“Salvatore should be in the opera.”
Review of Taverna Rossa

Taverna Rossa
Ranked #24 of 63 Restaurants in Sant'Agnello
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were walking down via Cappucini from our hotel, Club Hotel, with the intention of making it to Ristorante Moonlight at the other end. We never made it because halfway down we were arrested by Salvatore, this rather flamboyant dude with an operatic tenor who was telling us how brilliant his pizzas are and what excellent value they represent. He even recommended a local wine, Falanghini, to us by means of a full glass which he held out to me and said 'you try it, I did not drink from it'.

As the guy worked the floor so well, we thought we would give it a try. Lots of veggie options, we went for the gnocchi in tomato sauce and spaghetti in some other kind of sauce. At €8 or €9 a go it certainly won't break the bank but won't feature in any Michelin reviews either. Basic, but it did the job if you want a utility feed. The bottle of Falanghini white wine came in at €13, which I suppose if a hell of a mark up but then he's got to make a living. Bravo, Salvatore.

1  Thank Justin B

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Great food sea bass was superb cooked to order and owner even suggested clams and muscles with spaghetti which my wife said was the best she had ever tried......not to salty perfect balance and not over cooked, brilliant price for 3 people my sea bass was only 8 euro. Highly recommended

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I ordered a pizza and table wine , total bill €13 , the pizza was ok ( he used can mushroom ) i would have a little extra for fresh one, but for pizza and table wine for under $20 I would have pay a lot more in orther cities for the same quality .. The owner is very funny and pleasant , good service.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The staff is nice, but I ate a gnocchi and it has to much flour and didn't have taste of potato. It was disapointing.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We constantly walked past this place when walking to S. Agnello station and decided to go in after a quick glance at their cheap menu. We and 2 other tourists were there (we visited around lunchtime) and the man who I presume is the chef brought us over the specials if the day after we had read the menus. He told us what was in each dish and even offered to refund us if we didn't like one dish which he swore was the best.

My partner went for the local fish dish from the specials menu. It looked amazing with a good portion of small meaty fish cooked with fresh tomatoes. His only complaint was the bones.. but even then he wiped the plate clean.
I ordered the parmaham and mozarella kebab from the usual menu which was absolutely divine. I also had a side salad which complimented it well.

We were also both offered a complimentary glass of prosecco, which was the sweetest most delicious prosecco I have had.

The staff, especially the man was incredibly friendly. We thank him for his advice and friendliness. The meal really set us up for the day ahead,