“Good apartment to stay”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

4.5 of 5 bubbles Very good - based on 16 reviews

Reviews from our community

PeterHarv...
Norwich UK
“not what it said on the tin”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 for a stay in June 2013

It might have been the lovely seductive Spoleto itself or maybe previous guests didn't spend much time in the apartment, but enthusiastic reviews posted by others do not match our disappointment with the Duca - I raised my concerns with the Owner to give her a chance to mitigate things but she hasn't replied, now over a week ago. Where do I start ? We never met the owner and a NON-Engish speaking "representative" gave us a cursory show-around, was unable to answer basic questions such as what do we do with the rubbish, demanded full cash payment up-front and disappeared. The heating was turned on full !! and I needed to experimentally play with the boiler settings, with no help from the owner, to fix it. There were various standard items missing from the so-called "well equipped" kitchenette which were not forthcoming despite being asked, perishables soon went off in the fridge which was clearly inefficient. The flat is dingy, poky, noisy and poorly laid out, with nowhere to put anything and apart from the wardrobe nowhere to hang things. The walk from the covered car park takes about 15 minutes and you can't come and go in your car during the day as it's a flat fee for one stay. There was no sign of the claimed "free parking 10 minutes away"; I could go on, but all in all the reality of the situation is fair enough provided it had been clearly and honestly described, but what is claimed is an overelaborate misrepresentation of what to expect and had we been aware of what the flat actually is like and the inconvenience it incurs for a couple with a car and wishing to self-cater we would have picked somewhere further away from the town. A guest in the adjacent flat was as disenchanted as we were though I suspect "too polite" to raise this concern. Disgraceful.

4 of 5 bubbles How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 bubbles How helpful were the directions to the property?
3 of 5 bubbles How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 3 of 5 bubbles Overall condition of the property
3 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 2 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
3 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 2 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
2 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: It was a handy location if you wanted to be in the Spoleto old city
Liked least: see my review
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Oct 29, 2013
The relationship with guests and my personal involvment are the elements I care most. Guests opinions and their satisfaction are very important to me.
It is hard to recognize my apartment in your description, what you wrote about Il Duca apartment (dingy, poky, noisy and poorly laid out) is something that no one before has never told me and you can read dozens of true excellent comments about my apartments (called Spoletium Holiday Apartments) that are everywhere on the web. I've started on 2009 having hundreds of guests from all over the world and I'm honored to say that I had great human and professional experiences. I have good relationships with mostly of the guests coming and some of them also come for the second or third time. When my baby was born on 2012, I had presents sent from all over the world! It was more than I could expect from people that I meet just for a few days in their lives.
I think that the real problem in your case was my absence during your stay, I think this is the origin of your disappointment ...yes, unfortunately I couldn't be there during your stay because I was out of Spoleto in the previous week with my little son (at that stage was 15 months old, he was often sick and doctors told me that needed to stay by the sea for a week) I planned to come back the day before your arrival but he got very sick again and we had to go to the hospital, I was worried, I had a few time to quickly organize the check-in of 4 guests coming in the same day (included you), I had to do it by phone and by email from the place where. I thought to call the housekeeper and call you the arrival day to explain how to reach the meeting point and explain how to "use" the apartment (she speaks a few English words but is a kind and gentle lady) because she was the only person available that day, had the keys and she knew the apartments. You wrote "demanded full cash payment up-front"...you received a Booking Form before booking the apartment, I asked no deposit to book and you agreed, if you read again it you'll find "Please, pay the rental rate on arrival, at the time of handing over the keys", so this is what happened on arrival. You had paid no deposit so you could leave the apartment immediately without paying and I had no possibility to ask you the money back (and I wouldn't have asked you money back if you were not satisfied about the apartment) or leave the apartment the day before, there is the Tourist Office nearby and you could find another place if it was so terrible...why didn't you do it? You spent one week there, why didn't you text or email me your problems? You could have spend a better holiday.
I don't know why you described the apartment as "noisy", it is on a pedestrian central area, the only one way small street passes something like 30 or 40 metres away from the building and there are jus a few cars every day, you can hear no noise...just the one of bells from the nearby church or maybe birds singing in the morning. I live in the same area and you can describe it in many ways but not noisy.
I left tourist guides and books for you in the flat, suggestions for places to visit and how to go there, usefull email addresses, suggestions for Wine tasting tours and other ideas during your stay (as I do every time and now I've also improved this services!), together with a map of Spoleto with churches, monuments, museums, suggested restaurants, usefull numbers, the nearby grocery, pharmacy, bus stop, train station, car parking, minimarket and much more... If it was not enough I told you that could call me whenever you needed and I was ready to call you back and explain exactely by phone. You didn't call me during your stay to tell me that accidentally the heating system was turned on (in June!...it is strange but things may happen!) why? I could have easily helped you...why didn't you called me to ask where the free car parking was? It was signed in the map and I also marked the pedestrian street that you could do to reach it in 10 minutes.

On entering Duca apartment (such as the other apartments I manage that are all of a high quality level), people say, "Oh, it is so cute and cosy!" My apartments have been completely and beautifully restored on 2009 so appliances are new, I regularly check them. They have been perfectly and tastefully furnished, with hand made traditional style furniture, new thermal insulated windows, ancient wood restored doors, small beautiful details like candels, a nice sofa, mosaic shower, a cute small balcony outside with flowers and chairs. I really love my apartments and your description seems so far from the reality.

Coming to other elements that you pointed: you wrote that the kitchenette hadn't all that you needed...what do you mean? There are many things inside, kettle, toaster, electric/microwaves oven and much more. Again you said nothing about it when you where there, I could call the housekeeper to bring what you needed. The fridge is not inefficient, it had just the internal light off (it may happen, I changed it after your departure) but he was fresh and efficient.
Anyway, I understand that you had a negative experience and I'm sorry about it, Holiday Time should be a relaxing time, spent in the best way.
So I respect your opinion but please, try to respect the opinions that other guests wrote before you (there are just real comments of true travellers) and positive opinions that you can easily find about my apartments in the main international web sites. My apartments are rated "Excellent" in mostly of the comments and this cannot be disputed. It is not correct to question my sincerity and the sincerity of other comments. You wrote that other guests in the nearby apartment seemed not happy about theur stay "disenchanted as we were though I suspect too polite to raise this concern". I called them during their stay as I called you to be sure all was ok and they told me that were having a good holiday, then I emailed after their departure (as I did with you, this is the email I sent you with my photo and the one of my little son: "how are you? I hope you had a good trip back. I was thinking about the last guests I had in my apartments and I felt sorry about you, not to be there to know and meet you. To meet people, go for a walk and talk, share ideas, have a coffee together...this is the part of the rental business I prefer") and this was the beginning of their answer "we are sorry that we did not get to meet you. I am glad that your son is well now, he is gorgeous. We had a wonderful time and loved Spoleto. We did get to visit quite a few of the other towns and villages nearby and even though they were also beautiful we loved coming back to Spoleto. We had dinner in a different restaurant every night and finished the night off with a walk around the castle. We are hoping to return to Umbria next year and I think we will come back to Spoleto, so we may be in touch with you again to book the apartment. Hopefully we will meet you then. thank you and best wishes". They were in La Dama studio that is very similar to Duca apartment, but a little smaller.

You wrote " I raised my concerns with the Owner to give her a chance to mitigate things but she hasn't replied, now over a week ago." I knew nothing about your email so I've now checked my email correspondance and I realised that I sent an email to you after your departure, to know if the trip back was good, this is the first part of the email "how are you? I hope you had a good trip back. I was thinking about the last guests I had in my apartments and I felt sorry about you, not to be there to know and meet you. To meet people, go for a walk and talk, share ideas, have a coffee together...this is the part of the rental business I prefer".
You replied but your email contained the same text I had written, so I thought it was a mistake and maybe I had received a sort of "empty email" from you, now I checked again and it had no text from you but your response was written in the attachmen (that I didn't noticed!)
If I had read it I'd have certainly written you immediately a response!
This negative comment could be a damage for my rental activity but I hope travellers enquirying will give me the possibility to demonstrate that the apartments and the service are of a high quality and that I always give my best, with enthusiasm and passion.
This comment dates back last June, in the meanwhile I've improved many things (I always improve some elements!)...there are more hangers in the apartments, there is an English small book with more info about the apartments (how to use the heating system, how to swith on the tv/DVD, how to use internet, where to put rubbish - the rubbish bins are near the entrance door of the building, not so difficut to find also without my description!- there will be an underground elevator so that visitors can arrive directly from the car parking in the small square a few metres away from the holiday apartments (it was ready since 2012 but will be opened next January, it will be great for me!) I renovated some small elements in the kitchenettes (as I do normally every 3 or 4 months because I have many people coming and using them)....so I'm ready for the next seson and I feel optimist about the future!
I offer you the possibility to come for free for the second time whenever you prefer if I have availability, you can choose the apartment you like more so we'll be able to meet and I'm sure we'll have a good experience together. I finally agree with you...Spoleto is "lovely and seductive".
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 for a stay in May 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: Very good location. Close to restaurants
Jun 12, 2013
Hello! Thanks for this nice comment, yes, the restaurants in Spoleto centre are great, I agree with you :)
Zillah, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 for a stay in September 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: waking up in the morning.
Liked least: stairs
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
May 17, 2013
Hello Lisa, thanks a lot for your review, even if I have my paper guest books (my treasure!)I know that on line comments are very important for travellers planning their holiday. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay in Spoleto and maybe we'll meet in the future. You were in a cozy small apartment but do you know that now I have new larger and elegant properties to rent in Spoleto centre? This year I have 4 apartments in Spoleto but I'm planning to add new amazing properties...I'll let you know or you could follow Spoletium Holiday Apartments in Facebook to have news about great events and see pictures of Spoleto. If you like, could post your personal shots! Let's keep in touch :)
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 for a stay in January 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: Obviously the location in Spoleto, right in the heart of the old part town.
Liked least: I can honesty say, nothing.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
May 10, 2013
What a beautiful comment, thanks a lot to you and your wife for coming. Now that you know Spoleto during the Winter season, why don't try it during Spring or Summer? I know that the Winter atmosphere in a medieval town is beautiful, but the Spring flowering and Summer cultural and artistic events are good reasons to come.
Warren, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 for a stay in January 2012
5 of 5 bubbles How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 bubbles How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: Ponte delle Torri, Bridge of the Towers, is a 14th century bridge built over the foundation of a Roman aquedhe bridge is about 750 feet long and at the highest point it's 262 feet above the gorge.
Liked least: The weather was very unusually cold and snowy for about one week.
Your age range 65+
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
May 9, 2013
Thanks a lot! I wish you all the best.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
$91
Night
Week
Month
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing