“Lovely, friendly hotel!”

Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Stromboli
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Comfortable hotel, with a good quality / price ratio, excellent location just a few meters from the hydrofoil dock, and from the small boats that take you around the island. Friendly staff - we even met and talked for a while to the owner, you will get a fruit juice as welcome, and you will enjoy a very good breakfast with plenty of cakes and sweet stuff. Spacious, clean and reasonably comfortable rooms.
On the not so positive side, the free internet access has low band width / poor coverage in some areas, and it expires every about two hours (so a new code needs to be asked again and again to reception if you are an internet freak). Maintenance could be improved (safety box in our room did not work) and the rooms would benefit from some additional furniture (mainly, a working table and one or two additional chairs). There was an old fashioned CRT TV set in the room but we didn't even bother to turn it on (who wastes time watching TV while being in this lovely island)

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are lovely, though may be at bit noisy in the morning...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had booked this hotel through my cousin, a travel agent in Bagheria, Sicily, Italy. We took a hydrofoil from Milazzo to Stromboli and arrived at 3:45 pm. Walked no more than 100 yards to the hotel from the pier and checked in. The desk clerk advised us the tour guide who was going to lead us up the volcano was waiting for us, so we dropped luggage off in our room and ran to the appropriate office.

After the hike up and down came back to the hotel and enjoyed a shower. The facilities have been upgraded but are not luxurious by any means. They are clean, they are modern and they work. That's what I wanted and that's what I got.

The two young ladies working the desk were a dream. I asked for a superior room with terrace and got it.

Good, hearty breakfast is served and is included in the room rate. Again, the young ladies are very helpful with information on hydrofoil schedule, etc.

I will stay there again.

Thanks and enjoy it.

Michael

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MLaTona56
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Booked a superior room with sea view. It did have a sea view. Reception staff friendly. Room large & clean, everything worked, more hangars in the cupboard than I've seen in any hotel in the world. Clothes drying lines on the roof. Access after reception hours via back door. All the vendors and fishermen starting work at 6AM a little noisy & irritating. Location near the dock very convenient, Definitely worth what I paid, would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: splurge on a good room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We chose this hotel mainly for its location (despite some of the horrible review on TA), and its price (it was still cheaper - relative to location - than most other hotels on the island). Since we really just needed a place to sleep after our Stromboli hike, we weren't very picky. This hotel is nothing special - it looks like it hasn't been renovated since the 70s and there are creepy pictures of women in the hottub everywhere. There are signs that talking on the mobile phone inside the hotel is forbidden. I thought this was strange.
When we arrived, the staff was cordial and we were given a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice while we waited for our room - so this was nice. Our room was basic but ok. After reading some of the reviews we checked the bed for bedbugs right away and there were no signs of any infestation. We didn't have any bugs on our floor either, but I wouldn't have been surprised if there were some as this is a beach hotel, with a balcony, so bugs are inevitable.
Our balcony was a small concrete tube with 3M walls, so there was no view. But whatever- that is not what we came there for. The bathroom was clean and adequate. The nice thing about it was the size of the shower stall - it was very big, at least 2-3 people could fit in there, and the shower head was nice and big with good water pressure. This was very welcome after hiking the Stromboli for 5 hours! The bed was comfortable enough - it was either that or we were just so exhausted from the hike to notice.
The real dissapointment of this place for us was the breakfast. This was the most expensive place we stayed at in Sicily and we had far better breakfasts in other places for half what were paying. There was a selection of buns/croissants with some cold cuts, but all the fruit was from a can and the vegetables didn't look fresh. For a place that claims it is a 3 star establishment, I'd expect some fresh fruit. But ok - it was adequate for morning nourishment.
Overall, I'd give this hotel about 2 stars, it does the job of providing a bed, and it's conveniently located (2 min walk from the port), but don't expect anything fancy.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Bug81
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I feel totally ripped off and stupid to fell into such a tourist trap. The first room they put me in had a wall as a view. You could hear the sea when the drilling stopped. In fact the drilling went on all day. When I complained I was given a room on the first floor. This one had a glimpse of a view of the sea, and full view to the men who were drilling. And 2 bugs around the bed. I tried to ask for a refund, but of course, they said no way. They said that the hotel was full, but it was an obvious lie. Later I learned from other travelers, that the owner, who is from Napoli, not local, systematically lies. I was so scared of the bugs, I stayed the night in another hotel. But went back to check out the breakfast. For this much money it was a rip off too. Big amount of lousy quality food. This is the place for you to say if you have money to spare, like noise, retro style rooms and if you are into bug research...(I heard that they have some nicer rooms too, so you may tempt your luck, but if I was you, I would go to another one). This was the only horrible experience I had in my 2-week stay in Sicily.

When you arrive, you think that the location is good, but actually, the other hotels are much better located - nicer views, by the sea, nearer to the start point of the volcano hikes, and most importantly, not so noisy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Suitcaseowner
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Everything I paid for was provided: a room, breakfast, a shower. But of the seven hotels I stayed in during a two-week Italian trip, this was hands-down the poorest. Nasty attitude from most of the staff, including a lie looking me in the eye while knowing I knew it was a lie! I arrived at 7 p.m. and signed up for an 8 p.m. boat excursion to see the back side of the volcano, returning at 9:30. I went downstairs to the bar for a drink and to look at the menu, since I didn't think I had time to eat before the boat. I saw what I wanted on the menu, but also saw the bar closed at 9. When I told the waitress my dilemma, thinking I could order it quickly and leave it upstairs in my room, she told me no problem - if I was a guest at the hotel, they'd give me dinner when I returned at 9:30. So when I found her in the reception area to claim it, she looked me in the eye and said sorry, the bar closed at 9. I reminded her what she had told me and she flat out denied it. I asked where I could get dinner and they offered no suggestions, so it being nearly 10 by now and me tired and hungry, my dinner was a couple of snacks left over from my overseas flight provisions and a beer that they did actually sell me.

That was only the beginning of the fun evening, though. I thought I had a great room - right over the street, with a big terrace looking out to the water and beyond, only a hundred feet or so away. There was some hustle and bustle during the day - but at night, the closed bar area just below apparently became the local teen hangout, with much hilarity and conversation, and scooter races until 1 a.m. or so. It was by far the least restful sleep of two weeks in Italy, including four nights in the heart of Naples and one in downtown Messina.

Room Tip: Get a room on Lipari instead, and visit Stromboli on a day boat trip.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank slc624
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Room is like being in prison. You can hear all the doors banging and clanging. The receptionist could not have been less welcoming sent out side with a welcoming drink and left for fifteen minutes in the heat. After a 3hour boat trip this was not welcoming. The drink was supposed to be orange but was not. Noisy and certainly not what I expected. Tv did not work and no instruction. Asked for some information on the island and shown a map on a wall. For the money paid not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank HelenPearce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stromboli
La Sirenetta-Park Hotel
#9 of 11 in Stromboli
Residence Aquilone
Residence Aquilone
#1 of 11 in Stromboli

Been to Hotel Ossidiana Stromboli? Share your experiences!