“great place for a Fall getaway”

Millcroft Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The weather was fantastic. We took our bikes to ride in Caledon on the trails, and stayed at the Inn two nights. We had room 305 in the main mill, and it was lovely ....right down to the beautiful rose on the pillow at night. We ate a gourmet dinner two nights and had the breakfast buffet one morning. Everything was great. The young people who were waiting tables were so professional and catered to our every request. One night my dinner was not up to par ....they not only brought me something else, but it was "on the house". We would recommend this for a fall getaway. We did not use the pool or the spa, but they looked very nice.

Room Tip: Staying in the main mill was very convenient, as that is the location of the restaurant where breakf...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DEBBIE51

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at Millcroft Inn. Last Thanksgiving (2012) was an enjoyable one night stay, but I did complain that there was no heat in the Croft Room the evening of my stay. It was a cold weekend, so was not that enjoyable. Nothing could be done for me that evening, but I was later given a promise of an upgrade for my next visit. I tried to use this upgrade this past weekend, but they were completely booked, so I will try to redeem it another time (the manager assured me it has no expiry). Upon check-in, I was told I could choose between two rooms, 207 or 210 in the main Mill building. Room 207 had a view of the waterfall, but the room and bathroom are very small and bedroom was rather average looking. I chose Room 210, which had a larger bathroom and 4 poster double bed (not a Queen). This was a mistake, as the room must be located over the dining room and/or kitchen; there was a substantial amount of dull banging and thumping off and on all night long. It was also situated near the main entrance, so guests can be overheard coming and going. In the early hours of the morning, rain began dripping on a tin roof near-by, also making it difficult to sleep. The upper wiindow was also broken so could not be shut...once again,another rather chilly evening this year. The amenities in the room are sufficient, but nothing too out of the ordinary compared to other Ontario Finest Inns that I have visited. The TV is so small and looked out of place in a room with such high ceilings. The oversize fluffy towels are a welcome change, I might add. All resort staff, including the dining room staff are very pleasant and helpful. Dinner was very good at the Headwaters Dining Room, although there were a few blunders; my friend ordered beef tenderloin, medium-well done, but arrived less cooked than expected; our waiter apologized and admitted to making a mistake when placing the order with the Chef. it was taken back to the kitchen to be cooked properly. Meanwhile, my dinner (halibut) was nearly finished, by the time my friend's dinner arrived back on the table. Service was a little slow and tedious, as we had to ask for such things as condiments and water, the waiter offered no explaination of the menu selections, I had to ask what some fancy descriptive terms were. Special after dinner coffee (gran marnier) came with salt on the rim instead of sugar. Once again, waiter apologized for a mistake behind the bar. We were given another proper one and were not charged for the first one. Breakfast selection was great, although we were left to find a vacant table on our own, having seemingly been forgotten by the waitress upon our arrival. Overall, the grounds are peaceful and serene, rooms acceptable and dining is very good; however, I was just a "little disappointed" with my overall stay again this year and hoping my review will bring about some easy improvements to make future stays for myself and others much more enjoyable. It is an expensive resort, so one would expect above average accommodations and service. I would recommend it to others, albeit with some reservations and helpful tips to guide them.

Room Tip: Try to get a croft room away from the spa and laundry area. Do not book Rm 210 or any room in the N...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank lgreswell
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We spent a weekend at the resort and spa with the hope of relaxing and reconnecting. We figured the quaint setting would be what we needed. Boy were we wrong! The room we had barely held the queen size bed, the washroom was so small that after a shower I had to dry myself off in the main room. The hair drier kept overheating and shutting off. The toilet flush took did not work, I had to wiggle the handle to make it stop.

As fir the grounds; the mill wheel is fun to sit, if there was a place to sit, and watch the water flow. This area needs to be cleaned up and promoted more. A couple days earlier canoeists got caught up in the current and went of the edge. They were seriously injured and hospitalized. Safety needs to be stepped up.

My wife had facial in the spa. The experience was more of a mechanical and factory experience and needs to improve. The facial did put my wife in the mood to sleep all day. That was ok, since there us nothing else to do there.

The hidden gem in the resort are the gardens near the resort's entrance. They were surprisingly well maintained and worth a visit.

We had the breakfast buffet one morning and it was satisfying. Lots of variety and the hot food was hot. Take your time and eat as much as you can then go back to the room to sleep as there is nothing else to do at the resort.

Would I return...naw! There are better places to go with more to do.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kungboy
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Well, we went for a wedding.Friday. Very difficult signage coming into the place.Felt lucky to arrive. stayed over. Beautiful place.Room was overlooking the waterfall.
A musty smell wouldn;t go away. No ice machine on our floor. or anywhere I could find. Bathroom was clean and nice, Bed was fine. Old ,quaint look.Went to the gym, sparse but had a couple of machines. Pool was covered. Nice grounds , not much to do except enjoy nature. It was priced at the very top end of the scale.Lovely weeding, lovely day. Wouldn't return for a weekend though.

Room Tip: Look for balcony overlooking the waterfall
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank M Z
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My daughter and I have just spent a night at this fine Inn. We truly enjoyed the setting and the atmosphere. When we arrived our room was ready to start enjoying the beautiful surroundings of the grounds. We stayed in the original house that had a large veranda off of our room where we enjoyed watching a wedding party having a great time. The room was very well appointed. We enjoyed dinner in the restaurant which was excellent. The next day we walked a short path and realized we did not have the proper shoes to do any of the other hiking paths...we will know better next time. The spa treatments were exceptional we both felt like Queens. I would recommend this Inn to anyone who likes quiet and elegant surroundings.

Room Tip: The room we had was great, but we could hear the people above us. Next time we will try the Croft s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had the pleasure to spend two amazing days at the Millcroft Inn & Spa with my girlfriend. The experience was simply spectacular. Unlike other places, the pictures you see on their website is exactly what you get from the Inn grounds to the dining to the accommodations. Staff was very friendly and courteous. The food was delicious and the servers were very attentive and professional. The full breakfast buffet is one of the best and certainly you wont need lunch afterwards. I had booked a spa session for my girlfriend and she absolutely loved it. In fact, it was so relaxing that she almost fell asleep on the massage bed. Overall, a very relaxing and peaceful experience. There are certainly places that are less expensive but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank satchmo0575
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My mother, sister and I stayed at the Millcroft Inn and Spa. We stayed in the Crofts which was a short alking distance to the Spa where we spent much of our time. I loved the setting, dinner at the restaurant was tasty and unique. We all enjoyed our stay and wish we could have had more time to spend walking the trails etc. I could see how this Inn and Spa would be lovely all year round! Thank you for such pleasant and professional service.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank KnicB123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Hockley Valley Resort
Best Western Plus Orangeville Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Bolton
Forks of the Credit Inn
Forks of the Credit Inn
#1 of 6 in Caledon
Molly's Retreat B and B
Devonshire Guest House & Spa

Been to Millcroft Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!