“A Hotel with some Character”
Review of Grande Albergo

Grande Albergo
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Sestri Levante
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here for a week and were really pleased given some of the other reviews we read beforehand. The reception staff were helpful/friendly, the room was great (no seaview but then we weren't expecting one), the bathroom had everything we needed and the breakfast was an adequate start to the day.

The hotel's location is ideal - close to the promenade and the town centre and the public rooms were very comfortable.

Some of the lower-floor occupants complained about early morning street noise and late night disturbance from the function suite but - on the 4th floor - we were completely unaffected.

A couple of quirks: Our wardrobe contained a large collection of empty plastic bottles (which was even larger by the time we left!) and the wifi didn't seem to have much range. Neither of these detracted from the enjoyment of our stay.

Room Tip: Surprisingly, I would avoid the lower floors, particularly at the front. (see above).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ardgay

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Grand Albergo is situated in a prime position on the sea-front road in Sestri Levante. Check-in was swift and efficient, and the pleasantness and efficiency of the reception staff was a feature throughout our stay.
Our room was small but adequate with a pleasant balcony. There were some surprising omissions. There was no in-room guide to the room itself or the hotel. There was a small piece of paper stuck near the telephone with some extension numbers and a few television channels, but this in no way compensated for the absence of the more comprehensive guide which has been a standard feature of hotel rooms for many years.The other unexpected omission was the absence of any facial tissues/paper hankies in the room or bathroom, again a standard provision for many years. The bedroom was air-conditioned, but the air-conditioning unit itself was extremely noisy. After two nights of very disturbed sleep we discovered how to turn it off - I'm sure the non-existant room guide would have told us this.
The bathroom was a problem. It was very compact with little space for toiletries etc. The shower cubicle was quite small, and this exacerbated the major problem with the shower, the complete lack of stability of the temperature. This would vary at random from cold to dangerously hot, and the small size of the cubicle made it difficult to avoid. This is a major problem because of the safety implications. The step down from the shower was also quite high and there was a significant possibility of slipping.
The breakfast was of average quality, but sitting in the outside part of the restaurant made it a pleasure. Unfortunately although breakfast was scheduled to start at 07.30 the restaurant was only partially set up at that time and attempting to go outside was rebuffed quite rudely.
In contrast the service in the bar was always friendly and excellent, and the prices were reasonable.
Overall this has the potential to be a good hotel but its drawbacks are very obvious at present.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed with our three teenage boys for three nights. I really agonized over where to stay on the Ligurian coast. I made a good choice with this hotel in this town. The staff were kind and very patient with all of our questions. In particular, a young man with a nice beard, I think his name was Andrea, spent quite a bit of time arranging a morning of mountain biking for two sons in Porto Fino. Roof top pool was clean if a bit shallow for teens. A very happy man takes care of the bar up there. Hobiecat rental is right out front. Hotel suggestion to eat at Don Luigi was great. Our room, with a "lateral" view had enough of a view to be quite pleasing. Hotel is nice, breakfast was good in a nice garden. I also liked that Sestri Levante as it was not too small of a place with an easy train to the Cinque Terra.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephanie D
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Feels like an old hotel that has been done up, approx 20years ago, rooms were clean but tired. It might have been 4 stars years ago, but now had lost a star!!. We went there the last week of May, and the swimming pool was closed, did not open until the 1st of June, the day we were leaving. It did have a good view of Sestri.

Room Tip: We had a dual aspect room on the first floor, which was reasonable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have been so many times in Sestri Levante and slept in lots of Hotels.
At the end of the day I decided this is the best place. The rooms are nice, the staff very friendly and the location is simply strategic...facing the sea, 20 meter from the carrugio and close to the station. You do not really need to bring your car if you sleep here.
And, last but not least, the prices are good compared to the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here recently.

The place I originally booked, which was expensive, was a total let down and i was looking for somewhere, desperately, when I stumbled upon the Grande Albergo. Its position and facade made me think it would be more expensive than the place I was at. It was a pleasant surprise to find they had a room to accomodate me and at a much cheaper rate. Great! I changed hotels and my holiday just went from bad to better and better.

The staff here were unbelieveably helpful, friendly and accommodating. My room was very comfortable, well appointed, lovely little balcony overlooking the park. Breakfast was great with a good assortment of food. The roof top pool was an oasis with magnificent views of the sea and the town. The complimentary bikes were a great way to get out and explore this wonderful little village. (What a magnificent building the police station is) The train station was great and staff there helpful with train tickets and info etc.

I would like to think I will visit Sestri Lavante again and if I do I will be sure to stay at the Grande Albergo, thank you for saving my holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
grandealbergo, Direttore at Grande Albergo, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Wendy W,

thank you for your wonderful review.
I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay. I hope to see you again next year.
Best regards

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Not exactly grandiose as its name would suggest, just big... The building is nice and quite imposing, but its lobby is very very small. The check in process was slow and not that professional but staff made it up during check out in which they were pretty helpful with infos on trains and transport. The room I was given is minuscule, with no view at all and the shower did not work properly. Breakfast... closes at 10 AM, which is VERY early for a weekend / holiday place and I had no chances to try it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo