“A nice mountain oasis”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“A nice mountain oasis”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My wife and I ended up in Sulmona by chance and stumbled across this very nice, friendly hotel.
It is tricky to reach without a car, as it is a good 5km outside the pretty town of Sulmona and is approached through an ugly industrial park.
However upon arrival there is a decent restaurant, rooms and a lovely pool with the abruzzo mountains provding a stunning backdrop.
The staff are very friendly and will do their best to help you

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bmcelduff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The staff couldn't be more helpful making me feel right at home. They provided excellent additional help on where to go and how to get there. Even the family who own the hotel came to chat with me and appreciated the distance I had travelled to get there and wanted to make sure I enjoyed my stay. There were some very nice personal touches and even an exchange of gifts. The Hotel and pool are a little oasis set in their own well kept garden - everything is cleaned and watered daily and there is a real family feel to the place like it matters to everyone there that you have a pleasurable stay. Food was always well cooked and presented and service always with a welcoming smile and genuine interaction. Wifi is free which was very useful for me to keep in touch with work and plan other part of my trip. I extended my stay by 3 days!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Kenneth Stewart A
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Walking into the hotel, you are greeted with the welcoming scent of lavendar and the lush green gardens. The staff graciously invites you into their hotel with open arms and makes you feel at home. There is beautiful artwork everywhere and a digital pictureframe at the door gives you a small taste of Italy right from your hotel. The artworks are beautiful conversation pieces and they only showcase the best in the rooms, with artwork from artists such as Salvador Dali. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with large windows that showcase the beauty of the grounds around the hotel. The mountains surrounding the hotel are a beatiful view to wake up to every morning right outside your window. The food is absolutely fantastic, the chef makes the best pasta I have eaten in all of Italy so far. I would be glad to stay here for the rest of my vacation and I hope that I am able to return one day to Sulmona's finest hotel, Hotel Santacroce.

Room Tip: The rooms for four have balconies
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rebeccakarlee
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I went on a school trip here and it was terrible! the air conditioning was broken, there were people smoking below our window so we couldn't open the window to cool down. The worst part of all though is the maids! ugh! a lot of people from my trip complained of finding their food and drinks that hadn't been opened, opened and eaten/drank! I got a bag of confetti for my mom and left it on my nightstand and when i got back it was open with 3 left! i was so so so mad! Its so disrespectful to go through peoples stuff and since i got here some stuff has "magicaly disapeared" i admit maybe i will find it when i pack up but i went through my whole hotel room and couldn't find them. half the phones dont work and nobody is at the desk majority of the time. Terrible service... DO NOT GO HERE!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hello917
SMPE, Responsabile reception at Hotel Santacroce Meeting, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear Madam/Sir,

We have read your comments and would like to clarify a few points with you. We are truly sorry that you were unsatisfied with our hotel.

Much to our surprise we can assure you that our staff members especially our “hotel maids” are very efficient, loyal, and honest people. They are like family and have been part of our staff for years. I can honestly say that nothing has ever been stolen nor mishandled by them when cleaning the rooms.

As for the air-conditioning it was not broken it can easily be regulated just by turning the correct knob, if there was a problem with the A/C are technician would have immediately intervened. I want my guests to always feel at home. Concerning the phone in your room we can assure you that it was working, if it wasn’t we again would have immediately intervened.

This is our policy we aim to satisfy our clients the best way we can. If you will have the opportunity in the future to come visit our area again we cordially invite you to stay with us, consequently, offering you our best services.

Kind regards
Phoenix
Reviewed July 17, 2011

If you have a special celebration you must consider this hotel. It has a most beautiful setting, in a most beautiful city full of some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They went above and beyond to put together a 25th Wedding Anniversay reception for us. The food is absolutely wonderful, some of the very best we have ever had in Italy. The rooms were spotless, the staff delightful and the cost is very reasonable. It would be a beautiful place for a wedding, where they prepared an 8 course meal of our anniversary celebration. We loved it! They went above and beyond. It is family owned and they treat you like family.

Room Tip: All the rooms have beautiful views of the mountain, but as for a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ktaddie
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Wow!! Where shall I begin? We are an American family from Philadelfia, Pennsylvania. My family and I have been on holidays in Abruzzo visiting our relatives. We were immensely content and satisified regarding our hotel choice. We highly recommend this hotel to all families, couples, friends of all ages that intend to relax , get to know and enjoy this lovely art city! The hotel is very modern, refined and provides various kinds of comforts such as free internet WI-FI. As soon as you reach the hotel there's a breathtaking view of the immense well kept garden with flowers everywhere and in the midst of this... there's an inviting swimming pool. What struck us the most was the warm welcoming on behalf of the staff members. They were very kind and helpful. The rooms were simply immaculate and spacious which was very important for us. The kitchen offers amazing original dishes. In my opinion a fine interpretation of the Abruzzo cuisine. Breakfast was abundant and served in a buffet style. We loved their homemade cakes and pies! We are definately coming back in Abruzzo next year because we were treated like family at this awesome hotel!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ocsunsets
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2011

The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. The reception staff were happy to offer suggestions and guidance on places to visit and how to get there. There is a wealth of leaflets on local places to visit in the reception area.
The hotel is exceptionally clean and comfortable. Our bedroom was huge with a comfy bed and had a spotlessly clean ensuite bathroom.
The hotels location is tucked away in an industrial area of the town however this means that the access to the main road routes are easy, The hotel has a beautiful garden with a wonderful swimming pool. We thoroughly enjoyed our evenings sitting by the pool having a drink in a very peaceful and beautiful surrounding.
The breakfasts are served via an extensive buffet with beautiful homemade cakes which went down a treat with our 15 year old son.
The evening meal is more formal with waitress service. The waitresses were all very friendly and the food was beautifully served and delicious.
We would thoroughly recommend this hotel for anybody wishing to tour in the Abruzzo region.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank silsoefamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sulmona
Hotel Santacroce Ovidius & Spa
Manhattan Village Hotel
Manhattan Village Hotel
#5 of 5 in Sulmona
B&B Il Marchese del Grillo

Been to Hotel Santacroce Meeting? Share your experiences!