“A must to visit, simply the best 'local' restuarant in Italy!”

Taverna La Lanterna
Ranked #32 of 174 Restaurants in Spoleto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We found this place tucked away in a side street just off the sqaure with the information office on it. It was quite full, certainly for a Tuesday evening. Full of local people, which says to me, that it must be good and by jove it was. Excellent food, warm welcoming staff without being imposing. Wine is terffic, try the Montefalco red, a bargin at 8.00€ per carafe, (1 litre) Pasta cooked to perfection. I cannot recommend this place enough. It was so good that we went back two nights later and enjoyed the same service and supreb food. They'll even find a taxi for you after hours, Taxi's dont generally work after 10.00pm, but they got us one.
Great place, just go there.

2  Thank Ciderman_11

Reviewed July 20, 2011

This is the one place in Spoleto that I will most definitely want to visit again. It is exactly what I look for in an Italian restaurant when i go to Italy. No English spoken when I was there, the place was full of families with young and old. There was one gentleman sitting near me whom everyone had to meet and greet as soon as they came in, I rather imagined him being the local Don. I just had pizza, wine, salad and desert, but they were the best that I can imagine getting from a family style place over there. There was much more on the menu, and as far as I could see, everyone was happy. The bill was so small that have no idea what it was, certainly not expensive. My five level "excellent" rqting overall is based on what I wanted from the place at the time, not to be confused with anything other than what it is.

1  Thank roadgard
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Visited Taverna La Lanterna recently while in Spoleto. We were attracted by the very good value set menu that they had advertised outside. €13 for a primi, secondo and a desert. The restaurant was quite empty when we arrived about 0830pm but by the time we ordered the place had filled up and was buzzing with atmosphere. The other diners were for the main part Italian and seemed to be in town for the Festival. The food was very enjoyable - strongozzi alla spoletina for our primi, pork steaks for mains and then a panna cotta and a coffee to finish. All very nice indeed. Our only quibble with the restaurant and the reason we have given 4 instead of 5 stars is that we felt they tried to 'take advantage of the tourists...i.e. us! We ordered some house red wine - vino rosso della casa which was listed at €4.50 but when the bill came they had charged us €8 which when we asked was because they had given us the Montefalco Rosso instead of the standard house wine. It was only a small amount of money and doesn't matter - however, the principal of it did - hence 4 stars.

2  Thank dubfam
Reviewed April 13, 2011

We found La Lanterna while walking around Spoleto, had heard someone talking about it and decided to eat there. It was delightful in every way. The food and wine were quite nice and the atmosphere was enjoyable. The patrons were all Italians except for us. The view of the old ladies cooking out back was inspiring. I do not hesitate to recommend this place.

Reviewed November 21, 2010

I'm not surprised to see so many reviews in Italian. This little restaurant, a bit off the main piazza, seemed to be a nice, typical Italian restaurant, frequented by locals. We really enjoyed our primi and secondi courses, plus a nice glass of wine. To us, the delightful pastas, olive oils & unsalted Umbrian breads (seasoned with salt & pepper!), as well as our main courses, were just terrific. The lovely ladies in the kitchen seemed very happy to allow me to take their photo, too!