“Rooms need a overhaul!”

Millcroft Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We just came back the Millcroft Inn, The rooms to me were not very Romantic, was wanting some alone time with the hubby. I was very disappointed at the quality of the Rooms,compared to other Vintages Inn. The comforter had Stains on it which is a big turn off, the rooms have a old musty smell to them. It was not a place I was wanted to hurry up and take my clothes off and relax in bed. I would not reccomend this place for younger couples at all, I would have much rather the hotel or Inns along Niagara on the lake.
I have to say the food was amazingand the service as well. I would go for a very good meal in there Restaurant, and the staff is very attentive. The Spa looks nice and seems clean. I have also been to the Old MIll in Toronto and there is absolutely no comparasion to the rooms, The room at the Old Mill are superior and I go ther almost once a year.
Sorry Millcroft, until you upgrade the rooms I will not plan on speding any night s there :(

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank soddi
MillcroftInn, General Manager at Millcroft Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

Dear soddi, Thank you for sharing your experience at Millcroft Inn & Spa. We take your comments and recommendations seriously and value the feedback. The concerns regarding your room have been addressed. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your dining experience. Certainly our food service and culinary team takes immense pride in providing memorable dining experiences for our guests. Hopefully in the near future, you will join us for another stay at Millcroft Inn & Spa. Sincerely, Steve Yates, General Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2010

We received a rate with basic room, dinner, breakfast included approx. $375 . Here are pros/cons:

Pros:
1. Relaxing location
2. 1 hour from Toronto
3. Bikes, spa, pool, workout room onsite
4. I think they had WIFI but we did not use it
5. Seemed very clean
6. Really good granola bars in spa (I don't normally list snacks but hey they were great. should sell onsite)

Cons:
1. Spa treatment average at best on the day we went
2. Check in not great (no smiles, no orientation to property, did not feel welcome,etc)
3. Check out computers not working
4. Dinner - waited 20 min to get a water and cocktail. Food was soaking in oil and lacking taste. Dessert looked plastic (do not order the baked apple ... like baby food)
5. Walls as thin as paper- seriously, we could hear everything in the next room.
6. They need to upgrade the bed sheets they are using. Not soft! Room was dry, hard to sleep.

Spent $600 in 24 hours. Not enjoyable and service can be improved, both at front desk and restaurant. It is too bad, as this place really has potential!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JillJ77
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Second stay. Remain unimpressed.
- requested a quiet Croft Cottage. Was given the one in front of the machinery room...
- cottage was stuffy and had not been aired.
- cobwebs and pine needles all over the outside sitting area
- no slippers, no robe
- no orientation when you check in (did not know there were tennis courts, was not offered a map of the grounds until I asked)
- wi fi signal too weak to be used
- was told at time of booking that "as long as I sit down at 10:30am it's fine". That's what I did but the buffet was being taken down. My boyfriend had grabbed a plate for me thankfully. At 11:00 we were told to move away to the lounge as "the tables had to be readied for lunch" and junior staff started vacuuming around us.
- lawn work (big John Deere, smaller gas powered mower) was being done on the Sunday of the first long week end of the season... Could it not have been done er, before guests arrive. We don't pay $300 for a pimped up motel room and poor service to be Lulled all day bu the sound of a John Deere. REALLY. Surprisingly what we want is silence and the chirping of the birds. I know...weird...
We opted for the Millcroft because it's close. Will not go back: too expensive for quality of food and service.
Ste Anne it will be next time...

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Salelle
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Stayed at the Millcroft Inn for a weekend getaway. We really enjoyed our stay. The service at the spa was great and dinner at the restuarant was fantastic.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NKLounger
Reviewed December 20, 2009

It is a lovely Inn, especially the dining area and surrounding trails. The food was decent and the customer service was good as well. My only issues, was the quality of the rooms seemed low. They seemed a worn and overdone as well.

I would go back, but only under a special deal as for the quality of room it doesn't seem worth it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jewel_leaf
Reviewed December 14, 2009

One trip to the Millcroft Inn & Spa, and all your senses suddenly leave the world behind. As a business profession and writer, I can not think of a better place anywhere to create and innovate in a perfect environment of relaxation and privacy. An absolutely amazing property and now part of the classic Vintage Hotel group!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank BusinessCoach
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Just returned from a one night stay at the Millcroft. From reading the reviews I tried to keep my expectations low as some reviews were not good, but we really needed a short break and the Inn looked promising. The Millcroft completely exceeded my expectations. We booked the For couples only package which included a night stay, three course dinner and breakfast. Definitely book a package if you were planning to have dinner in the restaurant. It is much cheaper then a la carte. We booked a croft room which pretty much felt like our own private cabin. Everything was very clean and the room had a fireplace which was amazing. The package also included a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries. We received a bottle of 2007 Inniskillin Pinot Noir which was very nice. There was also complimentary bottles of water and handy firestarter logs. The bedroom was upstairs. All very nice and cozy.

Dinner was spectacular. One of the nicest dinners I’ve ever had. I don’t get why people were complaining about dinner. I’m not a fussy eater but I know good food and the Millcroft has it. With our package we could pick any appetizer, main course and dessert from the menu. Usually prix-fixe meals are not so flexible so I was pleasantly surprised. Though I did have the cob salad for my starter and I wasn’t nuts about it. Very plain so such a nice place. But my boyfriend had foie gras which was delicious. The soup and simple salad appetizers also looked good. And my main course of beef tenderloin and dessert of broken down pumpkin tart more then made up for my appetizer. Ask for a table in the glass room before they seat you which overlooks the waterfall. We weren’t lucky enough to get a table there but doesn’t hurt to try. The continental breakfast was very nice too. With a selection of breads, pastries, smoked salmon, ham, cheeses and fruit.

Service from every employee we encountered was warm, helpful and friendly. They really made you feel welcome and appreciated. As well the grounds are and beautiful, cozy and rustic. Especially nice at night time as they has Christmas lights up. The spa was very nice too. We booked massages. The lounge area of the spa was very relaxing and the hot tub and pool area are in a nice open room which overlooks the forest.

We had an amazing time here and would definitely return. It’s only a 45 minute drive from Toronto but it felt like a world away. If you’re looking for a romantic getaway this is the place. Also check out the art studios in the renovated rubber mill closeby.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank unplainjane
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Bramalea
Monte Carlo Inn - Brampton Suites
Forks of the Credit Inn
#1 of 6 in Caledon

Been to Millcroft Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!