“Small slice of paradise so close to home...”

Millcroft Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had the distinct pleasure of spending our wedding anniversary (1 night) at Millcroft Inn & Spa and had a fabulous time. Checking inn was a pleasurable experience as you got a sense of old world and small town charm. We stayed in a Croft room and it was spotlessly clean and well furnished. The best way to describe them is they are very similar to a ski loft (2 floors, the upper where the bed is located). Loved the heated floors in the bathroom. We had two fantastic meals (dinner & breakfast buffet). The dinner was flawlessly executed both meal and service wise. Ask for seating in the pod as it's got a fantastic/romantic view of the mill and waterfalls. We also had a his & hers massage at the spa. We could have spent the whole day there. The grounds are sprawling and impressive how well manicured they are,All in all a great stay and would highly recommend it to anyone. We'll definitely be going back soon.

Room Tip: Croft rooms are large and 2 levels.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Walking in to check-in the lobby has a very musty smell. We stayed two nights (Sunday to Tuesday) in the Croft Rooms which are in need of an update! They felt dark and gloomy and the furniture needs replacing. The bathroom is too far away from the upstairs loft style bedroom & navigating the stairs in the middle of the night can be precarious. Our room #113 was outside the spa laundry facility and we were greeted to the smell of gas from what we assumed was the dryers each morning.
Our maid service showed up the first morning at 8:54am!!?? I had to run down the stairs to stop her from entering our room. If check out is at 11am, shouldn't the maid service show up after 11am? The next night we placed a do not disturb sign on the door which worked!
Had a 3 course dinner our first night, overlooking the falls which unfortunately ended with a hair being found in my husband's desert! We didn't make a huge deal about it. The situation was dealt with by a quite embarrassed waiter to which we received a complimentary breakfast the next morning...didn't find anymore hairs!!
We did some spa treatments which were wonderful and the Staff was very professional. My massage was in vain, as the uncomfortable bed gave me a sore back the next day.
We have stayed at Millcroft numerous times and this experience was quite different from previous stays! So let down based on the money that was spent. It just felt like one thing after another!!! Time to experience other places I'm afraid, as we don't feel we are getting our monies worth and time enjoyment anymore from Millcroft.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank T00TS905
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I were at Millcroft Inn for our anniversary weekend. Cool rustic place, lots of garden areas and a nice view of the mill. Saturday morning we were the first to arrive at the restaurant for breakfast buffet and we were sitted at the best spot. We ate or breakfast leisurely and enjoyed the view looking down at the top of the mill. Spa facility was great. Staff were courteous.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Recently my two daughters and I celebrated Mother's Day together with an overnight stay at the Millcroft Inn and Spa. We have had the opportunity to stay at many places in many countries and, honestly, we discovered that Millcroft was a little bit of paradise.

Accommodations, staff & service, meals and our spa experience all rate five shining stars.

The quality of our evening dinner sitting in the pod overlooking the falls as well as our room service for breakfast and lunch in the spa was excellent.

The spa was architecturally lovely, the attending personnel were gracious, friendly and professional and the indoor and outdoor pools were kept in pristine condition; seating areas inside and out were welcoming and relaxing.

I have already recommended the Millcroft Inn and Spa to friends and I plan to return. I would stay at the Crofts again as well. These two story units sit next to the river with small outdoor patios and are located right beside the pools and spa.

One detail, though, is that the Crofts only have queen beds (one per unit), with a fairly uncomfortable pull out couch on the main floor. Really these units are ideal for one woman or a couple not used to a king bed. My daughters shared one Croft unit and I had one to myself which is the ideal scenario. Also the Crofts are a bit worn in appearance but the beds, duvets and baths have all been updated and are excellent.

Although we stayed for just one night, my daughters and I truly felt as if we had been away on a little holiday. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Stay in the Crofts if you want proximity to pools and spa. Beds are queen.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We held our annual business off-site at the Millcroft, and so when I was given a gift card for Millcroft by my very generous boss, I was so excited to return in a more romantic frame of mind. My partner and enjoyed enjoyed every moment of our stay... Everything is so beautiful - the grounds, the neighboring village and countryside, the drive, the buildings - everything. We selected one of the newly renovated, contemporary Croft rooms because of the back patio, and wood-burning fire place; now I'll just have to come back to try one of the romantic Victorian style rooms! The attention to detail was amazing - nothing out of place, and everthing exactly as you'd hope it to be. We felt so spoiled and pampered, in our room and at the spa; everyone was so friendly, professional and attentive, without any hautiness that sometimes comes with a high end stay.
We ordered the romance package - a bottle of sparkling wine, a platter of cheeses, and chocolate dipped strawberries - and I have to say we were like children with our little gourmet room picnic! Delicious! Breakfast the next morning was equally tasty and impressive, and the coffee was fantastic.

The only disappointing thing I have to say about our stay was that it just wasn't long enough!

Room Tip: If you enjoy contemporary decor, go with a Croft room; if your tastes lean more towards romantic, ru...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked a last minute long weekend getaway to do some cycling in the area. So glad I chose Millcroft Inn. Everything about the place is really excellent. The room was very comfortable, lots of complimentary bottles of water which I needed after hard cycling, great restaurant with excellent food and very attentive staff. Totally recommend it

Room Tip: Stay in the main block if you can
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Colin S
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I would like to take this opportunity and thank the Millcroft Inn & Spa for an excellent Stay. I stayed 2 days at this property during a recent meeting at Orangeville and was swept away with the level of service delivered. The front desk manager offered to take me to the meeting at the Best Western Orangeville for my meeting and offered to pick me up after the meeting. The distance is about 15 to 20 minutes away and for them to do that was wonderful. The entire compound is great and wish I had brought my wife. Thank you very much and keep up the good work.

Room Tip: choose a room over looking the waterfall.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Hockley Valley Resort
Best Western Plus Orangeville Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Bolton
Forks of the Credit Inn
Forks of the Credit Inn
#1 of 6 in Caledon
Devonshire Guest House & Spa
Molly's Retreat B and B

Been to Millcroft Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!