“Classy” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel President
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Viareggio
“Classy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

A classy hotel with some of the best food I’ve ever eaten in many trips to Italy (and anywhere else in the world come to think about it!). A well run hotel with polite and helpful staff. Location is a little bit deceptive from the brochure, it’s not on the front but there are sea view rooms. But don’t let that worry you; it’s a first class hotel. Would go back tomorrow!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StevePu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The room was large and comfortable...the staff was excellent...the restaurant was very nice, a large breakfast and very good dinners...the location was excellent...the beach facilities, under agreement, were veery good...I would stay again and do recommend.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Steve M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and unfortunately they had double booked our room for one night. The hotel manager was very apologetic, booked us into a hotel round the corner for one night, and arranged transport for the short journey. They even offered to pick us up the next day, but the 200 metre walk I felt was something I could handle myself!

The next day when we returned they had upgraded our room, gave us free access to one of the local beaches (you have to pay for beach access in Viareggio) for the rest of the week and a complimentary meal in their restaurant.

A small mistake at the start, but they more than made up for it, the staff were a delight. I could not recommend the hotel more highly.

1 Thank darrenk80
Letchworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We found the hotel to be well situated on the beachfront and yet close to central viareggio and all it offers - which to be fair is not a lot, but this hotel offers very comfortable and cool rooms - essential for our 4 night stay in July - and is suprizingly quiet being next to the main front with good quality double glazing and shutters. There was a building site next door with large crane but no work was going on while we were there. Ambiance of the hotel was smart and reasonably sophisticated and the staff were all helpful and amiable - they even have an English newspaper daily in the bar. Food was very good, although we only had breakfast, but there was a good choice of cooked and continental foods, although as usual bacon was nothing like in England. Would certainly stay here again and would recommend this to friends.

2 Thank StuartCW
prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

If you are searching for the nice and friendly hotel in Viareggio and would like to spend your time on the beach, this is a right place.
Hotel President has a great location, very friendly staff and lots of pleasant surprises for you. I didn´t like our room at the beginning so the staff let me choose from 3 rooms. They were very helpful. I chose the one with the balcony (but no carpet). All the basic rooms were decorated in colonial style and were almost the same.
What I absolutely loved was a breakfast – very nice hot/cold buffet with champagne, that´s what you need:-)! Restaurant was excellent (perfect waiters) and we had the possibility to visit it twice for a complimentary dinner. The only thing I didn´t like in the hotel was the room service. They were very precise, but very noisy and working from 7 o´clock in the morning!
I was little bit disappointed from the beach club Balena – you have to pay 25 euro/day for an umbrella and two sun chairs (sun chairs! Sunbed is extra) and the club is not very clean. During our stay it was full of children and still very noisy. The see was full of trash so we preferred the pool (full of children).
Be prepared to pay a lot of extra money for your stay – for parking, dinners, beach club. It´s not very cheap vacation, but the hotel is worth the money.

• 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank annabal
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the president for 2 weeks from 12th July booking with Thomson. This was a superior experience of a package holiday. The hotel was clean, friendly and the food was excellent. The evening meal would have cost 50 to 60 euros from the a la carte menu but we booked on a half board basis which was exceptional value. The beach club Irene is clean and casual and the staff all very helpful.
We are homr noe and finding it difficult to adjust after such a memorable holiday.

Room Tip: Room 302 is good
4 Thank janbobristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel President for a week from 13th July and had a great experience.

Unfortunately when we arrived after an early morning flight from Gatwick, our room was not ready as the previous guest had not yet checked out. The lady at reception could not apologise enough and almost appeared embarrassed to have to inform us of this but we were totally fine with it and as breakfast was still available, we ate and then headed out to explore for an hour or so. When we got back, not only were we able to check in to our room but the luggage we had left in storage had been taken to our room and we arrived to a bottle of champagne to celebrate our anniversary.

This delay to checking in served a good purpose in a way as for the first time; we ate the fantastic breakfast that the hotel has to offer. Whatever you can imagine for breakfast, they will probably serve – eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, croissants, fruit, prosciutto, salami, cheese, risotto (“RISOTTO FOR BREAKFAST?!” I hear you say), smoked salmon – need I go on? I will be astounded if I come across a review of this hotel that says that breakfast isn’t good. Asking me about lunch or dinner is another matter as we never ate dinner here; there are so many restaurants around Viareggio that it seemed pointless to stay in the hotel and not have a wander around town for a good meal. If I was to recommend anywhere, I would suggest that you at least try once any, or all, of these restaurants – ‘La Chiesina’ on Via Leonardo Da Vinci which serves a number of typical Italian dishes, ‘Sa Playa’ on Viale Regina Margherita which is cheap, cheerful and very busy with locals on the weekend which attributes to what a good restaurant it is and another restaurant whose name fails me but it is also located on Viale Regina Margherita and is next door to a book store/library. All of these restaurants do your typical Italian dishes and if you are travelling with anyone who you think may not like a traditional dish, you’re pretty much covered if they like pizza as most restaurants will serve pizza with various toppings.

The hotel does display leaflets for an excursion company who offer trips to towns and cities around Tuscany but to be honest, if you don’t mind travelling around by yourself then I would recommend that you just take them up on the day trip to San Gimignano and Siena as these places are a little more difficult to get to using public transport. Pisa and Lucca can be reached by bus and a round trip cost us ten euros each and a return train ticket direct to Florence is around 20 euros and you can jump on a City Sightseeing open top bus when you get there which is another twenty euros for a day ticket on all tour bus routes around the city. The trip to San Gimignano/Siena was very good and I have no doubt that the other day trips will be just as comfortable and informative but as we were a little budget conscious, we decided to explore certain places for ourselves. If you are in the same situation, just grab yourself a guidebook to Tuscany and an Italian phrasebook (even though most people speak English anyway) and you will be fine.

Viareggio did seem to be quite busy on the weekend but I guess it’s only like how busy Devon and Cornwall will be during summer. People are pretty friendly and we never had any hassle during our stay in Tuscany altogether let alone just in Viareggio. If you use the beach clubs that Hotel President offers vouchers for then you get deckchairs and an umbrella for free and sunbeds at an extra cost. The beach is very well looked after and clean so we usually mixed up our week by one day doing some exploring and the next day just chilling out at the beach. A good recipe for a holiday if I do say so myself. Although I originally thought that the hotel had a swimming pool, it is located further down the promenade at one of the beach clubs. It isn’t a problem but it’s not the same as just rolling out of bed, stepping out and chilling by the pool like I have done at other hotels in the past. By all means, still chill by the pool but you have to walk down the road first!

I would definitely return to Hotel President and recommend it to anyone looking at Viareggio for a holiday destination. The staff are pleasant and helpful, the rooms are comfortable and spacious and the bar serves a great selection of drinks. Thanks to the barman’s excellent cocktail making skills, I have now developed a taste for Aperol Spritz and Mojitos. Viareggio has a good beach, a vast selection of cafes, gelaterias and restaurants and is close enough to tourist attractions like Pisa and Florence to enable you to have a few days out and around Tuscany. It is a beautiful place full of culture and history so be sure to take a camera, some sunscreen and an appetite because you’ll need all three for your trip to Italy.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room with a sea view. Always a good feeling opening the curtains to a view out...
2 Thank HellsBells89