“Relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings”
Review of Hotel Antares

Hotel Antares
Hatfield, United Kingdom
“Relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My wife and I were very pleased with the room allocated : very clean with plenty of room, large bathroom with showerand a balcony with a nice view of the valley .
The quality , variety and abundance of food and good wine selection is a major asset. Service was excellent and everybody was friendly and helpful.
Ideally situated in the centre of a gracious village we were able to access all the facilities offered without using the car.
We are thinking of returning in the summer

Room Tip: Ask for superior rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CPB213

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
seattle, washington
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Our group arrived at the hotel ready to ski, relax and share time. This hotel does not have a spa, they do have an indoor pool.
There is no internet connection in the rooms, you can pay for connection in the lobby.
We paid for an upgraded room, we got a standard room with a space like a walk in closet where they had a day bed and wicker chair, we used it to store clothes.
The bathroom had a small stall shower, no tub and a single sink. One thing I hope for after a long day of skiing is a chance to either sit in a bath tub or steam room.
The bed was o.k. but the pillows were the worst I have ever had.
The food in the hotel was the one highlight as well as the bar and staff in both.
The ski room was small often the boot heaters did not work and only two benches to sit on while putting on your boots etc.
I believe there are many other better choices if you are skiing in this area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Renee B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I have taken a group to this hotel 5 times now for a conference. The staff have looked after us well and the food has been very good. It's an easy walk to the main lift out of town.
I was particularly impressed with the bar man 'Max' this year, he looked after us all very well as did Eva on the front desk.
The conference room was comfortable for meetings and presentations.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank johncog
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed February 7, 2011

All the hotel staff members were gracious and accommodating. The reception area staff were very professional, courteous, friendly and attentive to our needs and requests. They went above and beyond on many occasions. For instance they helped us arrange a wine tasting event for our group with an outside vender and they provided personal assistance when my Italian based cell phone needed to be "recharged" with additional credit. I was unable to understand the instructions which were in Italian, so they were kind enough to explain the process to me and then assisted me with initiating the credit recharge.

Our room was very comfortable and well lit with more than enough space for my roommate, myself, and all of our ski gear. The bathroom was clean and spacious with a large shower, hair dryer and all modern appliances. Housekeeping did an excellent job of cleaning the entire room each day and provided plenty of toiletries.

Breakfast and dinner was provided each day as part of our package. The dinning room staff were courteous and considerate, especially for those with special requests. There was an abundance of food to select from at both meals and the dinner menu, which changed daily, offered a variety of first and second courses to suit any palate. Wine choices were plentiful and enjoyable, and the desert selections were delightful. In short we ate very well during our stay!

In addition, the hotel maintains a relationship with the ski shop next door. I had to rent skis for this trip, so this was particularly relevant for me. The shop staff provided me with top-notch skis that were appropriate for the conditions and my ski ability. And the skis were tuned to perfection! It was an absolute pleasure to deal with them.

• Stayed January 2011
Randolph, NJ
Reviewed February 3, 2011

The best part of hotel Antares is the food. Their restaurant is outstanding. I was there with a group of skiiers. Our breakfasts and dinners were included and they were more than worth the money. Just the offerings at the self-serve appetizer bar would have been be sufficient for a decent dinner. But this course was followed by a pasta, meat/fish course and desert. Selection of these courses changed daily and there were more than enough choices for each. Presentation was ellegant as well. I would have liked to have some plain water included in the meal, but it had to be ordered by bottle for extra cost (as it is typical for Europe, I won't hold it against them).
I would not recommend this hotel as a base for skiing though, unless you are young, strong and ski expert trails. It does not provide shuttle to the lifts and does not have easy access to easier trails. Walk to a gondola is the shortest but trails from the top of that lift were challenging, especially in icy conditions we had.
Most of the staff are friendly, but not all of them are helpful. On one occassion I was not feeling well and my room was being cleaned so I rested on a couch in the lobby. Within a minute a receptionist came by and without asking what was wrong said "your bed is in your room madam".
Rooms are clean and nicely decorated, but lack functionality. There is ample shelf space, but not a single drawer. Bathrobes are provided but there are no hooks in the bathroom to hang them. The only trash can is in the bathroom.
Internet is only available in the lobby and it costs quite a bit. That's a major drawback for me.
The pool is nice, but (as pointed out in other reviews) the silly and outdated cap requirement is enforced. Jacuzzi is just a tub in the health center, it is available by reservation only and it costs 10 Euros. Not skiier friendly arrangement.

If I go back to Selva, I will find a hotel with a lift shuttle and eat at Antares.

• Stayed January 2011
3 Thank Anna_Sarah
Rome
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We found the Antares quite disappoining.
Position is good, central and just a short walk from the slopes but in Selva many other hotels are directly on the slopes and far more comfortable.
The hotel is a little dated, big, without the charming, intimate and nice atmosphere of mountain hotels. On Christmas holidays it was also very crowded and full of families and kids.
Staff was not very helpful and professional and food was not as we expected.
On New Year's eve they had music (piano bar) and a kids entertainer. Kids were having fun but it's abosutley not to reccomend for couples.
We belive that 4 stars have been given only for the SPA.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yes_Si_Ya
Romania
Reviewed December 27, 2010

very nice staff, beautiful and very clean rooms, good food, nice restaurant.
very good food for breakfast and dinner, especially antipasta at the latter.
the only thing that i wish was better, the ski room is a bit far down a coridor, so you'll carry your skis a bit more.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple