This was the first 'package' holiday we have booked in 10 years and the first hotel for even longer so we were a bit apprehensive and unsure as to what to expect. We had chosen the Florida as we wanted to keep the cost down (family of 4 travelling in August!) and this hotel appeared to be good value.
With this in mind, we weren't expecting luxury and if you go thinking you're going to find a smaller version of the Hilton, then you will be dissappointed. This hotel isn't, and doesn't claim to be 5*. It is a straightforward small and friendly family run hotel and does this very well.
The staff are extremely friendly, especially the dining room staff ( Pepe and Vicenzo) and always welcome you and do their best to help as was the barman - the owner himself could perhaps smile a bit more!
The food was very good and there wasn't a meal we didn't enjoy (and that includes our children of 15 and 10). You have a choice of 3 starters and 3 mains each day (except Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - see below), which you choose the night before together with a self service choice of salads and desserts which change daily. I have a very good appetite and didn't go hungry. We were half board but drinks with our meals needed to be paid for (except for breakfast, where juice and coffee/tea are provided FOC). Breakfast is buffet style and includes toast, rolls, cold meats, cereals, hard boiled eggs and cake.
On Tuesday nights, it's 'Gala night' which means that you eat in the pool area outside rather than the restaurant and that you don't get to choose your meal - everyone has the same. The waiting staff make the evening enjoyable, but it does take the whole evening and there is live music, which went on a bit late (near midnight) and could probably be heard in Naples.
Thursday night is the 'Pizza party' which takes place in the garden. You get starters and dessert and, in between, as much pizza as you can eat. The pizza is cooked fresh in the stone oven in the garden and is excellent!
Although Friday night's dinner is served in the restuarant as usual, there is no choice offered - I assume this was because Friday is changeover day so they want to keep it simple for the cook!
Our room was small (especially for four) but was used only as a base and place to sleep. It was clean and comfortable. We had an upstairs room with a balcony which was really useful as we were able to leave the french doors open all day and night to try and keep the room cool. This is one thing the hotel could do with - air conditioning - you are able to borrow a fan which helps, but in the height of summer, it was still very hot. There is also only one plug socket, which was positioned 2/3 way up the wall. With the fan and several electrical appliances to use/charge this could have been a problem, but the hotel lent us a extention lead - make sure you have sufficient plug adaptors.
The pool and the area surrounding it was very good - it looked a lot cleaner and more inviting that either of the pools in the adjacent hotels and there were plenty of sun beds, some in the shade as well. The pool never got too busy and is 1.5m deep at one end, dropping sharply in the middle to 3.0m to the other end. The pool area is served by the bar where you can buy drinks and at lunchtimes, a selection of meals. We ate there on several occasions and really enjoyed the food - the pizza and spagetti carbonara in particular were good value and delicious.
Venturing away from the hotel is easy enough by foot to Sorrento or Sant Agenello. There is also a bus stop 2 minutes from the hotel heading towards Sorrento and the train station in Sant Agnello is 10/15 minutes walk and ideal for trips to Pompeii,etc. The train is incredibly cheap, but does make the London Underground look clean and tidy!
Overall, I found it hard to complain about anything to do with the Hotel Florida - just remember it's small and simple, not the MGM Grand!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Florida, with familiar conduction from three generation, is a charming resort surrounded by a traditional lemon and orange garden, located in a pleasant and calm residential area of Sorrento.The Hotel Florida is the ideal place to spend a quite holiday, the green citrus groves and the panoramas of the Sorrento Coast, the gastronomic specialities or the fantastic walks and excursion will make your stay in the Earth of the Sirens' land unforgettable.Sorrento historical center is 20 minutes walking distance. Within 300 metres away there is a typical Sorrentine beach "La Marinella" and a splendid terrace overlooking the sea. Here a charming scene is opened thanks to which it is possible to admire the bay of Sorrento, the entire Gulf of Naples and the Vesuvius. The shopping area of Sorrento or S.Agnello it is only ten minutes on foot.The Hotel Florida has its private swimming pool with wide solarium (free sunbeds), snack and cocktail bar, wide garden area. Private parking.Rooms are classically decorated, and offer free Wi-Fi. Each comes with a satellite TV, a work desk and an en suite bathroom. All the rooms have a balcony, with views of the garden or of the swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Hotel Florida reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Florida Hotel Sant Agnello
- Hotel Florida Italy/Province Of Naples