“Best Experience - must not be missed!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of In Italy Tours

In Italy Tours
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best Experience - must not be missed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

My friend and I booked a once in a lifetime girl trip to Italy in September. She found "In Italy Tours" that offers cooking classes in Susan Vanallen's book "100 Places in Italy Every Woman Should Go" and booked it right away. Tania, the owner, worked closely with us via email to design the menu we were most interested in learning. Once we arrived in Tropea, Tania checked in with us early in the week and treated us like her long lost sisters! She booked a beautiful sailing trip for us and informed us throughout the week of other activities going on locally she thought might interest us. She assisted us with a phone problem we were having and did everything she could to enhance our entire trip (not just the cooking class).

The evening of the cooking class was magical. Tania picked us up at our hotel and drove us to Pepe's family farm. There we found Pepe and his entire family in a beautifully modern, Italian rustic kitchen. We spent the next 6 hours making a dozen traditional southern Italian seafood dishes as we requested and a traditional Calabrian pasta. The kitchen was well stocked with fresh food from the family farm and they offered appetizers and some delicious wine Pepe made. We cooked and snacked and drank and laughed and toured the farm with Tania, Pepe, his wife, children, and sister-in-law before sitting down to eat. Our meal was served at a long outdoor table under a pergola with linens and rustic finery that you can only imagine from the movies. Tania's easy manner made everyone feel right at home and she made sure all the guest at the dinner were comfortable. Sitting together, enjoying the dinner under the candlelight felt familiar and easy. We ended the dinner with a lovely dessert and some amazing liqueurs made by Pepe's wife. Yum! We were each encouraged to take some of the food home, there was a lot!

Pepe is a professional chef and a great teacher. He is generous with his knowledge and experience, as well as his family and farm. Tania is generous in spirit. She is warm, funny, and kind. She runs a professional business and delivers on every promise, and more. I would highly recommend this experience to anyone wishing to have an authentic Calabrian experience, make and eat great food or just have a kick of a time. Thanks Tania for making this one of the most memorable experiences of our trip. Too fun!

3 Thank SonomaTrav_ler

Alaska
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Cooking Class - Less than promised”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

The cooking staff were wonderful and the food was quite good. Promised recipes never provided after a three month wait. Tania is a nice person but I don't want to spend dinner talking about how to help her build her business. She does a disservice to the lovely family that provide the cooking classes poor follow-up.

Visited October 2012
tan613, Owner at In Italy Tours, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Hello Gail
i'm sorry you feel this way. I had sent an email to my contacts who requested recipes but somehow it didn't get to you.
i have sent the recipes to you so i hope you get them.
Just for the record this really had nothing to do with the actual class you paid for on that evening so I hope it won't reflect on the hard work involved in having you join us.
Again my apologies for this.

Kind regards and Happy Holidays.

Tania
Halifax, Nova Scotia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“amazing time, fabulous people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I booked a one day cooking class with In Italy Tours for September of this year. For our entire trip we were looking forward to and thinking it would be the highlight of our three wee stay in Italy, and would not be disappointed!

Tania was, to say the least, an amazing host...She was so compassionate about the region, and its cuisine! And without going into too much detail, Tania went above & beyond the roll of host for us! (Tania, we truly appreciate everything you did for us, and will never forget it!)

The cooking class started with private transportation for my wife and I. (A special thanks to Antonio & Antonio) They drove us the 15 minutes or so out of town to the countryside to the family farm where the evening was to be spent.

We arrived about a half an hour late (our fault, not Tania's), and were met with open arms by Pepe and his family! The night was filled with wonderful food delicious wines, and a lot of laughter. We had a lovely tour of the grounds, it being harvest time made it even more special! And everyone enjoyed meeting Pepe's animals!!!!

Pepe, Vera & family were to say the least amazing! The whole family joined in on the evening, and really made everyone feel at home. Pepe is an amazing chef, the Tuna steak was probably the best food experience I had in the three weeks!

He also makes it so comfortable to join in...And is quite funny guy, as he joked and tormented pretty much everyone (including his family) throughout the evening. I also would like to thank Vera and Pepe for what they did for my wife, as their kindness will never be forgotten. You are all a treasure to Calabria!!!

The only regret we have is that we didn't book a week long cooking class, as we would have loved to have stayed in Tropea longer. If you're looking for a truly intimate experience, and seeing the "real Italy" I would recommend In Italy Tours!

1 Thank Michael D
Toronto, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Excellent experience with In Italy Tours (cooking class, sailing excursion)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I were in Tropea for seven days and went on the cooking class twice. One evening was focused on fish and the other on meat. Each night had an incredible amount of very tasty food and wine. Tania picked us up where we were staying at around 5:30 p.m.. We were driven to a farm about 20 minutes outside of Tropea. Evening started with some wine (white, red and/or sparkling) and some cheese, salumi, bread, nduja, olives, etc. We watched (and assisted, if we desired) Pepe and his family prepare and cook many wonderful dishes, including pasta, risotto, fish, salads, grilled vegetables, meats, etc. Then a quick tour of the farm (peppers, fruit trees, olive trees, vineyards, pigs, horses, goats, and Pasqualino the donkey). We then sat down to a wonderful dinner at a long table outside with Pepe, his family, and the six other guests on the tour/class. Fantastic food and wine, and a lot of it. We were driven back to where we were staying around 11:30/midnight. 140€ per person, so not inexpensive, but a memorable evening and worth it in my opinion.

Tania also arranged for my husband and I to take a private boat cruise to Capo Vaticano. Francesco picked us up near our hotel and took us to his boat at the marina. We drove slowly out along the coast to Capo Vaticano. Wonderful views of the beautiful coastline. On the way back, we stopped for a short swim in the water. While we swam, Francesco cleaned some sardines on the back of the boat. Francesco made a good attempt to cook our lunch on his boat in a small cove, but the water was a little choppy to continue and so we continued to the marina where he cooked for us, and we ate, on his boat. Nice lunch that started with salumi, bread, cheese and olives, followed by pasta he made on a small stove on his boat with the sardines he cleaned that day. Pasta and wine were delicious and Francesco is informative and a great guy. He speaks mostly Italian. 110€ per person. Picked up around 10:00 a.m. And dropped back where we were staying around 3:30 p.m.. Was a great day. Take some sunscreen and a hat.

Tania was very helpful throughout. She even bought some train tickets for us that we had difficulty ordering online for a trip that we took one day on our own to visit some family. Tania is fun to be around and In Italy tours made our stay in Tropea that much better.

3 Thank LucyMarley
Halifax, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing time, fabulous people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a review that should have been written a month ago, but better late than never!
My wife and I booked a One Day Cooking Class with In Italy Tours in Tropea, for September of 2012. The town itself was spectacular, so picturesque!

Tania, was to say the least a treasure! She was so helpful to us, and went above and beyond what anyone could/or would have expected for us! (we will never forget your kindness!)

The class was held at a farm approx. 15 minutes from town, in the hills. Private transportation (special thanks to Antonio & Antonio) was arranged from our hotel directly to the farm, where we were welcomed with open arms by Tania, Chef Pepe and his family! Following our late arrival (our fault, not Tania's) we were on to the cooking class, with lots of wine & antipasto. There was a break for a tour around the grounds, and it being harvest time, everything was plentiful! Our meal plan that evening was seafood, and it would not disappoint! We ate our meal on a terrace that overlooked Pepe's vineyard & farm...The food was delicious!!! And the Tuna steak was probably the best cuisine I had eaten in our three weeks in Italy!

The only regret we have is that we wish we could have had the time to sign up for a week long course instead of one day!!! And although the tour was booked for the cooking, what made it special, and probably one of the best experiences we had in Italy were the people. Pepe, Vera and family were so welcoming and friendly!

You are all a treasure to Calabria! And trust me we will return!!!

1 Thank Superdoak