My partner and I (both 35) recently spent a week with Thompsons at this hotel. If you are looking for a great hotel with ambience, good food, lovely surroundings and a relaxed bedroom then STAY AWAY.
This hotel is a 2 star – it’s not had a refurb since 1970 – everything is rusting and there is NO green grass/a palm tree anywhere – only concrete (even by the pool). This is a small list of issues:
1. Bedroom – basic, basic, basic – no luxury whatsoever. A bed, TV, chair and a curtain. That’s it. Think Travelodge – find for one night but not longer. And a great view of a crumbling concrete building opposite (which should have been knocked down 20 years ago)
2. Pool – good size –however, surrounded by concrete and no trees, grass, shade
3. Beach – only has chairs, no sun loungers. You need to pay an additional 8 euros per person PER DAY to have a sun lounger on the beach
4. Food – breakfast – dreadful – terrible coffee (hard to do in Italy!), no fresh orange juice, no fresh fruit, no pastries, no choice
5. Dinner – basic buffet of salad and choice of 5 main courses all covered with the same tasting sauce
6. Entertainment – none – not even some background music after dinner outside for three of the evenings – totally dull, nothing to do, no atmosphere at all
7. No wifi - except for a charge
8. Area – awful – like an old British seaside resort desperately needing to be rejuvenated. You fill find lots of concrete parks, concrete paths and that’s it
For the £900 we each paid, it was terrible value for money – even £350 per person would be a lot.
Stay away unless you are using it as a base only – however, given the location it’s not a great place.
I have never written a review, but I didn’t want anyone else to have the same experience as we did – we are not snobby, just normal English people who wanted to have a nice holiday in a nice hotel as a treat.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Grand Hotel Continental reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Tirrenia
- Grand Hotel Continental Tirrenia, Italy - Pisa