Hotel Biancaneve
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Olimpic(Sestriere)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewscroissantsski schoolevening mealenjoyable staystore skis and bootsgondola liftshort walksoupexcellent food and servicefree storagefeb half termhead waiterfamily holidayhot waterski holidayreception staffski area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went here Jan 2013 pleasant stay, although shame about the lack of snow;

Good points;
Lots of good food
Great for what you pay
Cleaned to high standards daily
Fresh towels on request
Friendly sisters
Bath in rooms with sitting option ideal for sore legs

Bad points;
Further than you would like from the lifts, however there is a free bus that goes every 7-10 mins from outside the hotel straight to the ski lifts.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank HenryBubbles
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Biancaneve from the week commencing 27th January and was not expecting much after reading reviews however I am pleased to say it was much better than expected.

Firstly the rooms decor was very dated with a TV that didn't work and looked like it probably hadn't since the 60s however for me a room is to sleep in and not much time is spent there. On the other hand I was lucky enough to be staying in room A12 which was very spacious with a large private balcony and additional private conservatory area which was a nice area for some chilled out pre dinner drinks.

I booked through Neilson's and found the rep to be very helpful and she was regularly present at the hotel which definitely added to the overall enjoyment of the holiday. The week I was present I was blessed with some excellent guests and there was definitely a very friendly feel throughout the hotel at breakfast and dinner.

The hotel was short uphill walk to the resort center which was not ideal after a week skiing however did not cause any problems and should not put anyone off unless they have difficulty walking. The resort itself was good lots of nice bars and good company again compliments to Neilson rep Sarah who was able to help build friendships among their guests through various evenings entertainment.

Back to the hotel I found the evening meals to be pleasant there was a choice of 2 starters and 2 mains both provided large supplements of good 3 star food (better than what I would expect for the money) I found the staff to be quirky which I like, Daniela who is the bar/restaurant Manager had an unusual way about her however seemed accommodating.

Book this hotel if you are looking for a cheap week on the slopes and enjoy a sociable holiday as you will want to venture to the bars most evenings.

Sam Morrella-Robinson

Room Tip: Request to stay in room A12 it is much bigger and more comfortable. Bring a laptop with some pre downloaded films
3  Thank sam m
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Reception staff were friendly and helpful and check-in was quick. Rooms were generally disappointing: we had a party of 14 so had a look round 7 rooms. All were quite small and the showers were tiny. There was no way to control the heating, so we all had to sleep with the windows open or suffocate. Rooms were fairly clean, although they wouldn't stand up to a deeper inspection. The breakfast was good with a good range of cereals and the usual continental breakfast, although there was no hot food. Coffee was awful. Dinner was pot luck, some were okay, whilst others were not good. The fish on the last evening was revolting. Waiting staff were over-worked and service was therefore slow. However, the free afternoon tea was a very good idea and we participated nearly every day. Sauna was 10 euros per person per half hour which most of us thought too expensive.

On the plus side, the walk to the slopes wasn't too bad, it's a bit of a trek to the gondola / lift at the bottom of the resort, but there is a short-cut through the car-park opposite onto the slopes. Usually took us a good 5 minutes to walk out. The free ski-locker was great, although it does get very full-up. It might be better to hire one of the lockers in town if you are in ski-school, otherwise you face a long walk in ski boots.

The disadvantages of the hotel were by far outweighed by a truly amazing resort and fantastic skiing.

1  Thank SPMH
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Reception and other staff all friendly and helpful. Public areas and rooms all well cleaned. The food was generally good for the three star standard - nice selection of starter salads, then two simple courses, with two choices for each, which we were asked to select the previous evening. All followed by a help yourself pudding table, which always had something I liked. Only had one menu item which was disappointing - hake with an overpowering sauce and a rather unpleasant texture. Breakfast was the basic continental - help yourself to bread, croissants, cheese, hard boiled eggs, cereal, fruit, all fine to fuel up for a day's skiing.

The idea of free tea and what seemed to be homemade biscuits from 4:30 was really welcome after a day on the slopes, don't know if they just do this for the Brits. Refreshing after a hard day, and pleasant to chat with the other guests.

Another reviewer's comment that the lady behind the bar didn't want to serve tap water made me smile - we had exactly the same thing, and she said this was because the water wasn't good to drink! (nothing wrong with it as far as we could tell, and we drank it in the room). But she gave us bottled water free of charge as if it were a favour - I had thought there was a legal obligation to provide tap water if requested. Strange.

The rooms which I saw were all rather small, cheaply furnished, but beds comfortable. Why is overheating in hotel rooms so often a problem? Haven't they heard of thermostats? We were fine though, sleeping with the window open. The bathrooms I saw were cramped, in one case hilariously - they had crammed a toilet/ bidet/ sink/ shower cubicle into such a small space that you had to tuck your knees under the sink to sit on the toilet. Our room had a shower tray with curtain, not my favourite mode. But there was always plenty of hot high pressure water, and we weren't too bothered. There was a television mounted on a bracket about 8 feet up the wall, so just as well there were only Italian programmes, because rather uncomfortable to watch.

I thought charging 10 euros for the sauna was way too much, and didn't use it.

I've seen some comments about noise, and on one night for us there was a terrific noise as people returned from somewhere between about 4:30 and 5:00 am. Very antisocial. Otherwise not really a problem; it is on the main road so there are cars, and now and again a snow plough as someone else commented, but these didn't bother us.

Hotel is OK-ish for access to the slopes, but not the best. There is the choice of a c. 10 minute walk up the hill to the main ski school area, with chair and button lifts, or a similar walk downhill to another chair lift outside the Olympic village hotel, which was also where the gondola to Sauze starts. We used the latter, and found an easier flat route going through the Olympic village hotel car park just across the road, and then left behind the apartments following a little path which comes out at a foot bridge leading into gentle slope down which we could coast on skis to the gondola and chair lift. You can store skis and boots at the hotel (boot racks not heated), or if you are hiring from the shop in ski school building can store skis for a returnable key deposit at the "ski and go" place. Boots cost extra to store. If not a beginner then easiest approach is to keep boots and skis at the hotel, and even if you want the ski school area, go down to the gondola and chair, take the chair and then ski down the nice blue run to the ski school area.

We were given a free pass to use the shuttle bus which goes up to the ski school area, but on the morning I waited for it I was eventually told by someone it wasn't running. The timetable isn't very frequent, so it doesn't seem much like a shuttle. I didn't bother with it again.

I would certainly return to Sestriere, but unless money is tight I would probably go a bit more up market for the hotel next time; but I wouldn't avoid Biancaneve, and if our party wanted to stay there again because of a good deal, I would be happy to go with the flow!

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Andy C
Reviewed January 27, 2013

After reading some of the poorer reviews I wasn't sure what to expect, however I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel.

Staying at the Biancaneve in Jan 2013 for skiing was an excellent budget choice.

I was staying on the Apartments side, rooms that also have a kitchenette which was locked as I was half board. The room was clean but showing its age, weirdly laid out with the space being lost to ikea style bunk/wardrobes that went over the main bed making it a little claustrophobic until I got used to it.

The rooms on that side were all angled to the balcony where my room was facing the stunning slopes with sunrise and a perfect view of the mountains. Unforgettably it also came at a price - being on the main road which was a little busy most the night at the weekend and early mornings, the main culprit being the snowplough (sounds like a bottle bank being emptied or jet crashing depending if the door was closed or open!!!). I understand ear plugs solved not only this but the apri-skiers noise in the early hours.

There wasn't anywhere to really sit in the room to watch the non tuned TV (which I didn't want to watch so didn't get fixed) but the TV room would have done nicely if I needed. The bed was really really soft, like a hammock, but once mentioned to the staff it was soon replaced to my liking.

I apparently was lucky that I could turn off the radiators (had the -10deg air coming in the first night to try and cool it) others in the main part didn't have that luxury, they really do need to address that with some cheap thermostats on the radiators!

The food was top notch. Plenty of fresh salad to start (help yourself) and 2 further courses which you select the day before from a list of 4, being italy it was generally a couple of tasty pasta dishes and a veal/meat/fish dish with some veggie too. Then help yourself to 3 far too nice puddings (I did) and even an ice-cream trolley on top.

After a hard day skiing eating so I couldn't move was just right.

The breakfast was also very good for energy, cereals, fruit, juices, croissants, cheese and meat with rolls, all self stuff! I only needed lunch twice and that was only though greed. For Neilson clients we even got tea and bickies at 4pm! I had expected to eat out once or twice but just couldn't find a menu I didn't like in the hotel so ate in every night.

The staff were all very efficient, polite, smiling and I only found one could be slightly offish at times (mainly when I wanted to refill a water bottle with tap water that she was adamant shouldn't be drunk) and found any problems previously mentioned by reviews last year totally unfounded, maybe staff moved on?

Overall I can recommend the hotel for budget conscious skiers who enjoy a good meal!

Room Tip: Go high up and get one where you can turn off the radiators!
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook