“Fantastic Experience & Fresh Cuisine”
Review of Il Tartufo

Il Tartufo
Ranked #57 of 173 Restaurants in Spoleto
Cuisines: Italian, Moroccan
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

During our week-long driving trip through Tuscany and Umbria, we spent one evening in Spoleto. There's not much to see or do in Spoleto and there aren't very many dining options in town, but while wandering around we decided to pop in this restaurant to eat dinner. The owner / chef greeted us warmly and welcomed us with open arms. The restaurant was empty around 9 pm so we thought we must've been dining very late (and even commented how nice it was for them to accommodate us) but by around 10 pm, the place started filling up! Italians love to eat late at night!

You can tell the pride of ownership in this place. A lovely little room with dark wood paneling lends a cozy atmosphere. Each table has fresh flowers and yummy homemade bread. It felt like a chef's space; a foodie atmosphere for people who truly love food. The chef even sends out a small plate (amuse bouche) before your meal -- ours was a tasty tuna plate. You could tell that every dish was prepared with love and care.

We wanted a very light meal so we both ordered a glass of house wine (as with most places in Italy, this was very tasty red wine) and the zucchini blossom appetizer. The zucchini blossoms are a regional specialty and are not to be missed! Delicious and stuffed with tasty ricotta cheese, these things were one of the most memorable dishes I ate during my entire trip to Italy! For our main course we ordered the pasta course (again, only because we weren't starving), and there was no issue with us doing this and skipping the main meat course. In some restaurants in Italy, this is frowned upon but here it was no problem at all.

Our pasta course consisted of housemade fresh pasta with zucchini and a delicious buttery cheese sauce. The portion size was small but perfectly satisfying! I loved how fresh this dish tasted. For dessert, we were brought a complimentary plate of biscotti and cookies. Great food and personalized service make this the perfect place to eat if you find yourself in Spoleto.

This isn't a cheap place to eat but you really get a fancy, 5 star atmosphere in a casual setting. We were dressed in jeans (since it was raining) and we were dressed appropriately. I was worried that we were underdressed when we first went inside but as the place filled up, everybody was dressed in a casual / smart casual manner; don't worry if you didn't bring fancy clothes on your trip to Italy!

The owner and chef himself also waited on us and was absolutely charming, kind and delightful. He would smile as we gushed over how excellent the food was. He was truly beaming with pride. He spoke very good English as well (though we had fun attempting to converse with him in his native language; even with our limited Italian skills we had no problem communicating with him). I only put this in my review because I know that Americans in particular get nervous about the language barrier. If you have a translation dictionary you'll do fine. If I remember correctly, they had all of the menu items translated into English as well.

To avoid a ZTL ticket, park outside the city walls. There's lots of paid / metered parking. The restaurant is a short walk and is right inside the main gate.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We just happened to stumble upon Il Tartufo for lunch while wandering around Spoleto. Boy, are we glad we did! It ended up being one of the best meals we had in Umbria! I agree with the reviewer who said "wonderful restaurant in every way". The food was great, the service impeccable and the ambiance just right. The squash blossoms I ordered were cooked perfectly and had a nice addition of eggplant in them. We had the white truffle pasta and the squid ink pasta that was beautiful glossy black and tasted wonderfully of the sea. If you are in Spoleto, don't miss this restaurant!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Recommended by our villa operator, we went for a meal of truffles. We didn't have a full meal of truffles but what we had was lovely. Th stuffed pork trumped my truffle pasta. I wanted to love it but found myself wanting a little something more. Perhaps gnocchi? But Paoulo's wine is divine and very drinkable. Service was not over the top and refreshingly friendly. Try the tuffle menu if you loooove truffles but the rest of the menu is worth the visit.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stopped in for a late lunch here and were not disappointed. My partner went with the truffle menu and had an amazing tagliata of beef with shaved truffles. It was incredibly delicious - I still think about it. My meal was also great but the truffle dishes were the show stealers. The owners were happy to talk with us about the food, the methods and where to shop for truffles in Spoleto (which is a great town, as well).

Definitely stop in if your are in the area.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I spent a most delightful evening yesterday at il Tartufo celebrating my birthday. We have fallen in love with the food, elegant service and the owner/chef Paolo Di Marco. The atmosphere is warm, attractive and a cut above the norm. I loved the stuffed squash blossom starter and enjoyed the cod main course very much. My companion selected sea bass and gave it 5 stars. All desserts are the final grace notes! We've now had 2 meals there and have decided to eat there several more times before we leave Spoleto. I would VERY highly recommend il Tartufo for lunch or dinner.