in our room! Also the bathroom was nice but the shower stall (no tub) had seen better days and was the smallest stall I had ever seen. The hair dryer was one of those ancient tube things that looks like it's from the 1970's. Grand it ain't. Another annoyance is that the restaurant is not a "proper" restaurant. It serves dinner from a limited menu but the price is not even on the menu! I think that's because the hotel seems to take in a number of people from tour companys (Thomson for one) and I believe that most people are on half board so their dinner would be included in the cost of their holiday. Just so you know, it cost us 30 euros each for dinner. You paid for the entire thing, not by dish. I had an omelet for my main - a bit over priced I'd say.
I have to say that the breakfast was good and varied and the bar staff was personable and gave great service. But, being not a very heavy sleeper, I had 7 nights of horrible sleep and was so tired in the daytime that it was a struggle to get up the energy to go out and enjoy the day. We paid 174 euros per night through Venere.com. That's a lot to pay for not a single night of good sleep on a holiday! I wonder if this place is resting on it's history of having been a place that entertained stars "back in the day". Apparently one story is that the Sultan of Oman rented out the entire hotel for his stay (don't remember when!). If I were ever to return to Viareggio I wouldn't stay here again. But perhaps a different room will give you a better outcome. If you decide to stay here, avoid the rooms right off the stairway if you can. And bring earplugs.

2  Thank DakotaTyler
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to know you had mixed experience. The problem with the traffic noisy , is true room in front sometime are noisy but a lot of guest prefere this type of room because the view of the sea is fantastic. . We would be ready to change your room with one on the rear of the hotel on calm and without traffic but you didn't ask for change.
Just to clirify in our restaurant where most of customer are satisfied we have daily menu at 25 Pound Sterling ( 30 €) wich included salade starter Buffet and choice of 3 courses and service, wich is a very good deal, but you can also ask for just one plate no obligation.
Please accept my sincere apologies for all inconvenient caused. I sincerely hope that you will give us a pleasure to welcome you again to Grand and Royal Hotel in not too distant future and an opportunity to change your impression.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Spent a week here. Upgraded to room with balcony at no extra cost. Overall hotel is lovely with most things right, downsides were-: bathroom although has character, the shower over the bath has no wall bracket meaning you have to hold it yourself, which for a 4* hotel is just not good enough, and the shower screen needs replacing.

However, the public rooms were all lovely, including the breakfast dining room which offered a very good choice. Didn't have dinner so cannot comment.

The huge pool is 25 meters and is fabulous, although not heated (it should be). The Grand Hotel Royal is a lovely hotel with plenty of classic grandeur. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on fourth floor with pleasant enough views, although noisy due to traffic, glad we chose a b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Margaret,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
I am glad you had a positive impression of the Grand and Royal Service.
Please accept our apologize for inconvenient caused in the bathroom, and thank you to tell us about, we will immediatly do something to fix the problem.
I am also glad that you receive upgrade without extra cost for a room with sea view and balcony, this is a very rare exception you was very lucky....!!!
Hope to welcome you again soon