“The Worst Customer Experience I Have Ever Had In A Restaurant...wish I could rate the food but never had a chance to eat!”

Rays 3rd Generation Bistro Bakery
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Alton
Cuisines: American, Canadian, International
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Ray's is a very small restaurant in a very small town in the country. I had been to Rays for dinner previously and the food was fantastic! Decided to take a 2 of my friends there for lunch on a Saturday afternoon, as we were in the area, hungry, and wanted them to experience the food that I had previously. Needless to say I was doing a lot of "pre-bragging." When we entered the restaurant the smell of the food was absolutely amazing, made us hungrier while we waited for one of the servers to notice we were alive. Luckily, one of the chefs who looked extremely busy in the kitchen did say a friendly hello. There were some empty tables in the dining area and the wait staff were running around with reserved signs and trying to make shift tables for people. This restaurant was very small and amongst the chaos there is a musician sitting with his back to the entrance, singing and suing guitar and taking up space and adding noise to the confusion. Don't get me wrong, I am a musician myself and a huge advocate of live music...in the right place at the right time. At this little restaurant, with all this chaos upon entry...it was not adding to the experience. Finally someone did come over and ask how many of us there were (did I mention we were the only people standing there?). They went back into the dining room to check the empty tables and check with the other staff. The only table available was reserved for 1:30 and the time currently was 12:30. We weren't looking to make an afternoon of it so we said we would take it and surely we could have lunch in an hour? Note to self there are other tables of 4 with people currently mid meal...would these tables not be finished their meals by 1:30? We were seated at the table once again told we needed to be out by 1:30. The chalk board menu board was brought to our table. The menu looked amazing and judging by the other meals at other tables we were in for a great meal! As we were reviewing the menu, our server came back to the table to notify us that the 1:30 guests had at some point changed their reservation to 12:30 and we needed to not only vacate the table, BUT they now no longer had room for us! I would say one of the most embarrassing situations in a restaurant ever!!! We picked up our things after being seated, with the menu and vacated. As we were walking out the door another staff member stopped us and said they could accommodate us at a bar table in a dark table right behind the guitar player, brutal table and too little too late! It's too bad this happened as I love the food at Rays but will never go back based on this spalling Customer Service Experience!

3 Thank Sara_Clarkson

Brampton, Canada
“Hidden Little Gem!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Celebrated our 21st Anniversary there last night...first time there didn't know what to expect but heard Great reviews! Not disappointed at all FANTASTIC as I told the chef when we left....shared a ceasar salad and crab cakes to start, very good!!! I had beef tenderloin topped with portobello mushrooms and garlic demi glaze...melted in my mouth "THE BEST" my husband had rack of lamb...perfect but the portion size was a little disappointing 2 racks is just a tease especially the size of them and how good they were...he could have ate a couple more! Garlic mashed potatoes and lot of veggies which was great! Topped it off with a white chocolate cheese cake (((mmmmmmm!)))) and specialty coffees....the young man entertaining us presented excellent background ambiance....would absolutely return and we think this is our favourite new restaurant....worth the drive to Alton!!!!!!

• Visited December 2012
Orangeville, Ontario
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went last night for dinner. We had heard great things about the food & it truly exceeded our expectations!! I had the most amazing steak dinner ever. The service was top notch. Great choices on the menu board....something for everyone! We will be back for sure:) Reservations for dinner for sure.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Lita29
Canada
“Yummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stopped in to buy some baked goods and ended up eating lunch. Had soup and sandwich and was impressed with both. Will definately be back.

Visited October 2012
Toronto, Canada
“hidden gem in alton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I came in with my family about a week or so ago on the weekend. The place was totally full and i can see why, the food is excellent. Great presentation, great atmosphere, awesome live music. However, i do have a bit of constructive criticism. When i first walked in the door it was busy, so naturally i waited at the bar to be seated. There was a tall server with long brown hair behind the bar. I waited for her to notice me standing there but she just looked like she was in a hurry and ignored me even though she looked right at me and knew my wife and i were there. I would have liked at least a "ill be right with you" or something. The other server looked equally as busy but when she left the table she was speaking with she promptly came up to me and seated me right away and apologized for our wait. I ordered the steak while my wife ordered the chicken parm. The demi glaze is possibly the best i've ever had.
On the way out our server Susan thanked us for out patronage and tempted us into getting a few treats from the dessert case. Absolutely lovely night and great service.

• Visited October 2012