Casa Mazzola B&B
$587
Majestic Palace Hotel(Sant'Agnello)
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshis sonrecommend casalemon cakeperfect hostsbay of naplesbus that runstrain stationartistic toucheshomemade tomatodrawn mapsminutes by carsmall plunge poolmarina del cantoneeach morninghome away from homebruschettavisit capri
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We absolutely loved our stay at Casa Mazzola. We had no idea what to expect and we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Luigi and Ugo were wonderful! They made us feel at home and went out of their way for us. Each morning Luigi would help plan our day and handwrite maps for us on what to see and how to get there. Both Luigi and Ugo helped us get to where we needed to go. We went to the Amalfi Coast, Pompei and Sorrento. But our favorite times were enjoying the view at Casa Mazzola at the end of the day and eating dinner at the local pizzeria!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is a very difficult review to provide; therefore some background. I am a spoiled American. I like Western-brand hotels (not necessarily full service, but Marriott Courtyards, for example). I like the fact that if I have a bad day overseas, these hotels are very familiar to me, especially the fact that most have staffs that speak fluent English, food options are not difficult to choose from, and most are convenient to public transportation. But I wanted to do something different, much different, for this trip. I used TripAdvisor to find Casa Mazzola.

There are several options to get to Casa Mazzola from Naples – a motor coach, a train, a rental car, and a private car. I choose a very expensive private car primarily because the Naples airport and train station are not readily associated with one another, and the motor coach schedule (available at the airport) was not convenient to the arrival of my flight. The driver was waiting for me at the airport, and it took about an hour to get to Casa Mazzola.

I did not realize just how far out of town Casa Mazzola is. It is actually on the outskirts of Sant’Angello. I had the impression that Sant’Angello was a community within Sorrento. That is not the case – it is the next town over. It is something to keep in mind when considering this property. (Transportation options to/from Sant’Angello and Casa Mazzola are described accurately in other reviews.)

The property itself provided a clean room, a private bathroom, and great views of the Bay of Naples and Sorrento. The breakfast was OK, but nothing spectacular. Of course the owners, Luigi and Ugo, were very nice and helpful. But there were times that I felt that I was a guest in someone’s house, rather than a property that I was paying for.

Once you arrived in Sant’Angello from Casa Mazzola, you could walk about ½ mile to the train station, or walk about a mile to Sorrento (on a narrow road with no sidewalks in some places). There is a bus that transports you from Sant’Angello should you so choose.

This is a very unique property. But it is best suited for travelers with a car (as many guests had) or travelers who aren’t necessarily interested in spending time in Sorrento and its environs. I spent considerable time arranging my schedule to meet that of the bus to Sant’Angello or worrying about getting back to the designated pick up spot in Sant’Angello. (Also, I had to call Ugo when I needed to be picked up. My wireless is AT&T international, but I know that Verizon generally does not work in Europe unless the phone you own was specifically purchased for that purpose.)

Bottom line, I am giving this a “very good” rating, notwithstanding the fact that I would probably not choose this type of property in the future.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lamphs
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is our 4th stay at Casa Mazolla and we can't praise it enough. Luigi and Ugo are just the best hosts that you can have, they are so warm,helpful and friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. Again we had our wonderful room with views looking over the bay of Naples (sitting on our balcony in the evening was a joy). We always use the public transport and really don't have any problems at all, you just have to plan ahead, however Luigi or Ugo will also offer to pick you up or drop you off in Sant Agnello if you wish. Casa Mazola is ideally situated up on a hill within the local community, it is so peaceful and ideally situated for sight seeing. We have had a wonderful time visiting some fantastic places like Paestum, Pompeii, Ischia, Capri, Vesuvius and of course the Amalfi coast. We still have lot's more places to visit and will be back to stay with Luigi, Ugo and Family. Judy and Dave Edinburgh

Room Tip: Ask for bay views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Judy M
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We thought that Casa Mazzola, had it all - character, charm, wonderful views looking down to Sorrento. Sitting on the terrace was a pure joy, soaking in a truly Italian experience. Luigi and Ugo made us feel so much at home, if you go to this establishment once you will surely want to go back again.

Thanks to Luigi and Ugo for making our stay so special, one we shall never forget.

Jill and Steve of Slains Studio, Cruden Bay, Scotland

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed 4 days end of May. We chose Casa Mazolla because of the reviews, and it was just as described., Luigi and Ugo so helpful, friendly and full of fun. Sorry Ugo, but you cannot marry my daughter even though you would be a lovely son in law!! We were met by Ugo from Naples airport, 70euros. We did not want any hastle with cases etc. We had a good sized room, with ensuite. Room opened onto the terrace and pool. Pool good for dipping into to cool, but as described, it is not for swimming. Sitting on the terrace overlooking Sorrento Bay just wonderful. Yes, there are cokerels crowing, cows mooing, a peacock, but hey you are in the country here. We heard absolutely no noise from the road. It was just peaceful.

We usually stay in 4/5* hotels, but wanted something more friendly, and Casa Mazolla was just that. We were given full instructions of the bus timetables, times we could ask to be taken into and collected from Sorrento etc. All good advice to make our holiday more enjoyable. After this, we will bypass the big unfriendly hotels, and look for b and b's, although not sure there are many Luigi and Ugo's around.

Breakfast was included. Usual cold meats, cheese, omelette, fruit and then the cake. Two cakes always on the table, lemon, coconut and chocolate whilst we were there. Bread one morning still warm, absolutely delicious. Coffee, tea, fruit teas etc. all available.

The bus down into Sorrento was every hour and not really a problem. Some guests hired a car and enjoyed their couple of days, but we used buses and trains all the time. We were waiting for the bus to return to the hotel one afternoon when a car stopped, window wound down and we were asked if we were going to Casa Mazolla. It was a friend of Luigi who had been asked to pick up anyone who looked like a guest - taken to the door in a Mercedes.

Cannot praise Casa Mazolla enough. Read the reviews, read the hotel website. It is exactly as described. If that is what you want book it. If you want big, impersonal, in the middle of a busy town, then look elsewhere.

Room Tip: We were on the terrace overlooking the pool. Only downside, it faced west and only got the evening sun into the room. The sun set behind the mountains quite early, and there was a breeze from the sea whilst we were there making it a bit cool. No idea what the other rooms were like.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple