Albergo Ristorante La Macchia
Albergo Paradiso(Monteluco)
$69
$67
Hotels.com
Albergo Villa Cristina(Spoleto)(Great Value!)
$103
All reviewsold railwayroom was cleanrobertaroostersbrayingmonkeysgroveumbriabalcony
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying here during our independent driving trip throughout Tuscany. We only stayed for one night but we really enjoyed it, especially the hospitality! This inn is like staying in someone's home. In fact, it IS a house! The family owners were sitting in their living room when we checked in and were just as friendly as can be. There are picturesque olive groves on the property as well as adorable donkeys (they didn't bother us at all as the owners move them at night so they won't disturb their guests) and a friendly cat who lives in the main house.

The first room we were shown was extremely spacious with large windows and a small balcony but it reeked of cigarette smoke (hey, it's Europe after all) so we asked to see another room. We chose a small room with no window that didn't smell of smoke and we were very comfortable. There was a refrigerator in our room as well as a very spacious and well-equipped bathroom. Toiletries and ample towels were provided. There was lots of easy, free parking and the grounds were bursting with blooming flowers and plants. The house / inn is located on a working farm so it was a lot of fun to look around.

The complimentary breakfast was lovely with delicious homemade sweet breads and cookies and tasty Italian coffee made to order. The owner even sent us on our way with a bag of freshly baked, homemade biscotti!

This isn't a 5 star hotel or resort, you are literally a guest in someone's home. But the owners welcomed us with big smiles and open arms. So warm and friendly in every way. There's not much to see or do in Spoleto so I would recommend this inn as a one-night, just passing through sort of place to stay. It's difficult to find (see my photos, you have to turn down a long dirt road or you will miss it)!

Note that only limited English is spoken so if you aren't fluent in Italian, make sure you have a translation book. We both took minor Italian lessons before our trip and we were able to communicate just fine. Remember, you are traveling outside of your native country so be respectful and always attempt to communicate in the language of the country in which you are visiting.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed for four nights while on a cycling holiday in Umbria. The pool is lovely, the room was clean and comfortable but far to small for a 4 night stay - other rooms were larger. No sign of the hotel cat - it must have died or run away. The food was good and portions generous, but with one waitress and a very full restaurant on all nights service was sporadic...house wine is cheap but not that good, so go for a bottle. There is a patio for pre dinner drinks, if you can find someone to get you one. I am afraid we just didn't understand all the effusive comments about how friendly and helpful the owners were...just didn't experience this. Overall felt that while this was a three star hotel it was basing its service on an agriturismo. Breakfast was variable, fresh fruit salad two mornings, tinned peaches the next, and a little too much cake. Not sure we would return.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Veloist
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I am writing this as I relax on my very comfortable bed after a full day of traveling in Umbria, starting in Assisi this morning. This hotel is a real find and I thank all the previous reviewers for alerting me to this hotel. I am traveling with my daughter but tonight we each have our own bedrooms as the price makes such an arrangement a very reasonable choice. As reported the staff is wonderful, the setting rural and beautiful; it is close to town. has a great restaurant.... I could go on and on. My daughter, who lives in Rome has already planned a return visit with her daughter. I hope to visit again when I visit from California next year.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Connie F
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a very nice family hotel, locates near Spoleto-this is very comfortable, if You travel by car-large free parking. Hotel offers great service and excellent restaurant! You feel Yourself like at home!!! Also in hotel lives Kiko-7-years old cat !!! ))))

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Burgerm B
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our second visit in about five years, and we loved it all over again. The Sabatini family are superb hosts -- and we adore Chicco, the hotel cat. (He is not allowed into the rooms.) The grounds around the property are beautifully verdant and flowery, and the restaurant never disappoints. It's hugely popular with locals, and Saturday nights are a bit frantic--best to eat early then.

My only small critique is that breakfast is on the sweet side, with cakes predominating (albeit homemade). I opted for yogurt and fruit each morning. There are cheese and salami, too, but the breakfast bread is strictly white--would have preferred whole-grain.

One change since last time is the addition of the two donkeys (one is pregnant, so the number may be three by the time you visit). I'd never heard donkeys and so I had no idea of the loud and unearthly noises they make. Added to the roosters, there was often cacaphony at dawn--enough to wake me up, and I'm a very sound sleeper. My husband enjoyed feeding fig skins to one donkey from the tree near the corral.

Rooms are on the small side, but there's a pleasant covered area to sit outside. My husband and I are not swimmers, so we can't comment on the pool. The huge vegetable garden, which provides fresh goodies to the restaurant, is as neat as a pin.

It helps to have a car here since the property is not super-close to Spoleto's old city and the walk, while do-able, is along a very busy road. The location is a great base for day trips to other cities such as Assisi, since it's 2KM from the traffic circles with on-ramps for SS3 and local roads.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends