We stayed here in mid September as part of a large group consisting of mainly Brits who had travelled to Italy by train and were using Sestri Levante as the base for touring around this beautiful area. I was a bit unsure as I had read earlier reports about possible problems regarding mosquitoes ( a very real problem for me) and therefore had picked up other ‘vibes’. However, it just shows you what different experiences other travellers have because if you read the two latest reviews they couldn’t be more different. I can only think there were different staff members when ‘Ian D’ stayed and he encountered helpful reception staff and excellent breakfasts. Our experience was much more in line with ‘Arthur NE England’ especially his comment about the staff being “offhand and miserable”.
Our experience on the whole was not good. The hotel is in a good position, but as others have reported there is some standing water close to one side of the hotel and several of the party reported being bitten by mosquitoes in their room. We ensured the windows were kept closed and used the air conditioning to keep cool – so don’t pay extra for a balcony if this is a concern for you – it just wouldn’t be worth it as you won’t want to open the windows let alone sit on a balcony. I was very, very careful and have still come home with three very bad bites.
The staff seemed in general very surly and unhelpful & unhappy with their lot. We rarely got any greeting or even eye contact with the reception staff and I am always ready with a greeting making a point of learning a few basic phrases even if I can’t speak the language fluently. The breakfast staff in particular were un smiling and quite miserable. On one occasion (when we had been there for almost a week) I actually overheard some of the waiters in the kitchen out of sight (but not earshot) mocking us by taking off our British greeting…… “Good morning. How are you?” in a very mocking way. This was followed by laughter. How very hurtful and unprofessional.
Many of the amenities were not available to us – e.g. we asked if we could relax by sitting in the hotel garden and have a coffee, but no it was “unavailable”. The hotel website shows a lovely photo of the tables out there set for a meal – we were not allowed in. In fact there was no way to get a cup of coffee or any other refreshment in the daytime. The bar tender (who was very pleasant)seemed to open the bar some nights but not others and there was no service on at least two evenings & the bar remained shut. The swimming pool attendant’s hours were erratic so we couldn’t get towels (which were chargeable too) or a drink while “relaxing on the roof terrace”. On the only occasion we did get a cappuccino – it was cold.
I must mention the maid service though – the room was kept spotlessly clean and all the ladies we saw responded with a friendly smile to our greetings.
The owners would do well to take on board what the reviewer says about the need to look at what they are offering and at what price. They might well find themselves out of business otherwise and I would not stay there again or feel I could recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Grand Albergo Hotel! Overlooking the sea promenade of Sestri Levante, The Grande Albergo is now a landmark in tourism and the Gulf of Tigullio. Completely renovated in 2003, this late '19th Century historic building, has 70 rooms including 4 junior suites, all equipped with modern amenities such as internet Wi-Fi. A great base to discover the most striking places of Liguria, such as the beautiful Cinque Terre and the timeless Portofino, The Grande Albergo offers the resources to spend a relaxing holiday, whether enjoying cocktails from the panoramic swimming pool, located on the roof of the building, or simply from the balcony of one's room. The different types of rooms, from sea view to overlooking the peaceful garden, will satisfy all types of requests and our staff will be only too happy to liase and organize all the extra activities available, such as cultural visits, excursions and sports. Don't hesitate to book your holiday now! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grande Albergo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Albergo Sestri Levante Hotel Sestri Levante
- Grande Albergo Hotel Sestri Levante
- Sestri Levante Grande Albergo