“Far better than expected”
Review of Hotel Biancaneve

Hotel Biancaneve
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Sestriere
Reviewed January 27, 2013

After reading some of the poorer reviews I wasn't sure what to expect, however I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel.

Staying at the Biancaneve in Jan 2013 for skiing was an excellent budget choice.

I was staying on the Apartments side, rooms that also have a kitchenette which was locked as I was half board. The room was clean but showing its age, weirdly laid out with the space being lost to ikea style bunk/wardrobes that went over the main bed making it a little claustrophobic until I got used to it.

The rooms on that side were all angled to the balcony where my room was facing the stunning slopes with sunrise and a perfect view of the mountains. Unforgettably it also came at a price - being on the main road which was a little busy most the night at the weekend and early mornings, the main culprit being the snowplough (sounds like a bottle bank being emptied or jet crashing depending if the door was closed or open!!!). I understand ear plugs solved not only this but the apri-skiers noise in the early hours.

There wasn't anywhere to really sit in the room to watch the non tuned TV (which I didn't want to watch so didn't get fixed) but the TV room would have done nicely if I needed. The bed was really really soft, like a hammock, but once mentioned to the staff it was soon replaced to my liking.

I apparently was lucky that I could turn off the radiators (had the -10deg air coming in the first night to try and cool it) others in the main part didn't have that luxury, they really do need to address that with some cheap thermostats on the radiators!

The food was top notch. Plenty of fresh salad to start (help yourself) and 2 further courses which you select the day before from a list of 4, being italy it was generally a couple of tasty pasta dishes and a veal/meat/fish dish with some veggie too. Then help yourself to 3 far too nice puddings (I did) and even an ice-cream trolley on top.

After a hard day skiing eating so I couldn't move was just right.

The breakfast was also very good for energy, cereals, fruit, juices, croissants, cheese and meat with rolls, all self stuff! I only needed lunch twice and that was only though greed. For Neilson clients we even got tea and bickies at 4pm! I had expected to eat out once or twice but just couldn't find a menu I didn't like in the hotel so ate in every night.

The staff were all very efficient, polite, smiling and I only found one could be slightly offish at times (mainly when I wanted to refill a water bottle with tap water that she was adamant shouldn't be drunk) and found any problems previously mentioned by reviews last year totally unfounded, maybe staff moved on?

Overall I can recommend the hotel for budget conscious skiers who enjoy a good meal!

Room Tip: Go high up and get one where you can turn off the radiators!
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook
2  Thank The_Hooded_Claw

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Pleasant and well run hotel, very friendly and polite staff. Good area for ski storage and boot drying. Rooms cleaned well and regular towel change. Happy hour and complimentary afternoon tea were well received. meals were well presented and plenty to eat. Four courses and very often did not need a pudding. Would reccomend it.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We also stayed in January 2013 with Neilson, probably at the same time as the last reviewer but didn't notice any security problems.

The rooms were awfully hot. We were able to leave our window open all night as we were not on the ground floor, but if we had been forced to keep it closed it would have been unbearable. Suggest anyone staying there takes there own TRV top to close the radiator down! The beds are pretty uncomfortable too, the springs seem to be well worn and you end up with a big dip in the middle.

The bar was pretty awful, but the main part of town is only a short walk away ( admittedly up a steep hill ) so that should not be an issue. I am also vegetarian and had omelettes 2 nights out of the 6 and the hotel seemed completely unaware/unbothered that they had any vegetarians staying that week. I don't particularly blame the hotel for this as vegetarianism is rather an alien concept to a lot of italians, but it is ridiculous for Neilson to take a booking for a veggie (or anyone else with a special diet) without ensuring they can be adequately catered for. They need to audit the hotel properly, that is surely their responsibility.

Having said that, the rest of the food was superb. There is a great selection of antipasti laid out as a first course and some of the pasta starters were extremely good. The puddings were great with a choice of 3 or 4 every night. The breakfasts were also good with the normal array of juices(Italian style, not real), cereals, cheese, meat, boiled eggs, etc and....Twinings tea rather that that lipton stuff!!

The boot room was rather small for the number of guests and not well ventilated so the boots didn't try out. I ended up taking mine to the room.

The staff were mostly very friendly apart from one extremely miserable woman who ran the restaurant but the others made up for her.

One good thing about the hotel is that it is a reasonably short walk to the lifts - just as well really as the ski bus service is virtually non-existant

All in all not the worst ski hotel I have ever stayed in - but pretty close!! If you can, try to get into the du Col instead - that is an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: get a room with a view on the upper floors
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in January 2013 after booking with Neilson who were great, but I really question their judgement when sending anyone to a hotel like this.

The only positive is that the Biancaneve was clean.

My first concern here is one of security. We had a small amount of cash and a hat stolen. There is nowhere to store items safely and there were reports of minor thefts from several of the guests there. Other guests had food and money stolen as well. To me, this was no coincidence. One guest reported this to the hotel management and they were told they were imagining it. Thieving staff is not a good advert for this hotel.

We arrived and checked in and later that day asked the rep if we could move, the room we were allocated was next to the main road and underneath the boot room. Consequently the noise was unbearable. In addition to this, the window could have been opened from the outside by a child, it was totally unsecure. We changed rooms and then we were informed they wanted a €20 fee to move us!

All rooms were always unbearably hot, the bathroom and shower in our room were the smallest I have ever seen, the satellite TV is all Italian (if you can get it to work), you have to pay extra for wifi (which is free everywhere else in the resort). Even after paying for wifi it was so unreliable it was next to useless. The bar was poorly stocked and expensive. The food was very mediocre and they accepted a vegetarian booking then informed us they did nothing other than omelette. For one dinner my wife was served a plate of plain boiled pasta!!!

If you plan to book there don't, there are plenty of other better hotels in Sestriere which really is a fab resort but the Biancaneve is the worst hotel I have stayed in. I have stayed in better bunkhouses than this.

In summary this is a very poor hotel with very questionable security. If I was offered a return trip for free i would decline. I have provided feedback to Neilson about this but I will be taking this further.

Room Tip: Good tip for choosing a good room is to choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NickA1973
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We travelled with Neilson; firstly Neilson were excellent as we booked Bardonecchia but the snow conditions were poor so we were offered a last minute change to Sestriere free of charge. The downside was the only hotel with availability was Biancaneve. The reception process was efficient and the room was available on our early arrival. When we opened the door we thought there must have been a mistake; the furniture was the sort of thing your grandparents would have thrown out 40 years ago. Mish mash wooden and unkempt looking - nothing matched in the room and the lighting was bulkhead fittings like those found on an industrial park. A noteable exception - no smoke detector in the room - not acceptable. We asked to be relocated but were told no other rooms were available as the hotel was fully booked (so they said?). The food was hit and miss with the need to make your choice a day in advance. The dining room had a leaking roof however; our chairs were rearranged round the table and a towel left on the floor to catch the drips rather than us being moved? Most wines seemed to be out of stock due to 'end of season' - I think the food was the same - out of season and limited!
The heating was off in our room but it was unbearably hot, especially at night - even if we opened the window!
The staff did their best but I guess a 4-month season had taken its toll and they were a little tired and miserable to be honest.
The hotel needs an urgent refit; plumbing needs sorting out; from arrival the drains were over powering! We bought an air freshener from a local supermarket.
Sestriere is a great little resort for families and people looking for a modest destination; food and drink was fairly cheap - pizza slice and small beer from 2 Euro each for a lunchtime snack - not bad.
A plus was the efficent minibus to take you up the hill to the town which was free.
There is also an indoor/outdoor swimming pool which was fantastic if a little expensive at 12 Euro for adults and swimming hats compulsory - that said, swimming in warm water in freezing air surrounded by the Alps was an experience not to be missed.
If you ar going to Sestriere give this hotel a miss; plenty of other hotels in town that must be better than Biancaneve.

Room Tip: If you do go to this hotel make sure it's a room at the front facing the mountain and a balcony...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank 40somethingboy
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Booked a holiday with Neilson through the singles ski and board and using the forum booked a late holiday to Sestriere. I stayed in the hotel Biancha neve the food was spot on plenty of choice and there is a happy 2hours with free nibbles from 4.30 till 6.30. The rooms are cleaned daily with fresh towels we found the free ski bus a great bonus which shuttles round the resort every 15 mins in peak morning and afternoon lift times,the resort has a laid back feel with plenty of skiing throughout the resorts of the milky way with the olympico run in Sansicario being my top pick of the holiday

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe A
Reviewed February 22, 2012

This was a good hotel with spacious rooms.
The food was abundant, you will never go hungry.
The bar offers snacks with the afternoon drinks which easily entices you to remain in the comfort of the hotel rather than go searching for alternative bars.
Location wise, the hotel is a short 5 minute walk from the centre which is all up hill. However, there is a courtesy bus that runs during the day which certainly removes any effort involved with ski gear.
There are available courtesy ski hire 'lockers' (just off the slopes) which is terrifically helpful.
If I was to be hyper critical, the radiators in the room weren't adjustable and the room was stiffling on occasions. However, this wasn't anything that couldn't be solved by keeping the balcony doors open. The views from the balcony are spectacular.
However, on a negative note, due to problems that the staff were occasionally facing
with the odd idiot customer (let's face it, no hotel is immune to them), it was necessary for the hotel to lock our corridor door at night time. This did concern me should the unlikely event of a fire arise (I know we have our balconies).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family