Repubblica di Oz
$140
  • Breakfast included
$113
B&B La Collina(Varese)
All reviewslovely ownersthemed roomsone nightboutique hotelcroissantsdanterosellaantiquescatdecorationaccommodation
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We were in Varses for just one night and chose this hotel initially because it was one of the cheapest. But it turned out to be unforgettable! It is situated in a beautiful square, right in the centre. A bit difficult to find even with Sat Nav.
There is no reception but the owner was waiting for us. He spoke perfect English and was very friendly, even carrying my 20 kilo suitcase up the stairs! Our rooms were dedicated to GB - we had union flags on the walls as well as other memorabilia. Our little lounge had an antique desk, a chaise longue and statuettes of Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes.
There was even our own patio.
The shower room was modern with a very powerful shower and there was endless hot water.
Everywhere was spotless. There was free parking and free wifi.
If you are in this area you must try this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2014

From the initial contact to enquire about booking to checking out on the last day,Repubblica di Oz and its lovely owners contributed to a perfect long weekend. If the reality was even half as good as the photos on the website promised then it was going to be great - we were not disappointed. The rooms are quirky, spacious, well equipped and comfortable. The location is very central and easy to reach from the railway station. The owners are a delight and couldn't do enough to help with any questions. It seems almost unfair to mention the breakfast arrangements which were the only slight disappointment - service in CioccolatItaliani was slow, unhelpful and on one occasion non-existent. Dante was very apologetic and is working hard to solve this small detail. We would love to come back and were promised "Lola and the Cat" again - but half the reason I want to return is to explore and enjoy another room. Thank you for making it a special weekend for us in Varese.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014

It is a rare situation when you can find a B&B this fantastic. The owners are antique dealers and have furnished each of the unique rooms in outstanding antique furnishings, art and artifacts. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and areas like the bathrooms and the small kitchenette that we had in "the grand tour" room were completely modern and convenient. For breakfast, we were given a set of "poker chips" that were to be traded for a delicious meal at one of the trendy cafés across the street.
By the way, this B & B Is located in probably the best spot in all of Varese amidst shops, cafés, and very fine restaurants. However, there isn't a lot of noise except for a church bell in the morning from the historic church nearby.
We dealt with Rossella, the owner, a charming, gracious and elegant hostess. We would not hesitate to book here again. I sent photos of the place to my friends and family and I refer to it as "the villa" because that's the closest description I can think of. Staying here is like staying at a historic villa in the Lombardy region.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Rossella B, Proprietario at Repubblica di Oz, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Katherine
reading your comment fill in my heart.
What can I say? Thanks for your beautiful words.
We do create Repubblica di Oz with dedication and efforts, I am sorry for not drinking a last coffee with you before your leaving.

We will always pleased to welcome you again at our place, whenever you want.
Maybe experience another room.

Our kindest regards from Varese

Hello to Lexis

Rossella

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The hotel is slightly hidden away (there is no reception per say) but it is centrally located in Varese with fancy cafes/shops just across the road. Breakfast is served in one of these cafe's across the road. The hotel itself has been converted from a residential apartment and each room is individually decorated/themed using continental antiques as the owner is an antique dealer himself.

Rossella (co-owner of the hotel) is extremely helpful and welcoming and speaks very good English. She dealt with the bookings in advance via e-mail promptly. The rooms were very clean and huge with wifi throughout. As mentioned before, the rooms are individually decorated with antiques and I really enjoyed my stay there.

Considering the price/location and service of this hotel, I don't think you will get any better in Varese and I would highly recommend anyone to stay there. It's definitely an eye-opener of a hotel!

Room Tip: Take your own soap/shampoo
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been recently in Varese and Milan for business purposes and I have discovered through tripadvisor an unexpected and unforgettable guest house I will daily remember. The name is “la repubblica di oz” and is located in a very nice area of Varese downtown plenty of restaurants, cozy bars and stores.
My arrival was warmly welcomed by a smiling couple (the owners) that immediately gave to me all necessary information with regards to the city in general and what to do/see/eat in that area.
I slept in the room Sherlock. The room is unique with a meticulous attention to details and furniture.
A highly recommended place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business