“STOP!!!!”

Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Viareggio
birmingham
“STOP!!!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

When visiting Viareggio there is only one place to stay.... Yes at the Hotel Astor.
I have just returned from a four day trip of what can only describe has a wonderful holiday. I have spent a lot of time in Viareggio and stayed in a few of its hotels. I have stayed at the Astor a couple of years ago and again last week.

I booked a single partial sea view but was up graded to a double sea view which was nice. I found the reception staff reasonably pleasant and helpful in particular Abele. Some of the restaurant staff and house keeping where a bit grumpy however in it own lovely way that Italy for you. Has I have mentioned Abele stood out he was lovely, funny and very kind and welcoming.

In my opinion the Hotel is spotless you could eat your dinner off the floor. The rooms are well served and comfortable. Breakfast Ok just ok nothing great but with a good selection.
The only downside of this hotel is its VERY expensive added extra’s so look out for that.
I didn’t even open the mini bar in case I got charged for the privilege. Also one had to pay to use the internet 7 euros for three hours( but you can log in and out) All in all if you can apply self control and eat out if not on a meal plan then you will enjoy your stay at the Hotel Astor Viareggio….. I did!!!!! Once again Abele was Great and well worth a visit if only to meet him.

Room Tip: What ever room you choose remember the walls as in all of Italy are paper thin....
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jenniferford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saignon, France
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights with our dog in early Oct. Very comfortable room with sea view. Great value for the money, excellent buffet breakfast, gym, indoor pool, spa services. Staff were helpful and friendly. Location couldn't be better, right across from beach, park, shopping. Will return and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Provencals
edinburgh
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed just one night and when we booked were told we would be in the annex. When we arrived we were given a large room with a sea view and " two bathrooms". All for E140. Recession. After eating out we thought we might have a drink in the American Bar. However, at E15 for a gin and tonic and E12 for a small whisky we decided not to bother. Breakfast was very average.
Viareggio, one of Italy`s most popular resorts was, incidentally, very quiet with at least half of the beach ubrellas unoccupied.

E25 per day parking but almost worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank alan070
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The Hotel Astor is an exceptional 4 star hotel. Ideally located on the beach front of Viareggio. On arrival the staff could not be more helpful promtly getting my cases to my room and explaining everything we needed to know.
The room was excellent however slightly dissapointed not to get a sea view.
The most impressive thing for me however was the breakfast and evening meals. The staff were fantastic from the head waiter, Moreno, to all of the others. Entertaining and very attentive. As for the food it is definitely some of the best in Viareggio!

Room Tip: I would reccomend that you request a sea view at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ctorriani
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We are very disappointed about this hotel. The price is far to expensive , the staff is unfriendly and the rooms are old and not very clean. We cannot understand whow this hotel is quoted as design hotel. The beds are not great. and for the price of 275 euro a night we had a room with NO view, no elevator and a lot of noise of people who fill the garbage next doors......

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MMI1966
Yorkshire
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I was looking forward to my stay at the Astor having seen some stunning pictures on its website. When I arrived, however, I found it to be rather a bleak place to be. There was one member of staff who was polite and friendly but the rest of them seemed surly and disinterested. My accommodation was a horrible little box room with stains on the carpet. One of the towels in the bathroom was dirty and from my window I looked out over another hotel.

The pool and mini-gym are really, really grotty and very tiny. I was struggling to find any redeeming features within the hotel until I went up to the roof terrace which, although small, has good views over the sea and mountains. A further point in the Astor's favour is the breakfast buffet. There is a large selection, including masses of fresh fruit, and the dining room has sea views.

If you can get a cheap deal then the Astor would be reasonable - if only for the breakfast. Considering the usual prices they charge, however, I think it is to be avoided.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Badgerbird
VT
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We stayed at the Astoria this October, and we found the location convenient - walked from the train station and were reasonable close to the shore. The staff was helpful, and the room was very nice for 80 euros with breakfast and private bath. The breakfast was at a bar just down the street and only a basic continental breakfast. I think the room had a heated marble floor, which was quite nice. All in all, a pleasant base from which we traveled to Pisa and Lucca by train.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple