“Lovely dinner and room, inn staff need some polish”

Millcroft Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alton
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely dinner and room, inn staff need some polish”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I booked a croft room to celebrate our anniversary. The room was lovely, very quiet and comfortable. It was a little hot all night, and I had to leave the window open beside the bed, but otherwise we really enjoyed the room. It's a townhouse arrangement with the bathroom on the first floor and the bed in a loft above, but still very comfortable. Spotless and thoughtful touches, too (lots of firewood, corkscrew, wine glasses). Unfortunately, the pool was drained and is only open in the warmer weather, but the sauna was available. We didn't have any spa treatments, but did a little hiking. The grounds of the inn are very pleasant, the sound of the river and waterfall really wonderful. Dinner was excellent, and the wait staff in the restaurant and bar were great. Very friendly and attentive.

Our only complaint would be the dumb check in, and snarky attitude of some of the staff in the main part of the inn. We arrived just before 4pm, but were told we couldn't check in until 4. It seemed silly, and the check in clerk had no suggestion as to what we were supposed to do while waiting. We ended up sitting in the cramped waiting area by the service bar and purchasing two pricey glasses of wine we didn't really want, and then having to line up to check in with everyone else at the stroke of 4.

When we asked about dinner, we learned that we needed a reservation (even though we had a purchased a package). The maitre' d was a rude, self-important woman at a podium in the completely empty restaurant. She made a face and told us she had no tables available until " at least 7:30." I was aggravated, and let her know that we would prefer to eat earlier. She changed her tune on a dime - it was totally weird, "Well what time do you want? I can put you in at 6, 6:30..." It made absolutely no sense. When we arrived for our table at 6:30 there were only one or two other tables occupied in the whole restaurant, and over the next hour or so people drifted in. She had plenty of space before 7:30. It was some dumb ruse to keep the dining room busy later, I guess. I heard her giving another couple this same stupid treatment when we were checking in.

In spite of this fluff up, we had a good time, and I would go back to this place in the warmer weather so I could use the pool. Breakfast was buffet style, but nice enough, and we were able to get one of the few coveted tables that overlook the river. That was especially nice.

Room Tip: Bring hiking shoes.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Me and my husband had a wonderful time at the Millcroft Inn. Beautiful hotel and grounds. We really enjoyed the fireplace in our room, it made our weekend very special. We stayed at the perfect time to enjoy the leaves change. The hiking was wonderful!

• Stayed October 2012
Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here 3 times and have enjoyed each visit. We stayed in the croft room and have been very pleased with the accomodations. The room is warm and comforting and the bed is very comfortable. The only issue I had was the menu. Our visit was in October, yet the food did not reflect the season. Serving asparagus and peas should be on the spring menu not fall. Any chef worth their money would change their menu items each season. There is great produce to be had this time of the year however the kitchen didn't utilize it which surprises me considering the prices that are charged. Also the service was mixed. The first night we ate there our waiter seemed disinterested in serving us. On the second night our server was very pleasant and helpful. The Inn certainly deserves a better rating than the restaurant.

1 Thank toolgirl
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I recently received a gift certificate to the Millcroft Inn for an overnight stay.

We are a mature couple and throughly enjoyed the the Millcroft Inn.

The food was excellent. Excellent chef. Staff very friendly and attentive. Rooms spotless.
We took advantage of all the facitlities they have and we enjoyed it all.

We do not hestitate in recommending this lovely place and will definitely go back.

We would rate this place a 10.
Thank you Millcroft for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the loft room. It had a fireplace and was lovely.
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My father booked this weekend vacation for my birthday at the Millcroft Inn he had requested when he booked the room if we would be able to check inn early the response was" of course no problem!"
So when i got there the girl at the front desk said they were full and we would have to wait till 4:00 and we arrived ther at 1:00 seeing the dissappointment in my face the girl at the front desk pretented to care just to shut me up because i was complaining and asked for our cell number if the room was ready any earlier of course she did not call and we waited three hours for our crappy room, i will get to that later! So my husband and myself decided to kill time in there over priced resturant the service was nice but the food did not justify the price! The lunch menu only had four selections and nothing under $22.00 and the was not creative they seem to like sweet corn and asparagus on every dish they have no complements to the chef for creativety! So after we had our $114.00 doaller lunch we went in there tiny bar area where there was no were to sit and you felt squashed it was pathetic. At this point im thinking the room better be wrth the wait but to no suprise the room looked like a motel room and had a musty smell . I was extremley dissappointed if i booked this place i would of asked for a full refund because it certianly did not justify the price at all! Seeing on how it was a gift from my father i had to stick throurgh. I had the worst and most uncomfortable sleep this place was not relaxing by far it was discouraging and depressing! It is a very glummy and stuffy place no creativity what so ever! I feel terrible that my father spent over $500.00 for one night at this crap hole! I felt like i was in a prison with crappy food and crappy discusting room ! I will never come back here again nor will i ever recommend this place to anyone! Please stick to the Pillar and Post people at least you will get what you paid for, this place is a dive i felt like i was in a prison!

Room Tip: no good rooms unless you like stayng in old musty hotels!
5 Thank 325ant
Mississauga, Ontario
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My six girlfriends and I went away for a day at the spa and a night away from hectic family life. What an amazing place to do some pampering. The spa is beautiful and has recently been updated and redecorated. The staff are simply wonderful; helpful, attentive and very professional with their work. Everyone left with nothing but rave reviews of their treatments. We then gathered in the lounge for pre-dinner drinks. What a pretty place. The dining room is lovely but the food is even better. The staff are amazing, Robynn was so knowledgeable about our wine choices and it was fun to interact with her. We stayed in the Croft rooms and were very comfortable. The woodburning fireplace was a special feature. Everything was spot on. I would highly recommend this as a place to go with friends or spouses. In fact, I can't wait to go back with my husband.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
toronto
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We just had a wonderful girls trip to the Millcroft Inn ... a very full day at the spa, and then a wonderful dinner with a menu set specially for us by the chef. Service at both spa and dinner was outstanding, and the food, simply divine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ankem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Hockley Valley Resort
Best Western Plus Fergus Hotel
Forks of the Credit Inn
Forks of the Credit Inn
#1 of 6 in Caledon

Been to Millcroft Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!