“A great place and a great staff.”
Review of Hotel Mion

Hotel Mion
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Silvi Marina
Reviewed December 1, 2009

I was staying at the Mion for one week in July 2009 with my wife and we really enjoyed our holiday. The atmosphere is elegant but the presence of charming members of the Mion Family makes everything easy and informal. They and their great staff are not simply doing their job, our immediate impression was that they were offering much more than the expected standard services. They immediately know our names and memorised our interest for oenology: The second day they arranged for us a visit at two wonderful wineries in the country. Before reaching the hotel back from our excursions we had a flat, about 2 Km. from the hotel. We are aged people and don't feel comfortable with tire changing. We called the hotel using our mobile and Roberto Mion, the owner of the hotel, sent us 2 of his guys who changed the tire in a flash. This is just an example for the sense of ospitality we could enjoy during or stay.
The hotel is incredibly clean and the restaurant is serving the finest italian cuisine: no matter what we chose, meat, fish, pasta, soups, everything tasted fantastic. We heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 6, 2007

I have just spent a couple of weeks at this beachfront hotel, owned and managed by the Mion family.
Its greatest strength is the food, really superb for a relatively small 4star hotel, with dinners of four courses and, at each course, the choice among five dishes almost never repeated; besides, a good selection of wines at fair prices.
All the interiors are very clean, well furnished and comfortable including the rooms even if the size of the bahrooms is terribly small.
The private beach is sandy,very broad,clean and well kept, with sunbeds and umbrellas at a reasonable distance between the relevant users.
The service is excellent at all levels inside the hotel ( reception, rooms, bar, restaurant ), while it should be improved outside, where it is carried out by the pool and beach attendants, boys who are most nice and friendly but insufficiently trained and/or supervised. In fact, at the beach they are practically invisible ( but, if you manage to find them, they are kind and helpful ); at the swimming pool they are always present but unsuited to the role. For instance, during my stay there was a group of Britons, surely not among the winners of a good manners competition, who did completely ignore the international behaviour rules to be observed at the pools, also towards the other guests, but no attendant or anybody else did ever intervene.
Other positive features of the hotel are the presence at night of an unusually good pianist and vocalist, the free use of bicycles and the free, unlimited use of a computer with access to internet.
In conclusion, the warm hospitality of the Mion family, the first-rate food, the beautiful beach and, last but not least, the fair prices, make this hotel a recommendable one.

Rinaldo Pellegrini, Milan ( Italy )

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank rinaldino
Reviewed July 13, 2006

I had to write this - my first review - because I was astonished to read the bad write up a previous reviewer had given the Mion. It is a gorgeous hotel, run by warm-hearted people, and the food is outstandingly good. Silvi Marina isn't the most pretty resort in the red, though it's on a par with many more famous stretches of beach in Italy, but the Mion makes it worth a visit. I'll be back soon.

Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank DickDastardly
London
Reviewed March 26, 2006

We went to the Mion Hotel for 10 days, having done some touring in the north of Italy. We are seasoned travellers in Italy and love the country but were sorely disappointed with our experience at the Mion.

First of all Silvi Marina is very charmless and we would not recommend the Abruzzo coastline which seems to comprise extremely down-at-heel resorts - they should be avoided at all costs!

Secondly the Mion hotel was a singular disappointment. We had communicating rooms with the children - both were extremely basic and looked as though they had not been decorated for about 30 years. The bathrooms were tiny cubicles and merely had concertina plastic doors to pull across. We had just come from a 4 star hotel in Venice and there was a vast gulf between the standard of that hotel (the Londra) and the Mion.

The hotel charged significant extra sums for items which one would have assumed were included - towels for beach use, 12 euros per person for dining on the terrace in the evening (though in its brochure the hotel has numerous photos showing al fresco eating) etc.

As for the food, I just cannot believe the other reports. I have never had such uninspiring food in Italy - omelette was offered as a main course, the same vegetables (chicoria and swiss chard) appeared every evening and for lunch the dessert was thin slices of water melon and tinned fruit (!) - you had to pay extra for ice cream. For breakfast they used to run out of croissants and you had to wait for one of the owners to dispense these at the buffet just in case a guest might take more than his fare share. Furthemore the service was extremely slow - more attention was paid by the waiters to the owners' table in the dining room than to the guests.

Furthermore such food as there was was tasteless and was certainly not typical of the area. We took our hired car to Aquila on a trip and had a superb meal in a modest restaurant in the town - fresh pasta, tasty, nicely cooked meat and wonderful tasting figs, all for a very reasonable sum.

The gardens are minute, as is the swimming pool. The beach is quite nice but the surrounding beaches are fairly ghastly and there was an oil slick when we were at the hotel, which meant that we couldn't swim in the sea for quite a few days.

To cap it all, the owner's sister was ill in bed with an infection when we arrived - this spread through the staff - and all my family caught the lurgy and had to go on antibiotics.

So all in all the hotel nearly succeeded in putting us off Italy.

I was amazed to see that one of the Sunday newspapers recently rated this hotel as one of the top ten places in Italy - I cannot believe that the author has actually visited the hotel or the resort!!

• Stayed: August 2004
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 14, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a week long trip to Abruzzi Italy to visit family. While there, we stayed a few days at the Mion Hotel in Silvi Marina. The service was fantastic. Mr. Mion and his most gracious wife, along with their entire staff, made the visit to this wonderful hotel an experience we’ll never forget. We arrived at 3:00 pm and were greeted by Mr. Mion. Since we’re both American and my wife speaks very little Italian, Mr. Mion made every effort to make us feel at home by his effort to speak English and serve all our needs. Our bags were taken to our room. The room was clean and ample in size considering it was Italy and the room sizes do not compare to the US. The grounds of the hotel were beautifully manicured by the staff. The Beach was clean and tended to. Several times we asked for beverages and they came with a smile. The food was the best I’ve had in Italy. The breakfast and lunch buffets were outstanding, featuring foods of the region, including fresh sea food. The evening candle light dinner was very romantic and the choices of food were out of this world. We were served by a team of sharply dressed young men who were impeccable in their manners and service. Mr. and Mrs. Mion greeted every guest… not just because they were their customers, but you could feel that really enjoyed everyone’s company. It almost felt like you were in their private home. The town of Silvi Marina was fantastic and the people were very friendly. Since this was our 25th anniversary, we visited without our children. But next year, we’ll be planning a visit with our 11 and 16 year old girls. They’ll just love the hotel, the grounds and especially the service. I highly recommend the Mion Hotel and will no doubt return again. Surf the web for photos, especially the reviews on Charm and Relax. The photos are exactly as it was with the hotel. I’d recommend the Full Board rate. A bit pricy, but if you’re looking for an experience you’ll never forget... its well worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed June 29, 2005

Me and my girlfriend had a great time in Pescara, and didn't have any qualms about the hotel decor etc.
However, the management there was quite dodgy.
They didn't mention to us that there was a charge for
1) using their beach
2) using their towels
3) breakfast (we thought it was included, but it wasn't)

Overall, the experience was good, only spoilt by the fact that when they didn't inform us of these surcharges. This really put us off

Even if we go back to Pescara, we will not bother with Hotel Mion again

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Scotland
Reviewed June 22, 2005

The Mion Hotel is run by the Mion family, a true Italian family hotel. This is the first hotel I have ever stayed in where I have never had a single complaint or even a niggle (I am rather fussy!). The rooms are lovely and cool, linen changed daily, clean and spacious. Furniture and decoration throughout the hotel are very classical, the bedrooms and bathrooms could not be further from a standard hotel room.

There are only two hotels in Silvi with a pool, Mion is one. A ten second walk from the pool is the Mion's beach, always clean and safe, with service from the hotel if you wish.
What I really love about the Mion is the food, ahhhh! an abundance of proper Italian cuisine, not just at dinner, but breakfast and lunch too. The menu changes nightly and there is always freshly caught local fish/seafood to devour! The service is wonderfully provided by excellent staff, very professional, certainly no curt Italian waiters here.
I have stayed at the Mion 3 years in a row, however my in-laws have been coming back every year for about 10 years. The Mion has never disappointed.

It is situated halfway along the main street (Via Garibaldi) in Silvi and as such is perfect for wandering to and from. The staff are very friendly and speak many languages, always willing to help with suggestions of where to go, what to do etc.

Reading this back, I am not sure I have done this hotel justice, I hope so as it has been the basis for many a memorable holiday for me. If you visit I am sure you will experience the same. Ciao.

• Stayed: June 2004