“Beautiful experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Torbole
Ferney-Voltaire, France
“Beautiful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

When we read the previous reviews we were scared we would find something we wouldn't like and this would ruin our holiday. As we discovered when we arrived, the hotel is completely renovated and there is a new person running the business (the real owner of the place). I'm sure the negative reviews we read were old because we found him a very nice and charming person, the rooms are new and the ambience welcoming. On top of all this prices and location are great which made the whole experience beautiful! :)) I'm sure I'll be back soon!

4 Thank Clairette25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

We had read bad reviews on this hotel just days before going and even considered cancelling the holiday. But how wrong were these reviews?
The hotel has been totally refurbished & under new management. The room was immaculate & stylish. The staff were really friendly & nothing was too much trouble. The food was varied but maybe a little basic. After our one weeks holiday we really did not want to leave and will certainly return.

4 Thank michaelgraham7390
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

I opted for a trip with a hotel allocated on arrival which as a solo traveller is quite daunting. However, when we arrived late, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was right on the lake. Not only that but the hotel had clearly been redecorated, was very modern, clean and comfortable, and I didn't have any problems with noise . I was lucky that I had a view of the Lake. The rooms were a reasonable size and the linen was clean.

I had a bit of trouble when I got stuck in the shower (!), but once I managed to free myself, the owner got it fixed for me. Any minor problems happily were resolved quickly.

The hotel is right on the Lake, and although it didn't have a pool, there are plenty of "beaches" on the Lake so that you can swim in it - although it is incredibly cold! There are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance, as well as a bus stop outside and also a ferry terminal a short walk away. Torbole is not very touristy (unlike Limone or Malcesine), which for me was perfect. Its a very relaxed little town, and I felt very safe wandering around on my own at night.

The staff were very friendly, and speak good English which is so helpful as my Italian leads a lot to be desired!

I have very high praise for the owner and his family, and I for one will definitely be going back & have already recommended Hotel Geier to friends/family.

10 Thank SparklesBournemouth
Newport South Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2009

Compare to the manager in this hotel Basil Fawlty was perfect the rooms were shabby the food you could have got in any greasey spoon in the contry and as for freindly staff only on the last day, tip time wasn't it, if you can possibly avoid this place I strongly urge you to, be warned, obviously thos people singing its praises are used to a far lower standard.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank baar64
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

Manager treats staff and guests like dirt. Hardly ever on reception but outside gossiping with his cronies. No welcome, no smile. Other guests have also experienced his rudeness personally and as witneeses. I was informed that this man has alcohol problems, if so he should not be in the hospitality business. He handed out keys while having a row with the tour rep. Had a go at me while I was taking in a small bottle of water to dinner - this was witnessed by the rep. We had to buy drinks at the bar and take them into dinner ourselves, no drinks service at table. The rep sent e-mails to the tour company Newmarket Holidays and we were informed later that the company will no longer use this hotel. Good.
This hotel is not a 3 star, as one reviewer has written it barely rates one star.The rooms are very basic, also no info material in room, however they were clean. We got a lake view purely by chance but the window was over a communial balcony and the door to this balcony was right next to our window so we could not leave the window open to get fresh air, for security reasons. One could climb in our window from this balcony.
Breakfast was very limited, not much choice. Dinners however were quite good - no real complaints. Location right next to the lake and town centre.

4 Thank woodyboy
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

Friendly staff, great food ( a mixture of Austrian and Italian), clean and functional rooms - where have these people been staying I wonder. We arrived late as our flight was delayed at Gatwick but the staff were on hand to welcome us, book us in and then we found that they had tables all laid up and food ready to be served. The surrounding views were amazing and why would anyone need rooms with a view, surely you only use the room to change, shower and sleep? I would definitely go there again and recommend friends to do the same.

1 Thank GatwickSixMember
Weston super Mare
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Geier in September 2009 for Three Nights as part of a "Seven Cities of Italy" tour with Newmarket Holidays. Not sure how it was awarded 3 stars as I think 2 Stars would have been more like it- Hotel room was clean but we were up in the attic rooms and as my husband is 6ft tall he kept banging his head. The owner/manager was a miserable man and the staff were not happy at all. Food was adequate but we were glad that it was only a three night stay. Very noisy at night but to be faif that was not the fault of the hotel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles