The Grand Albergo is situated in a prime position on the sea-front road in Sestri Levante. Check-in was swift and efficient, and the pleasantness and efficiency of the reception staff was a feature throughout our stay.
Our room was small but adequate with a pleasant balcony. There were some surprising omissions. There was no in-room guide to the room itself or the hotel. There was a small piece of paper stuck near the telephone with some extension numbers and a few television channels, but this in no way compensated for the absence of the more comprehensive guide which has been a standard feature of hotel rooms for many years.The other unexpected omission was the absence of any facial tissues/paper hankies in the room or bathroom, again a standard provision for many years. The bedroom was air-conditioned, but the air-conditioning unit itself was extremely noisy. After two nights of very disturbed sleep we discovered how to turn it off - I'm sure the non-existant room guide would have told us this.
The bathroom was a problem. It was very compact with little space for toiletries etc. The shower cubicle was quite small, and this exacerbated the major problem with the shower, the complete lack of stability of the temperature. This would vary at random from cold to dangerously hot, and the small size of the cubicle made it difficult to avoid. This is a major problem because of the safety implications. The step down from the shower was also quite high and there was a significant possibility of slipping.
The breakfast was of average quality, but sitting in the outside part of the restaurant made it a pleasure. Unfortunately although breakfast was scheduled to start at 07.30 the restaurant was only partially set up at that time and attempting to go outside was rebuffed quite rudely.
In contrast the service in the bar was always friendly and excellent, and the prices were reasonable.
Overall this has the potential to be a good hotel but its drawbacks are very obvious at present.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Grand Albergo Hotel! Overlooking the sea promenade of Sestri Levante, The Grande Albergo is now a landmark in tourism and the Gulf of Tigullio. Completely renovated in 2003, this late '19th Century historic building, has 70 rooms including 4 junior suites, all equipped with modern amenities such as internet Wi-Fi. A great base to discover the most striking places of Liguria, such as the beautiful Cinque Terre and the timeless Portofino, The Grande Albergo offers the resources to spend a relaxing holiday, whether enjoying cocktails from the panoramic swimming pool, located on the roof of the building, or simply from the balcony of one's room. The different types of rooms, from sea view to overlooking the peaceful garden, will satisfy all types of requests and our staff will be only too happy to liase and organize all the extra activities available, such as cultural visits, excursions and sports. Don't hesitate to book your holiday now! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grande Albergo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Albergo Sestri Levante Hotel Sestri Levante
- Grande Albergo Hotel Sestri Levante
- Sestri Levante Grande Albergo