“A must see” 5 of 5 stars

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Amazing to see an active volcano. At night it just lights up, keeps you on the edge of your seat, as you never know when its going to happen. Very exciting

Visited September 2012

42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Alive and kicking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is how we imagine volcanoes. After a strenuous walk, you end up at the top where you have a stunning view of Stromboli island and of the active mouths just below you exploding every few minutes. You'll never forget it.

Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“avoid Magmatrek”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

eruptions fully worth it but the guides from Magmatrek need an attitude adjustment (and some additional English lessons); it is very obvious that guide services are only provided/needed because of local government regulations; guides behave accordingly and not in an attempt to please clients

7 Thank KlausMaus139
London, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Have to be honest, the reward is worth it. However, although not the fittest person I was travelling with a friend who regularly does 10km runs and he struggled as did I. He wanted to do the 900M climb but on the day the tour cancelled due to the weather. I was happy to do the 400M platform to look over to the craters. Bearing in mind the tme and money spent we decided to walk the 400. The weather changes within 30mins so we were sure it would brighten up.
I say walk but honestly the 400M is a proper climb. It took me about 2.5/3hrs to get to the platform going at my own pace (I didn't fancy a tour with the pressure of having to keep up).
There are few signs to tell you where you are or how high you are, nor signs on how far to the 400M. On the way up I got drenched ina rain storm - think standing in a shower fully clothed for 40mins) but the weather cleared by the 400m and I had some great views (and sunset). Didn't see a lava flow this time and the eruptions were pretty random so missed getting a good photo (once you realise it's erupted the moment has gone) but the experience was amazing and the sound of the Volcano was awesome.
I agree with other posters though - it is a tough walk, long walk and you must take water and some food (I took chocolate which gave an instant energy hit).
For the way back down you MUST MUST MUST have a good bright (white light) torch. My friend had one with cheap (10 for a £1) batteries and half way down they were flat and he would have been stranded. On the way down it is pitch black, you cannot see anything.
Note with the 400M you go back the way you came so expect a tough return to the village.
I agree, the restaurant by the Church is not good. Food I had there was poor (I travel in Italy alot with business so I know good Italian food), service poor and snooty. Really didn't feel welcome.

I will go back and enjoy more for the things I learnt this time.

2 Thank Steve G
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hard work, bad luck on views but still well worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We climbed Stromboli with Magnatrek, they seem to like to make booking a chore but the guide in the end was great!

You start off from the square in the town about 4-4.30pm arriving at the top about 7.45pm having stops every 30 mins or so on the way up.

We were unfortunate that the wind was blowing all the steam directly at the viewing point. This meant we only saw the odd orange glow from the eruptions. No ones fault!

Magnatrek asks you to pack thermals and a dry t shirt for the top. You will need these!! The temperature is 8c cooler at the top and the wind is blowing.

Please remember you cam climb to 400 meters unguided on the North side of the island. Well worth doing! Only wished I'd done that at night.

Visited September 2012