“alice m. excellent hotel”
Review of Hotel La Pergola

Hotel La Pergola
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“alice m. excellent hotel”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We arrived late on tuesday evening,but we were served a scrumptious cold meal,had a good nights sleep in our room,which was very clean and quite adequate ,the staff are very friendly and speak much better English than i Italian.The hotel is a short walk into the heart of Sorrento .The breakfast is very good with plenty of choice .The evening meals are really lovely,with a choice of three dishes for each course,very tasty and nicely presented.Rooms are cleaned every day,and clean towels provided daily also.This small family run hotel is an excellent base for visiting the many beautiful and fascinating sights in this area.Highly recommended .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank alice m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We arrived late on the tuesday pm, but there was a lovely cold platter waiting for us. Every single member of staff were friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The food was to die for!! I stayed in room 11, right next to reception so it was a little noisy, but nothing that bothered me. Room is basic but clean and thats all i ask for. The walk into sorrento takes 15 mins depending on which way you go. The staff I cannot praise enough, they were polite and happy to have a joke and a laugh with us. I highly recommend them. The menu is given to you every morning so you can chose which dishes you would like. The chef is happy to alter them for you if there is nothing you like.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Carol K
Maindstone
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We’ve just returned from a very relaxing 4 night break at the Hotel La Pergola in the heart of Sorrento. The hotel was very clean and had all the amenities you would expect of a hotel of this standard and price. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English, certainly better than our Italian! Nothing was every too much trouble for the fantastic staff right from the reception to the bar and the reastaurant.

The location is fairly central and easy to find, but eating out requires a reasonable walk of around 20mins or a short taxi ride which the reception staff were very happy to arrange including return journey. The hotel has a few parking spaces directly outside, but also has access to a locked car park a few yards further up the narrow road.

The hotel restaurant was of very good quality if a little limited in choice, you had to make your choice of starter and main course at breakfast, presumably to ensure the kitchen had enough, but they may have a full menu peak times.

There was a 24Hr concierge and bar service all of which was charged to your room for settlement at the end of the stay. We ate twice in the restaurant which was excellent and had several visits to the bar for drinks and snacks and was very pleasantly surprised when we settled the bill not only to find that every item was fully itemised and correct but that the cost was so little we had only been charged 20Euros per head for a three course meal with a bottle of wine.

There may be some truth in the previous reviews regarding school parties however. Between us and 2 or 3 other couples, we had the whole hotel to ourselves for most of our visit but on the day we were leaving a party of 20-30 English school children arrived and whilst they were largely unthreatening they were very noisy and rowdy and the teaching staff accompanying them did little to control their boistrousness. Clearly this says more about English school children than the Hotel La Pergola, but it might be worth remembering that this is a possibility during English term times, something we are trying to avoid when travelling outside of the school holidays.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MLoftMaindstone
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

after a long trip out and a late arrival it was a relife to find a cold buffet was waiting for us... a FIRST SURPRISE... after a good nites sleep in a ground floor room,requested has my wife has problems with steps, we made our way to breakfast.. plenty of choice and plenty of it SECOND SURPRISE... rafael came over to welcome us and the choices for evening meal was shown to us... a choice of starter, main and dessert....
after a hard day sightseeing(only a 20 min walk into sorrent centre) we freshened up in what was a small bathroom but hey you dont spend your hols in it.. dinner was waiting and the ever vigilent rafael greated like long lost friends...the food was very good and was great to be treat to italian food..not an english dish in sight THIRD SURPRISE
all through our stay we were well attended to by all the staff.... the hotel was clean, quiet and well run.... we would go back and would recommend it to our friends

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank allan d
Llandovery
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a very Italian feeling hotel, the food was generally very good - not Anglicised, nicely prepared and well presented, plenty of it too. Breakfast selection was more than adequate, the morning rolls are lovely and everything else was available to ensure you got a good full tummy to sustain you in your sightseeing, shopping and relaxation all of which are easily accessed from the hotel.
Our room was perfectly adequate for our needs, the bathroom was big but the shower cubicle a bit tight. The standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel could not be faulted, and the staff were friendly and helpful.
The roof terrace was a great place to relax after a hard days sightseeing and the pool a welcome place to cool off in what was a lovely warm week.
All in all a very pleasant week, would I go back to Hotel La Pergola - most definately!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Karen C
Llangammarch Wells, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I am on a gluten free diet and always worry about eating abroad. I need not have worried. Rafael ( the Head Waiter) met me at check in and assured me he was aware of my needs. Every mealtime I had choices off the menu especially prepared by the chef, even a choice of puddings which was a real treat.!! All the staff were fantastic, really helpful at all times. The room was small, but had everything we needed for a base to explore the area. The hotel and our room in particular was spotlessly clean with beds and towels changed daily. The view from the roof terrace was great and the pool all you needed to cool down after a day sightseeing. All in all, a great , friendly hotel and a fab holiday

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are smaller. There is a lift so aim for upper floors with balconies for good view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gaynor W
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

After reading reviews saying how good it was, unfortunately I booked this hotel and it was the worst thing I have ever done.
The room is very very small, the bathroom is tiny and the shower you can stand in but not move its that small.

I asked at reception if we could change rooms and I would pay the extra cost, I was then given a larger room with no cost but 15 minutes later (during dinner) they took it off me again saying they have a guest for that room the next morning but this was not true as nobody stayed in that room for the next few days, they told me to come now and move out, I told them I will do it after i finish my dinner.
They went to our room without our permission and move out our belongings this made my wife and i very angry but they were not interested in sorting anything for us, they just did not care so you can imagine how my wife and I felt on the first day of our holiday.

The staff in the reception and the so called Head waiter were very rude and not friendly at all like some of the reviews I have seen they were just not interested in helping to sort things out. I did ask to speak with the manager but they said he was not available and he never made an appearance all week.

Now the food,
Breakfast, this was a joke not much choice at all, not even toast. If you drink anything just have water as the juice, well I don't know what it was .......
Dinner, it was like being back in school small portions and not very appetising.
Sunday we were told to arrive in the dinning room NO later than 7.30pm as dinner will be served to everyone at the same time , there was no choice what get is a set menu......my wife and I decided to eat out as I do not like being told what I have to eat or when to eat, I think maybe its the chef's day off and this so called menu was prepared yesterday. (Apparently this happened again on Thursday)

Monday we chose turkey with apple, sounded ok but when it came it was awful, the so called scalloped potatoes were all wet and soggy, the eggplant again was soggy and the turkey was not cooked it was still red, so we just walked out in discussed.
The rest of the week we ate out, we are not food gourmets but we like to enjoy nice food but what we were served here I do not call palatable.
This was an extra expense we did not expect but we were willing to do this to try and enjoy the holiday better.

All in all people say if you stay in a bad hotel it's like staying in Faulty Towers, but I can assure you this is worse.

I would recommend not to stay here as it will ruin your holiday just like it ruined ours.
Don't believe everything you read about hotels the English never complain.....BUT MY REVIEW IS TRUE !!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank TerryB21

Travelers are raving about these Sant'Agnello hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Londra
Hotel Metropole
Hotel Metropole
#80 of 100 in Sorrento
#10 of 29 in Amalfi

Been to Hotel La Pergola? Share your experiences!