“Average food ”

Osteria Piazza Grande
Ranked #16 of 456 Restaurants in Viareggio
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Average food ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

I had carbonara and my partner had the fried sea food platter. Was average. Nothing to write home about. Wine selection was ok. Not worth searching for this place. But to be expected considering the location..

Chichester
“Rude staff - dislike tourists - stay away!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Found this place following the positive comments on here. The staff have very little english and we had little italian .. so after saying hello in italian we indicated we would like a table outside. The waiter walked off to speak to another member of staff and returned saying 'full' we indicated it would be fine to sit inside instead. Again he said 'full'. He was abrupt and stoney faced. There were clearly plenty of tables available inside, however we said thankyou in Italian and left. The other diners looked on as we left - very uncomfortable. Clearly a local place that they wish to keep for the locals. Stay away if you are a tourist!!!!

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Tracy M
Diletta B, Proprietario at Osteria Piazza Grande, responded to this review, September 13, 2014
Hello, i am sorry for the late answer, but i would like to make light on this misunderstanding.
It's true that our english is really poor and is the source of the problem. We are closed at lunch time so that day there was only our staff but the reataurant was closed to the public. We were full for dinner time our poor english did not help and we were unable to let you under stand. We welcome everyone, turists or local peoples, if you Will come back in Italy and in Viareggio we Will be really happy to welcome you.
Osteria Piazza Grande
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Perfect place for a friendly night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

In my recent trip back to my home town I had the chance to organise a quick reunion dinner with my high school companions. I know they usually like good food, good wine and atmosphere so the choice was difficult in very expensive Viareggio. As my first choice was closed, I've asked my brother and he recommended Piazza Grande Osteria. Never been there before but I know my brother's taste in matter of food and didn't doubt the choice.

What a treat! Fantastic food from top to bottom, all seafood based, all absolutely delicious. The selection of appetisers included stuffed muscles, marinated salmon, tasty anchovies, bianchetti croquettes and more. We had a selection of two "primo" pasta dishes, one of which was freshly made tagliatelle with a small squid sauce, to die for, followed by a lightly fried mixed fish selection as "secondo". The local "house white" was absolutely perfect (we had a few bottles) with all that and I'm sorry I didn't get the maker. I concluded with local fig "scarpaccia" pudding, served with light custard cream which I chose among a number of other selections all accompanied by moscato wine.

We had an absolutely delightful evening and the price of all that was €37 each, which nowadays is a fantastic deal, especially in Viareggio. We literally closed down the restaurant! Thank you staff for your patience! All very friendly and we will surely be back, I will anyway!

• Visited September 2013
Camaiore, Italy
“Excellent quality for that price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

They propose both fish and meat at a very good level of quality. I strongly recommend to concentrate on their first dishes which are excellent. Wine selection is not so wide : that's the only critic I can move. Good service and friendly atmosphere. Free parking just in front of the restaurant and this is really a luck in a town like Viareggio

Visited May 2012
Dennis, Massachusetts
“lucky to it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

we were directed to this small out of the way restaurant by an old fisherman having a nice day off the pier...it doesn't open until 8pm...so maybe not for everyone....we were warmly greeted by the wait staff, unfortunately English was not spoken very well...however they suggested a seafood antipasti, only 14 euros....it was a grand display of seafood varieties, all prepared flavorful and quite different, it satisfied our group of four...house wine was 8euros ans entrees were 10to12 euros...we each had a seafood/pasta dish all ample and tasty...desserts were rich and delicious...especially the dense chocolate torte accompanied by gelato...probably our best meal selections during our three week stay in italy....take time to find the little place....

• Visited October 2012