“Come here just for the Pasta!”

Hotel Club Sorrento
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights. We struggled to find accommodation in Sorrento as we were booking last minute and our travel agent found us this place.

To be honest when we arrived I was slightly underwhelmed as I was expecting the Italian coastline to be right next to us.

Rooms are average but clean. You won't be spending much time in there anyway! If you are a light sleeper the hotel is near the train line and you will hear the church bells but this didn't bother me. There is a pool but we didn't use it.

Sant Agnello doesn't really have much going on. However, there is a delicious bakery around the corner from the hotel. Buy the freshly baked biscuits. You will not regret it! Especially if like us you book a tour of Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius from the local Sant Agnello travel agent to take with you! The bus will pick you up near the hotel and drop you back.

Sorrento is a 20 minute walk away on a fairly busy street. I enjoyed this walk as it was an opportunity for my friend and I to talk and people watch but this may not suit everyone.

The BEST part of the stay at this hotel is Franko who looks after the dining area. I cannot rave enough about this man. I just adored him and his stories. I wish I had stayed longer to speak to him. My second favourite part about this hotel was the 10 euro dinner which gives you pasta, salad with a big piece of mozzarella and a peach. To be honest the pasta was delicious and after traveling through Italy I would still rate it in my top 5 pastas of the trip!

Another thing I would recommend is the Optometrist / Sunglasses shop around the corner from the hotel. The owner of this store made us feel so comfortable (offered us coffee, let us use the internet to check our facebook accounts) and he had all the popular designers and styles! My friend bought a pair of YSL's for 130 euro and he gave her a discount.

A part of me wishes I had stayed amongst the hustle and bustle of Sorrento (which gets very busy) but I do not regret staying here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank FaiA A

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in August2012, for four nights. Found the place clean, and the staff pleasant and helpful. The pool was a bonus as not many small budget hotels have a pool.enjoyed are stay and returned in October again for four nights still cheap and cheerful (thats the hotel) . loved Sorrento and liked the hotel , yesterday booked again for april. Forgot to say food is good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank anne m
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We travelled to Sant agnello for our silver wedding anniversary-so wanted a VERY SPECIAL HOLIDAY!!!
Here is our review-positives-service is v.good-especially from FRANCO and MARCO! LUIGI is also very pleasant and welcoming!
Towels are changed every day and room is cleaned.
Sant Agnello is a suburb of Sorrento and in our opinion not as touristy!

Negatives-train track runs alongside the hotel-disturbed our sleep!
Church bells ringing out-disturbed sleep!
lack of comfy sun loungers and shaded pool area-meant nowhere to relax on returning from sightseeing!
I would rate this hotel a 2 star not 3-due to lack of facilities and mediocre food and above factors.
We wish we had booked another hotel-despite the really lovely staff!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have more train noise!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sophie190736
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I travelled to Sorrento with a group and initially we were supposed to stay at another hotel which was overbooked, so a few weeks before the trip our agency confirmed that we will be accommodated at Club Hotel Sorrento. I checked the reviews and was not very optimistic about the place; still I did not have another option. I was trying to persuade myself it cannot be that bad, as sometimes reviews can be a bit exaggerated, but unfortunately this was not the case this time…
When we arrived my negative expectations were exceeded. Hotel is absolutely basic - it could not possibly be a 3 start hotel!!! Even not a 2 star one!!! And I have been to different places in Italy, so I do have a base for comparison, because hotels in Italy are a bit strange with the classification in general vs. rest of Europe.
Our room was relatively big and we were lucky to have one on the 1st floor, as the train Circumvesuviana passes just next to hotel and the guests on the higher floors were disturbed much more by the noise. Furniture too shabby - we had two chairs which were covered with various stains and looked disgusting. Stayed for 7 nights, but bed linen did not seem to be changed during this period at all. Towels were changed daily, but some of them were with enormous holes and their cleanliness was dubious. One night it was cold, I had to use one of the blankets, but was completely put off - they had stains all over and smelled awfully. I just had to put on some of my clothes on instead. In the bathroom there was no shower curtain and it got allover wet whenever one took a shower. Walls seemed to be made out of paper as I could hear very well the TV from the next room and also neighbours talking at night through my earplugs!!!
There is no fridge / mini bar in the room.
We had breakfast and dinner included in the price. What can I say about the food – it was awful and portions were funny. However the biggest problem were the plates, glasses and utensils – they were not clean at all; I got several times glasses with remaining lipstick stains, knives with remnants of food, etc. We just stopped having meals at the hotel.
Maybe the only good thing about the hotel is that it is located next to Corso Italia, which is the main street connecting St. Agnello (where hotel is located) and Sorrento. But you have to be aware that the distance from hotel to Piazza Tasso (the central square in Sorrento) is between 20-25 minutes fast walk. For eldery people it would definitely take more time than that. There was a bus stop just when you go into Corso Italia and 3 bus lines which can also take you to Sorrento center. It is not a problem to walk, but on some parts of the road sidewalks are almost non-existent, as streets are very narrow in the whole region.
My verdict – avoid this hotel it at any cost!!! There are much better other 3 star hotels and in my opinion it is really better to pay a bit higher price, but to have at least a normal stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank crazytotravel9
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Before reviewing this hotel, it is important to decide what you want from a holiday. Sorrento isn't a beach holiday. The beaches are black volcanic sand, small & very expensive (you can pay £15 each per day - and can pay even more when visiting Capri, Positano or Amalfi).

Sorrento is really a base for sight-seeing, and on that basis, the hotel is fab! The staff were so friendly, couldn't do enough for you. They all knew our name, and all staff welcomed us every time they saw us.

If you're half board, you get your own table for meal times, so regardless of what time you eat, there is always space for you. The food isn't buffet service, it's all freshly cooked. You generally have 2 or 3 options for each course. The starter is as big as the main meal, often a choice of soup or a pasta dish. The main meal is normally served with a side salad, and the dessert was often (but not always) fruit.

The pool was very small, and there are no loungers, only deck chairs, but more than enough for everyone as most people don't spend the day here. But it is welcomely refreshing after a day exploring. The staff will bring anything you want out to the poolside. The pool is overlooked by the railway, but it really isn't an issue. The church bell tower also overlooks the pool, but again, didn't annoy us!

The train station is only a 2 min walk away, and is ideal & cheap for exploring Pompei, Mt Vesuvius, Naples or Herculaneum.

Our room was very clean, a reasonable size, but contained only 1 wardrobe, which isn't a lot as this was a family room. There is no other storage.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Julie H
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Service is poor, they tried to be friendly but failed most of the time. The breakfast is ok! You can eat better in Sorrento. The bed linen is not changed everyday. The rooms are average and shower tiny. They overbooked and I did not get the room I paid for.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank mimisame
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have just returned from a two week break in Italy, staying at the Hotel Club. Had decided to bite the bullet and go with the cheap option despite some reviews and am made up we did. Hotel is clean, friendly and in my opinion very well located.

Sorrento is a 15 minute stroll to the right of the hotel, and train station is ten minutes in the other direction. This meant a perfect base to set off in the mornings to either Sorrento's marina to take a boat to Capri or Ischia, or a walk to the station to catch trains to Pompeii etc. Our stay meant we were out every day visiting something, and the hotel was perfect for this, if you want a pool holiday, there is a pool, but you may be annoyed by the close train track and church bell, however do not let this put you off if you want to explore the local areas as it will not keep you up at night like some suggest!

A few more tips if you do come here, to the left of the hotel is a short walk to Pizze da Asporto, where young owner will make you fresh pizza for 5 euros in front of your eyes, the best we found in our fortnight. Also, a gem of a restaurant in Sorrento is Ristorante O'Murzill, amazing fish, wine and service. Don't be drawn in by the fancy suited waiters at the huge restaurants, we found the smaller intimate ones served the best food.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: The room is what it is, bed, shower room with basin and toilet, balcony, cupboard and saftey deposit...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Alfie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Mediterraneo Sorrento
#3 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
Hotel Villa Maria
Hotel Villa Maria
#74 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Hotel Club Sorrento? Share your experiences!