“Grangesises - the former Winter Olympics atheletes' residences etc.”

Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Sestriere
Guildford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Grangesises - the former Winter Olympics atheletes' residences etc.”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I and my then current girlfriend spent a very satisfying and marvellously varied two weeks, housed in one of the apartments only some of which are rented out in this beautiful location with totally awe-inspiring views across the valley.

I was there predominantly for the skiing, but there are nature walks in the area, which my girlfriend enjoyed, and a regular bus service up to the main ski resort of Sestriere and, I believe, down into the valley. We were in my car, so I can't explain that in more detail.

There are good restaurants (we sampled "La Cioca"), a hotel and a local bar/convenience store within the complex, so your options are good and varied no matter your means of travel.

Sestriere forms part of the chain of cross-border Italian and French ski resorts called, in various languages, "The Milky Way", "La Via Lattea" and "La Voie Laiteuse". So, your skiing options are also many and varied.

Oh, and if you're quiet and in one of the lower apartments with balcony views of the slope below the complex, you may see deer, fawns and rabbits etc. foraging for food. There can also be flocks of crows or ravens that also pass by 'stunting' and generally making a racket, but the locales is generally extremely quiet and peaceful. This location is a veritable balm for the soul.

Is this enough to convince you? I'll upload some of my pictures if/when I can.

I've been constrained to 'claim' my visit was in 2012 when in fact it was 2010. If my then current GF had been easier to live with, I would have revisited with her each winter, and possibly both before and after the Christmas/New Year period, I was so enchanted by my accidental discovery.

"Enjoy yourself; it's later than you think." Tim Clarke