“Good location, pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cristallo

Hotel Cristallo
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Sestriere
London, UK
“Good location, pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed in January 2013 as part of a group. I found the previous reviews on Trpadvisor very useful before travelling so I knew what to expect. Our friends had already booked the hotel so we chose it so that we were all co-located. We had a very enjoyable holiday and on balance I was happy with the hotel.
I liked the location, about as good as you can get in Sestriere in terms of proximity to the lifts, although the Hotel du Col on the other side of the road is slighly nearer, and the Villaggio Olympico is closest to the gondola for the link to Sansicario & the rest of the Via Lattea. When returning from Sansicario at the end of the day you need to take a lift up on the Sestriere side in order to get back up to the Cristallo & the centre of town.
I liked the buffet breakfast & afternoon tea. The restaurant was OK but I wouldn't rave about it. We ate there twice in the evening as we were staying B&B and ate out elsewhere the rest of the time.
We booked too late to get a room with a mountain view, but I wasn't too disappointed about this as our room, 104, was very spacious with twin beds made up as a large double and an extra single. The bathroom was fine: no bath but a very good height adjustable power shower and reasonable hair drier. The view from the window was a fire escape and a brick wall, but as we were out skiing all day & it was dark when we were in the room it was not an issue.
I didn't like the plastic undersheet - there are more modern alternatives these days that can be as effective, so beware those of you who are sensitive to such things (like me & one of the previous reviewers).
The decor is maybe a little unfashionable, but personally I'm not a fan of ultra-modern design, but on the up side, there was plenty of storage space. I would have liked some brighter light bulbs especially over the mirrors. I liked the fact there was a mini-bar fridge.
The hot-tub was a big disappointment as the water was only luke-warm. The spa area is a bit clinical and the floor was very wet, however the sauna and steam room were good. The cardio equipment looked to be of a good standard, but with lots of skiing on offer I had no need to use it.
I bought some internet time from the hotel - 2 Euros for 2 hours and got a reasonable strength wireless signal in the room and a better signal in the bar. The minutes you buy can also be used on the hotel's desktop PC. Other members of our party used the commune's free wifi successfully during the day, but this became weaker as people returned from skiing after 4pm.
What made the stay at the Cristallo that bit special was the friendliness and efficiency of the hotel staff, particularly the receptionists. Nothing was too much trouble.
We travelled in a very civilised manner to Sestriere by train: Eurostar to Paris Nord, RER to Gare de Lyon, and TGV to Oulx. The hotel arranged a taxi for 6 of us from the station at Oulx to the Cristallo which took around 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Room capacity varies enormously. Some of the mountain view rooms are very small, others slightly lar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ManU_Sue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We went to Sestriere on 15th December 2012,with the Girls. At beginning we were so lucky, because they upgraded us from Belvedere Hotel to Hotel Cristallo, just in front of the pistes.
Cristallo is a good ski hotel, with a perfect location, all staff very friendly, and everything always cleaned. That was a great ski week! We had all the resort just for us: the hotel was almost empty, the ski school had few people, there was no queues on the lifts, lot's of good snow and a shining sun all days. It could't be better! At night, we had a formidable dinner, everyday we tasted a traditional Italian food ( lasagna, pasta, cannelloni's, gnocchi) , everything cooked at the moment and tasted delicious. The rooms were pretty large, we had a room for 4, and the always cleaned. My only suggestion: the hotel need a living room to stay with kids, playing cards or any other game, after dinner. For us, there was no problem, because we always had the only place available (in front of the reception) to stay a little after dinner. We rented our ski at the Marcelino Store, which had a good range of skis and you could store them for free everyday after skiing at ski locker near the ski school (it was great not to carry the skis everyday). We will come back again!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a great stay during Christmas week at Hotel Cristallo which is perfectly positioned for access to the ski school and ski lifts which are just across the road and a small shopping area is just around the corner. We stayed in room 118 which is on the first floor immediately opposite the slopes; the room was perfectly adequate although the room and hotel decor in general is dark and dated and could do with a refurb. The hotel was kept nice and warm which is just what you need after a day on the slopes.

Restaurant in the evening was superb with plenty of choices and is highly recommended.

The spa & gym facilities were small and basic yet were spotlessly clean and adequate.
Restaurant, Bar, Reception and Room staff were very polite, always willing to help and they kept the hotel spotlessly clean.

We had a fabulous week but a couple of small things would have resulted in a higher review and improved our stay i.e. there were no tea & coffee making facilities in the room, and the only english language channel available on the satellite TV was CNN.

The bed was a problem as it was lumpy and sagged in places and was uncomfortable; the other issue was the mattress protector (I understand these are necessary for hygiene purposes but surely other options could be explored?) which was a rubberised sheet that caused me to wake after a few hours all damp and sweaty. I resolved this slightly by placing a towel on top of the rubberised protector and beneath the bottom sheet.

Room Tip: choose a front facing room for a fabulous view of the slopes, however, these can be a bit noisy from...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MisJoules
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked a weeks stay at the Hotel Cristallo over the Christmas week Dec 2012. Great hotel, staff excellent and very helpfull. 3 bed room was a good size and kept very clean by the cleaning team, restaurant was excellent the food was fantastic and highly recommended. The location of the hotel is great, 2 mins to the ski school for my wife and the same to the chair lift for my son and I to go and explore the great ski runs of the ViaLattea.
Only down points for the hotel - No broadband wireless service - Decor ready to be updated, looking a bit tired - If you want a view request it, we were located at th erear of the hotel with no view.
Apart from that, great!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 2outoftown
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Located in a great position close to the pist, the ticket office and the town centre, this hotel offers a good compromise between confort and practicality. Rooms are slightly on the classic style. The heating system is rather noisy when on. The wifi is not free although the town authority is putting up a free wifi for everyone. The restaurant offers great service and good food.
Take a room on the back side.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back. No view but rather quiter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Giovannide
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel is perfectly located in the center of the village. The rooms are nice and clean. The view from the front rooms are what you should go for. Breakfast could be better. Staff is kind and it's totally worth what you pay.
No comments on the restaurantb as I never went.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JohnSuisse
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

WOW what an amazing hotel the best location in Sestriere and the staff are awesome...very friendly. The room was a gem with a miliion dollar view of the gorgeous mountains. The breakfast had an extensive selection and the meals were scrumptious. The staff were very friendly Michela and the girls at reception were very helpful. They spoke fantastic english and nothing was never a problem. Lidia the housekeeper was sweet and always left me yummy chocolates ....the room was always spotless. Very high quality cleanliness throughout the hotel. The waiters were amazingly funny and assisted me with anything nothing was a problem. Thankyou Domenico, Claudio and Pino for making me feel so comfortable as I was mainly dining alone and it felt like a very homely environment during dining. I am an aussie and it was one of the best experiences I have had in an italian hotel as I have travelled Italy many times and this hotel was my FAVOURITE...Thankyou and I will visit again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends