“Sestriere has better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Sestriere
London, United Kingdom
“Sestriere has better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Hotel Savoy Edelweiss is a traditional hotel in Sestriere which, although adequate on most fronts, lacks a few things you'd expect for your money and that other Sestriere hotels definitely offer.

The hotel itself is one of the oldest in the resort and they make a virtue of their traditional look and feel. Some will think this is quaint. For me, it felt like they were making a virtue out of dated and old-fashion decor and fittings.

The rooms themselves are small - even the larger rooms are small. For a skiing holiday that's not a big deal as most of the time is spent on the slopes. Our double room had two singles which was annoying. But worst of all, the bathrooms are really dated and inadequate. Our shower was tiny and had a curtain intended to cover 2 sides - which inevitably flooded the bathroom each time. The rooms were warm and clean but a little noisy - there was quite a bit of noise from neighbours arriving/leaving which was easily heard in our room,

The restaurant is supposed to be a major feature but we found the food no more than adequate and some dinners pretty poor. At breakfast there was never sufficient for hungry skiers. At dinner, none of the salads were labelled so often you've no idea what you're eating. When asked, the chef attempted to cater for particular diets (eg vegetarian) but overall meal times weren't a high point.

But most annoying of all, the Hotel charges extra for all drinks. At dinner, there is no water available for free (a bottle costs e2.50), all soft drinks and wine are extra. A beer in the bar costs e6 and average wine about e22. It feels like you are paying through the nose for drinks and after a week, our bar bill came to a tidy sum of money on top of already steep prices.

Staff were efficient and pleasant but nothing comes for free in this hotel. We left having had a great week's skiing but feeling like our wallet had been hit hard in an average hotel. I'm sure Sestriere has better.

Room Tip: Choose a bigger room. They're still not very big but every little helps.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
AlessandroGuiot, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Edelweiss, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Sestriere has better....of course we are a 3 star hotel and we hope the 4 are better taht us , although we know that for more reasons we are considered by our guests better than some 4 stars hotel and with a big soul and an authentic athmosphere
We have a great position , we offer for free storage for ski and ski-boots directly on the slopes ,we offer a spa entrance daily with sauna , hottube,big jacuzzi,small jacuzzi, relax room, warm big chaise longue ,a little fit area and massage zone.We have free parking and free wifi.Your room was a economy basic small room (maybe you decided to book for that or you only found that available),I know that this room in particullar has a tiny shower in anycase we will renovate this room in the future .
You have been very strict about our restaurant.Especially this year that we decided to improve the service (see all the comment of the other guest).
Most of your problems are due to the fact that you have to pay extras (but this is a normal rule for every hotel ,unless they offer an all inclusive service).
Our extra prices are balanced to the average prices of Sestriere and we did not feel like we" hit hard in you wallet "because all the prices are exposed.
Alessandro Guiot

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked 2 rooms independently at this hotel for my family for our ski trip after some investigation and reading other reviews, I wasn't disappointed. The key factors for me were the proximity to the slopes as I didn't want to drive or be dependent on shuttle buses, the half board option and, free wifi. We booked early so got a good deal on the prices.
Our rooms were the 2nd highest level, mine and my husband's room was nicer than the twin for the children but both had really well appointed bathrooms and plenty of space. The food was plentiful and interesting with enough variety for all of us. We arrived late on our first night due to traffic problems and we were phoned to check on arrival (as we pulled up to the door!) and dinner was still available for us.
The hotel were very helpful with the advice and discounts on ski school and equipment hire. The ski hire and storage facility was great, the staff there were really helpful and friendly especially as this was my first ski trip so I didn't really know what I was doing. We did get really lucky with the weather having clear blue skies for most of the first 4 days which does help the overall feeling of the holiday.
I noticed a few reviewers mentioned wifi problems!? We had none at all, it was completely free and, whilst maybe not as quick and reliable as you would have at at home, more than acceptable for checking up on emails and doing a little bit of internet surfing.
I don't like large anonymous hotels so, the Savoy Edelweiss was perfect in that respect, it has a very comfortable, cozy feel and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
AlessandroGuiot, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Edelweiss, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for all your nice comment.We all remenber your nice famikly and we hope to see you again.
hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

> I would like to say thank you to all of the Hotel
> staff for such a wonderful holiday. I cannot name you all as everyone made such an effort to make us comfortable. We loved the hotel, it was
> intimate and charming and all the food we had was just fabulous, I
> just wish my appetite was larger as everything was so delicious and
> there was a huge variety. The selection of food ... the pasta, risotto and meat dishes were excellent but before those the delicious cold buffet was already filling! I never managed a pudding but my friends tell me they were also great.

The room was comfortable, very clean and warm with excellent
> bathroom facilities, good hot shower with plenty of pressure.>
Again, I just want to say thank you for a wonderful week, it was
> probably the nicest hotel I have stayed in having skied over 14 times
> in Italy, France and Canada. We have paid far more and had far less
> ... I think your secret is that the hotel is small, cosy and it
> offers
> a real service, that also shows in the bar area where we made so many
> friends. Your location is ideal too, so close to the ski area.
> I also enjoyed the spa but was so busy having a good time in the bar
> that we only used it on one day!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, in my opinion although a 3 star it should have a 4 star rating.

Room Tip: When booking we paid a supplement for a larger room for two, in essence it was a double bed with a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for the nice world you wrote.
It have been a great honour to serve & sotisfy you.
Hope to see you again
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the Savoy Edelweiss for a week at the beginning of Feb. The rooms were clean & comfortable although some of our party did find the room for 3 quite small but we found this was due to some confusion when booking through Crystal. Apart from this, the hotel was perfect for our trip. The food was great with plenty available and lots of choice. The lounge area around the bar was a nice place to relax in the evenings and the staff always friendly and helpful.

There is a room to store your boots & skis right at the bottom of the slopes which is really useful and means you don't ever have to carry your skis very far.

We found the resort to be quite quiet with not much going on in the evenings but this might just be because we travelled fairly early in the season and we did hear from a few people that the Italians prefer to ski later on. We found a nice friendly bar that we went to most days after skiing, called napapiri. They had a happy hour offer from 4.30- 2 for 1 on beer served with free popcorn & crisps.

The ski area was massive and even the more experienced members of our party found there was lots to do. We'd recommend skiing at Sauze d'Oux, along with Claviere and Montgenvre. There are coach trips and taxis that can take you these areas if you don't want to worry out skiing there and back.

Overall we really enjoyed the holiday and would recommend staying at the Savoy Edelweiss. We would definitely consider coming back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
AlessandroGuiot, Direttore at Hotel Savoy Edelweiss, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your enthusiastic comment on our hotel Savoy Edelweiss.
We hope to see you soon.
Alessandro Guiot & Staff
Poole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I took 19 friends to Sestriere for a weeks skiing, staying at the Savoy Edelweiss.
It is in a good position, just 200 metres from the slopes, with a boot and ski room on the slopes.
Our week was excellent for weather and snow, with nearly 100% perfect skiing conditions.
The Hotel served excellent food, truly Italian style, with Italian rules, no changing tables etc.
Being an older Hotel, every room is a different shape and size, ranging from quite cramped to quite roomy. My shower cubicle was just big enough for one person, and if you dropped the soap, you had to get out of the shower to bend down.
But all in all, a pleasant experience. And cheaper than France

Room Tip: Contact the hotel in advance for detgails of your room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alan C
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for you nice comment and we hope to see you again.
It is true that we are cheaper than France:) So we are waiting for some nice guests.
Northants
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here for a skiing holiday with Crystal. We got a good internet package deal, and had a fantastic holiday in Sestriere, however the hotel was disappointing. I think we had the most basic room and unfortunately we could not upgrade after seeing the room. The room was very small with 3 sunk in the middle beds. The bathroom was a large cupboard (small doorway into it) with a cubicle shower and small toilet behind a folding door. The hotel staff were willing to push the beds together to make a double, however as they were so sunken in the middle it didn't really work as planned. We felt that cleanliness and maintenance could have made up for the small room, however this could have been a lot better too!! It was dusty on shelves and the shower had mould inside. There was an old broken soap dispensor inside the shower that could have been removed and the shower door kept coming off the sliding rails every time we went to use the shower. There were also small nails sticking through the shower door from where they had "tried" to repair it! The room temperature was also hard to maintain, sometimes too cold. We had to lift the curtain up onto the window sill to allow the heat from the radiator below to penetrate the room. Other guests also complained to us about the cold rooms. I'm sure this was not helped by the staff leaving the bedroom windows open on some days. One day we ran out of toilet paper and often they did not replace the shower mat (a problem when the shower leaked onto the floor)! The walls were thin and you could hear your neighbours quite clearly.
The food! Well this was interesting. Apparently they cater for special diets, however if you call offering a vegetarian omelette nearly every day for dinner or grilled vegetables for a change, then I would not call that catering for vegetarian. Personally I don't think they made much effort to cater for special diets. There was a person on our table who was intolerant to some foods and one day they just gave her a plate with some meat on with no alternative side vegetables to the buttered spinach that she could not eat! The salad bar was boring and repetitive. The breakfasts were boring and needed more variety. I found it easy enough to eat out for lunch being a vegetarian, so I found it hard to understand why the hotel could not do better. The other problem with the meals, were that they were often not hot enough. One man on our table left his meal as it was too cold. The waiter argued that it was "perfect" and that it was meant to be served cold (beef and vegetables).
Wi-fi - Was very hit and miss and you have to pay. We used a nearby cafe to access the internet for free to keep in touch with home.
To offer a balanced review, the hotel staff were generally friendly and most tried to be helpful. I think the language barrier did not help with solving some of the problems. The plus side was that you could leave your skis and boots free of charge in a ski storage facility next to the slope (the hotel did not have a boot room).
The Crystal service was excellent and we really enjoyed the social skiing and social events on offer.
I think we would have preferred staying in the Hotel Du Col.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade when booking. Don't choose the most basic room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
AlessandroGuiot, Proprietario at Hotel Savoy Edelweiss, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry you were so upset that you wrote such a long letter at your arrival at home.I personal think it is a good way to travel to speak directly with the manager or the onwer during your stay.
As regarding the food I always have been there and I remember a waiter that told me a guest was not happy with the second course of one day that was roastbeef (in Italy roastbeef usually is served tepid ).It was the second time that an English guest hade to argue about this , for this reason I promise my self never to serve roastbeef as a main course but only served in the buffet of appetizers .I am discussing the issue now with some guests of Crystal that booked for this week in standard rooms.
As regarding the small basic room it is not so bad as you wrote (you should have told us about this when you were here so we could address them) .
We have 3 types of rooms with Crystal and you book the cheapest one.
We also have 2 upgraded room that crystal don’t have with are the comfort plus and prestige with big bathroom with Jacuzzi shower or Jacuzzi bath.
Any of our guests this week say it is cold in the rooms.
As regarding the offer for breakfast we provide : fresh handmade cakes,biscuits, croissants, cookies, yoghurt, cereals, muesli, many kinds of jams, fruits, black and white bread, bacon, scrubles egs, hard-boiled egs,wurstel, ham, cheese, fruits, hot and cold drinks. There is a lot of choise.It is a good breakfast for a three star hotel.
Also the salad buffet and appetizer offer to you 13 types of different options every day and many of them are vegetarian.We also provide for vegetarians differents pastas ,always a vegetarian soup ,differents types of cheese ,differents types of omelettes and grilled vegetable.I cannot belive a vegetarian person could not find something for him …and sorry but we don’t have tofu yet.
We all remember the three table of your small group and the chef assure that at the arrival woman said that she was intolerant to butter ect. and he is certain 100% the spinach were only with oil and that during all the week he prepared food only for her intolerance.
In anycase , I suggest, if you are going into a small hotel it would be helpful advise the hotel before arrival and ask if they can cater for what you want before booking.
We make 4 days buffet also of main course and 3 days of menu à la carte and in this 3 days the plate are hot within the food inside (apart the roastbeef that is served lukewarm). All desserts are home made also for breakfast.
The are a three star hotel and personally I spend a lot of many in my hotel and in the food.
We offer more personal service that a chain hotel.
In any thank you that you spoke positively about our very good free ski-storage on the slope ,by the way the also have a little ski storage ion the hotel .You also forget to speak about our very cosy bar area this piano, pool table , tv and sofa .You also forget to say that we have 100 mt of SPA center that from next year will be given for free at crystal guest (until now they payed a fair rate of 25,00 euros for 6 days). We inform you that we have now made wi-fi freely available to all guests.The 4 star hotel you mentioned doesn’t have this service .I really don’t understand why you are so angry with us.By the way we cannot be loved by everybody.
Your sincerly.
Alessandro Guiot
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently returned from out first holiday in Sestriere, and were very impressed with the resort and the hotel choice. The hotel has a cosy, family feel to it, with plenty of rooms downstairs for relaxing in. Our bedroom was on the small side, but perfectly adequate, with a pretty good sized bathroom. The food was good, very italian with numerous courses and choices of wine. They have an arangement with a ski hire, drop off place at the foot of the slopes, so very easy to drop off your kit at the end of the day and wander back. We found a great bar on the walk home, just off the roundabout, baraldo is the name, very local, super bar man providing crisps and nuts with our drinks.
We had a super time exploring the ski area, which is vast and varied, we will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jane l
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for all your nice comment.We hope to see you again.